A Casita Boondocking at Big Bend - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smile A Casita Boondocking at Big Bend

Just ran across this over at RV.Net: A Casita at Big Bend Boondocking. Neat photos.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I lived there for two years.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wonderful pics. I'd love to see the door stained glass window. Kinda hard to see what it really is...

Thanks for sharing the link!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for posting. We'll be there for a week over Easter and are really looking forward to getting back.

On a recent visit, Cindy and I hiked into Pine Canyon (where these folks were boondocking) and were fortunate enough to see at least four Aoudad scrambling up a cliff. Awesome animals even if the NPS is trying to remove them as non-native species.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We just got back from a 'car only' road trip to Big Bend. We saw one 13' Scamp in the Rio Grande CG but owner was not in sight so we couldn't stop to talk.
A really amazing place.
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Casitas are great for boondocking...

I was just down in Big Bend last week with my Casita and a few friends from a hiking group. Unlike some people's bright and shiny trailers, my Casita seems to prefer dirt roads. Not everybody could sleep in the trailer so a couple people slept out in a tent. But having a kitchen and bathroom was great at the back country sites, which are pretty much just places to park. And it was a breeze to unhitch and drive to the trail heads. I'll be doing the same thing in a week over in Utah. Here's a few pictures.

Oh, and by the way, there were lots of children on that trail with the sign.
Attached Thumbnails
600_103128662.jpeg   600_103128732.jpeg  

600_103129082.jpeg  
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
were fortunate enough to see at least four Aoudad scrambling up a cliff. Awesome animals even if the NPS is trying to remove them as non-native species.
I hadn't heard of the 'Aoudad' before: "The Barbary Sheep (Ammotragus lervia) is a species of caprid (goat-antelope) native to rocky mountains in North Africa. Six subspecies have been described. Although it is rare in its native North Africa, it has been introduced to North America, southern Europe and elsewhere. It is also known as aoudad, waddan, arui, and arruis." I'd heard of the Barbary Sheep.
Neat looking animal: http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/...ks_456651c.jpg

Would really be a treat getting to see one & 4 would be GREAT!

Do they have sanctioned hunts for them in the National Park?

Checked on the term 'caprid': "The term 'goat-antelope' does not mean that these animals are true antelopes: a true antelope is a bovid with a cervid-like or antilocaprid-like morphology. The domestic sheep and domestic goat are both part of the goat-antelope group by its widest definition....." The term "goat-antelope" was new to me as well. Never know what one will learn here. Neat!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Adrian, it was definitely a unique experience and not something we could ever expect to repeat here in eastern NC.

I'm not sure what the official position is but when I mentioned our encounter to a staff member we ended up spending the better part of an hour filling out reports. Apparently ours was the first Aoudad sighting in the Pine Canyon area and that appeared to be matter of some concern.

The varied wildlife is one of our greatest pleasures in Big Bend. \While camped in the Basin on our last trip a small gray fox would pass through our campsite between the picnic table and bear box at almost the same time each evening and about an hour later would return using the identical path only in reverse. This happened every night we were there and his/her punctionality became a bit of a joke between Cindy and I.

Sure looking forward to getting back. The coyotes have really been making a racket around here for the past several nights - I'll take that as a sign that we need to head west soon.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have always wanted to visit there and the pics are great. I know they hire workcampers in that area too!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The photographer is also one of our members... maybe he'll see this thread and weigh in.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Glad there are other Big Bend fans out there.

I am the guilty party to posting the Big Bend pictures

It is a very special place with its wide variety of environments. Probably the most under rated National Park in my opinion.

Donna, I have the poor man's stain glass on the entry door of the Casita, it is a vinyl simulated stain glass. I enjoy the colored light that filters through it.

Al, interesting that you saw Barbary Sheep at Pine Canyon. Did not know there were any there. They are common at Palo Duro Canyon. I did find some wild horse last time in Big Bend.

Terry, there was a well publised Mountain Lion attack right outside the Lodge at Chisos Basin not too long ago. The father managed to fight the lion off his son that was attacked. I noticed that when I was recently at Anza Borrego

Adrian, (DeserkHawk) Always enjoy your posts on the Casita Forum.

I enjoy boondocking in my Casita. I have been configuring mine the last couple of years so that I can enjoy remote places in all diffferent climates.

A link to Galleries of other Big Bend pictures follows:
http://casitaadventures.smugmug.com/

Hope you enjoy the photos. Fiberglass trailers do rule!
baron100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, casita