92 Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2003, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
92 Bigfoot

Since looking at you site I'm sold on all fiberglass trailer is the way to go. I have found a 1992 17ft Bigfoot, but it is 200 miles away and the sell has no way to send me any photos.(long story). So I am looking for any help I can get. I went to the NADA site and saw they listed a 1990 M-17STD that was 17' long and 7'10" wide, and a 1993 M-17 Gaucho that was 17' and 6'6" wide. Both weighted in at 1875 lbs they had no listings for 1991 and 1992.
I felt like from what I saw this was the place to start. Any help I could get would greatly be appreciated, Than:cheers :cheers :shg ks Dave

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:44 PM   #2

Both models of the Bigfoot 15B17 are 16'7" long and 8' wide on the exterior. Given the heavy construction and insulation of Bigfoot walls, imagine the interior length of your dinette bed if the trailer was only 6'6" wideon the outside. Also considering one side of the dinette, at the head or the foot, has a storage compartment about a 12"s deep!

The dry weight (before filling tanks) is more like 2600 lbs. I could be wrong about the 1992 but these measurements seem to be quite consistent in all of my research.

(If I am not mistaken the Casita is around 1800 lbs and I can assure that the Bigfoot is heavier.)

Try these sites (and keep watching them regularly)
www.buysell.com
www.canadatrader.com
www.rvtraderonline.com

If I were you - I would phone Bigfoot and ask them.

Bigfoot Industries Inc.
4114 Crozier Road
RR3 C44 Palisades
Armstrong, B.C. Canada V0E 1B6
Phone: (250) 546-2177
Fax: (250) 546-2166
E-mail: sales@bigfootrv.com
Web: www.bigfootrv.com

P.S. Most of the used Bigfoot 17's around here seem to be pre 1990's. People don't sell them that quickly so I think the 92 unit your are looking at is worth the drive - to give it the once over. You will know right away if the trailer has been abused. I doubt it, but spend 75 bucks and have an rv shop give it the once over. In case you want to know, your trailer would sell up here for about $10,000 to $12,000 CDN
(6400.00 to 7800.00 USD) You may pay more because of the rarity in your part of the country. Heck it might even be gone by now. Go look at it! ;)

Good Luck! :)

Old 01-28-2003, 06:58 PM   #3

92 bigfoot

Dave, I had a 1980 17' bigfoot before I got my 24'Bigfoot and I'm sure the dry weight was also 1875 lbs. I have a 2000 bigfoot catalog and it says the dry weight for a 17' is 2490 lbs.I would make sure that it has not been hit or has any major cracks. I agree with rick, don't wait to long or it will be gone. If you buy it I would put a good coat of wax on it like Star brite Premium RV Polish with Teflon, it is made in the States and I did my trailer( a lot of work) and it was worth it. When I put my 17' in the paper it was sold in about 3 days. Don't Wait, Just buy it. All the trailers from Bigfoot that I have seen come with axles from the Factory with saddles on top so if you want to lift it you can put the springs on top of the axle and it will give you about 4 inch lift. I did this with both of my trailers.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:16 PM   #4

Dan is right

In retrospect to what I said- the Bigfoots and almost all TT's have been getting heavier - are they really or are the builders just being more honest about it?

The Bigfoot 17 has been around for about 24 years or so - anything is possible.

Phone Bigfoot and hopefully someone there will know.

I also failed to mention that Mike T. has a 1997 17 footer and he may be able to shed more light on the subject. :)

Star Brite Premium RV Polish with Teflon - also available at Canadian Tire.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #5

92 Bigfoot

Guys thanks for the help, I did e-mail Bigfoot and they said they would (snail) mail me something, that why I came here quicker response, its up in Georgia and the guy is asking $4600, But I'm a little concerned about the weight. the main tow car would be a Pontiac Aztek and with the tow package is still only rated at 3500 lbs. the price seems good, but if I have to tow it with the truck. it could make some long trips with three in the cab. I guess the reason I'm asking all the dumb questions is I saw here a post or an older 13ft Bigfoot that looked just like the Boler/Scamp/Casita style, and with the Aztek the lighter weight means a lot. Guy once again really thanks for all of the help............
PS I'm a really poor speller and use the spell check at work and I have been so hype up about this,that I have forgot to clic the spell check, so the poor folks at Bigfoot must think I'm real dumby LOL.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:45 PM   #6

Hey

Don't worry about spelling.;) That wasn't a requirement to join the gang.:wave

Old 01-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #7

spell checker

Well, :) then they would be pleasantly surprised. anyone that wants a Fiberglass TT can not be a dumby. You should see our spell checker thread. can't remember if it is in Jokes or General.:o
When i send anything to someone, I keep adding the little smileys. That is bound to be impressive. :reye2

Old 01-28-2003, 07:55 PM   #8

asking

I guess the reason I'm asking all the dumb questions is I saw here a post or an older 13ft Bigfoot that looked just like the Boler/Scamp/Casita style, and with the Aztek the lighter weight means a lot. Guy once again really thanks for all of the help............

The 13 footer was called a Li'l bigfoot. FYI super rare and super popular.

The concensus is if the one you are looking at is in good condition..buy it.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:27 PM   #9

dbjohnson

Correct me if I am wrong, but you said you were looking at a 17 foot Bigfoot. I don't think I would tow that with a Pontiac Aztek. The shorter wheelbase that I think it has, would not be stable for towing a BF17. If it is the 13 then you should be ok.

Bear in mind that tow ratings on vehicles depends on the exact vehicle you have. By this I mean engine, transmission, rearend gears, hitch, etc. For example, my Durango is rated about 5-10 different ways depending on the version you have. Please be careful! :)

Old 01-29-2003, 06:44 AM   #10

You better listen to Rick on this one. That vehicle will not have the length/weight ratio to two a Bigfoot. Their is a site but I do not have the link and it shows what happens when suv's are mis matched for towing trailers and it is not pretty.

I expect that the dry weight might just be over your tow limit. It will for sure go over ready to camp and with the car loaded. Not only will you have towing problems your going to have engine, trans, and performance problems as well. Just some thing to think about.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:26 AM   #11

towing

here is a nice link Pete D posted.
http://www.popuptimes.com/archives/75rule.asp
has some good all round information. not the one your were talking about, Stefan D, but a good one. found it by using the search button, upper right corner of the page. There are many post on towing to read.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:58 AM   #12

Bigfoot tow vehicle

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick

Correct me if I am wrong, but you said you were looking at a 17 foot Bigfoot. I don't think I would tow that with a Pontiac Aztek. The shorter wheelbase that I think it has, would not be stable for towing a BF17. If it is the 13 then you should be ok.

:)
Hi Dave,

I agree with Rick. We have a 1983 17' Bigfoot. Ours is also rated at 1875 lbs. We are pulling it with a 1997 GMC short box 1/2 ton standard shift pickup. It has the Vortec 6 cyl. engine. Our manual says that we are rated to pull 2,500 lbs. We definitely notice the trailer behind us, especially when on hills. If we could afford it, we'd change tow vehicles to something different, but it's not possible right now.

We are super happy with the Bigfoot and would recommend it highly.

Hope this helps. Marion

Old 01-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #13

92 Bigfoot

Rick they only offer one engin/transmission/gearing for the Aztek (which is the same as there Montana Van, I have read even the wheelbase is the same, just a different body) which is rated at 2500lbs, then with the factory tow package (we got) it brings it up to 3500lbs It has a sway bar, air shocks, beefed up cooling, etc I know it tows the Scotty great, and we towed a big U-haul to Wasington DC the summer with no problems. So maybe if some one has a Montana (I can' remember the name or the Oldsmoble van) they could give some insight.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #14

Mike T.

You have a Bigfoot 17 - do you think the Aztek is gonna do it?

Old 01-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #15

Aztek

The way I understand tow ratings the ability to brake with control is the benchmark. Even a Toyota PU could pull one but stopping is another thing....From what I've seen Montanas and Azteks are not suitable for anything other than light recreation. You'll probably go through front rotors and tires very quickly....

Could you? Yes.
Should you have a heavier tow vehicle? Certainly. The bigger the better.

Old 01-29-2003, 09:39 PM   #16

dbjohnson aka Dave

Mike T. My thoughts exactly - I wanted to make sure I wasn't off base.

We just want you to be safe Dave.

Old 01-29-2003, 10:50 PM   #17

92 Bigfoot

well thanks guys for the help sounds like I need to pass this one up , seemed like a good deal, but I could have gotten in to a lot of problems. I'll look for something else

Old 01-30-2003, 07:43 AM   #18

DB

DB ... since you are passing ... could you post the information, price, contact for the seller? Someone else here may be interested in picking it up!

Also, I towed several 16 foot Casitas, less than 2200 lbs, with 6 cylinder Olds Silhouettes, with no problem, over the highest passes in Colorado and Canada.

However, I wouldn't tow my current 17 footer with a mini-van. Some folks do, however. It would be no problem pulling, but stopping in a full panic stop would be iffy.

And I'm sure the Bigfoot would weight way more than the bluebook listing.

You made a wise choice passing it up, for your family's safety.

But as I said, please post the details of the seller, ok?

Old 01-30-2003, 08:43 PM   #19

92 Bigfoot

Thomas thanks for the link, it made some very good points, but I tell ya guys I still gonna look at it. If it still for sale I'm going to look at it Saturday, I'm going to check the weight and see if it has elect. brakes (can they be added??) I know my Dodge Dakota can pull it, and if I pack smart, (travel with the holding tanks empty, carry only one propane bottle, etc.) I can use the Atek for the short trips lees than 100 miles (most of our camping so far) But if I do pass it up I'll post the contact info on the board. Heck the worst that could happen if I buy it is that I would be trying to trade it for a Casita or Scamp here on the board LOL............. No I have towed alot of salt water boats and thats what got me having second thoughts, But I do appreceate everyone concern... Once again Thanks everyone.
Dave

Old 02-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #20

92 Bigfoot

Well I got it, needs some cleaning up, but overall not bad shape. I checked the manufactor data plate and they listed it as 2884/1310 lbs/kg GRVW and 850 kg dry, and it does have the elect brakes. Towed it back with the truck and I could tell it was back there, but my buddy who went with me (got me started camping again,he is a pop-up man) said if it doesn't work out he wants first shoot at it. I'll keep you updated thanks again............Dave

Tags
bigfoot