5th wheel vs Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
If you don’t see having to go down stairs in the middle of the night as a negative,, you’re a lot younger than us. That one issue is a deal killer for us getting a 5th wheel.
I would point out that it may be a negative for you, but a blanket statement that having to go down stairs at 3:00 am is a negative implies it is a negative for everyone. I am, by the way, over 70 and I have no problem with the stairs in my 5th Wheel whatsoever. Just curious. How would you exit your trailer at 3:00 am if needed? I mean there is a step......
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #22

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
I prefer a trailer because in most 5th wheels, you sleep in the front which is next to the road if you are in an RV park. I like sleeping in the back where I can look out the window at the scenery. And I don't have to drive a truck when I run into town for groceries : )
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
If you don’t see having to go down stairs in the middle of the night as a negative,, you’re a lot younger than us. That one issue is a deal killer for us getting a 5th wheel.
I am young, only 62, but the steps really offer no issue. 3 steps is way less than I deal with regularly at home. But, we all have our own preferences and desires to different features of all the models. I know some of my concerns with some models are definitely bit shared by all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #24

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I would point out that it may be a negative for you, but a blanket statement that having to go down stairs at 3:00 am is a negative implies it is a negative for everyone. I am, by the way, over 70 and I have no problem with the stairs in my 5th Wheel whatsoever. Just curious. How would you exit your trailer at 3:00 am if needed? I mean there is a step......

I'm over 70 and have no problem with the steps either. I'm usually not up until 4 am though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Hunt View Post
I prefer a trailer because in most 5th wheels, you sleep in the front which is next to the road if you are in an RV park. I like sleeping in the back where I can look out the window at the scenery. And I don't have to drive a truck when I run into town for groceries : )
When I sleep I don't look out the windows. When I eat or lounge I do look out the windows and want those windows in the back, not where I look at the road or everyone walking by.

My F150 is as nice a ride as any other tug I know of.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Somewhat interesting as an owner of an Escape 19, the most common complaint I hear about the 19 is the bed in the rear. Many would prefer the dinette in the rear, where they can sit and enjoy the great outdoors.

We really loved the floorplan of our relatively small fifth wheel we had decades ago. Great separation between the bed area and the rest of the trailer was our #1 like.

As far as the steps, we work out twice a week, #1 goal is maintaining mobility so we can continue to enjoy what we enjoy as long as possible. I've actually made progress in that regard, which has been a pleasant surprise. Mobility workout goal #1, core strengthening is #2.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Barb, as someone has pointed out, I sleep when I am in bed, I’m not looking at scenery and would rather see the “back yard” when I am at the dinette. That being said, a preference not to drive a truck has merit and is a logical reason for some people. I would point out as an aging person I find myself sleeping fewer hours per night. And as to the post I referred to as a “blanket statement,” I honestly find backing down the steps in the dark, using the higher steps as a handhold or to steady myself at 3:00am, 4:00am or whenever I wake up, far preferable to climbing over my spouse or her crawling over me due to the bed’s orientation in most (not all) small fiberglass trailers.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our little Scamp is small and open with large windows on both ends, so no matter where you are in the trailer, you have expansive views in both directions. My wife likes to sit at the rear dinette and look out the front window. Guess the real advantage goes to small trailers...

In the campgrounds I've visited, site orientation and best views are so variable that choosing a trailer based on which end has the bed seems destined to become a dog chasing its tail.

Besides, if you can't catch the view from inside, step outside. It's camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
If one is to believe the so called experts one should camp with their trailer aligned on an East / West axis with the head of the bed oriented to the East
This aligns your body waves with nature’s waves

In the articles I read there is no mention of roads or scenery or driving a truck being a factor in the proper alignment of the waves
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #29

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In the campgrounds I've visited, site orientation and best views are so variable that choosing a trailer based on which end has the bed seems destined to become a dog chasing its tail.

Besides, if you can't catch the view from inside, step outside. It's camping!
Guess I'll disagree on that.

In back-in sites 100% of the time my front is facing the road/walkers. 100% We've been in five campgrounds so far on this trip, and only in Joshua Tree did we have a pull through where it's a tie where both ends have a view of the road/walkers. We're leaving for Chiricahua National Monument where we'll also be in a back-in site. We also choose outside sites whenever possible.

This is being written outside at Kartchner Caverns in 45 degree weather, but it's sunny, clear, and beautiful.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #30

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniebob View Post
When manufacturers compute the tow limits, multiple factors are involved, including:
  • Engine power
  • Torque
  • Braking strength
  • Suspension ability
  • Drivetrain factors

By placing the weight directly over the rear wheels, instead of at the rear end of the vehicle, it provides better performance for the last two factors. That is why you can safely add 20%, as long as you have enough engine power to perform well.
This is just wrong. Why 20%? Why not 30%? Hope you aren't using this foolishness to justify towing overloaded
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #31

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We're leaving for Chiricahua National Monument where we'll also be in a back-in site.
It would be great if you would post a review of the campground at Chiricahua. It's been quite a few years since we were there but thinking of going again later this spring. IIRC the campground was small and close quarters. Fabulous place, for sure.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

This is being written outside at Kartchner Caverns in 45 degree weather, but it's sunny, clear, and beautiful.

Enjoy,

Perry
If you have any interest in military history dating back to the settlement of that part of the Country, Ft Huachuca is nearby and was home to the famed Buffalo Soldiers in the late 1800's. There's a great museum near the original cavalry parade field and the Post cemetary is an interesting place to walk through.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote