a grand idea in the scheme of things - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Based on the changing times of more violence in the world, being single and little paranoia thrown in, I am puting this idea out there. The Airstream clan have long organized themselves in caravans travelling the countryside wide and far. On my own I find myself getting cold feet venturing out on my own. I just see it safety in numbers, and wonder if anyone else has ever pondered the idea of travelling in a group ?

I also see it as being more fun and much safer. Personally I would enjoy the camaraderie of being in a group of FG TT. For instance I haven't yet put in for my holidays but was thinking about heading from Vancouver Island to Cranbrook, BC. What about the idea of putting it out there and see who might be travelling up that way. Will be interesting to hear any feedback.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
My family used to go on vacation with 5 other trailer couples and their kids. It was a big pain in the butt. My father was ALWAYS the lead and had to worry about everything staying together - but not too close. He was the only one that could read a map and even have a map in their car.

What worked best for us later on, was discussing where we are going and we will meet you here and here. So, everyone 2-3 days, we would all meet up again.

We had some people that liked to sit for 2-3 days, drive like crazy to meet up with us at the next spot. Some people wanted to go see Washington, DC - not my father because he had camped on the White House lawn right before he was shipped off in WWII.

Anyway, it's nice to have people with you BUT they can rub on your nerves.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I think you have a good idea. Unless you buy a handgun, guard dog, or get a law enforcement officer or former Marine as a traveling partner, it sounds like a good idea for you. You are not paranoid but wise. Good luck.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I also think that a few trailers in a caravan would be safer in a lot of ways....great idea.. ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Some people prefer traveling and camping in groups and you may be one of them. If so, that's okay. If it makes you feel more comfortable, then I say do whatever it takes to help you enjoy camping.

However, I'm one of many solo camping women. Usually, my dog goes with me, but he has stayed with my husband before. In the beginning, I was very nervous, but time has helped that a lot. Those that have seen my trailer know that my trailer is plain on the outside, however, on the inside, it reminds me of what I strive to be.

“Over the years I've discovered that there's more to being a cowgirl than punching cows, or winning rodeo trophies, or galloping off into a movie sunset with Roy. Cowgirl is an attitude, really. A pioneer spirit, a special American brand of courage. The cowgirl faces life head on, lives by her own lights, and makes no excuses. Cowgirls take stands. They speak up. They defend the things they hold dear. A cowgirl might be a rancher, or a barrel racer, or a bull rider, or an actress. But she's just as likely to be a checker at the local Winn Dixie, a full-time mother, a banker, an attorney, an astronaut.”

—Dale Evans, quoted in The Cowgirl Companion

I haven't riden a horse in over twenty years, but that doesn't mean I'm not a cowgirl! And because I'm a cowgirl, well .... you know. Varmits don't mess with me.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
My neighbors are ALL cowgirls and cowboys (real ones) and I say, Right On! In the trendy patois of Oprah et al— You ride, girl!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I like the idea. Sort of a moving rally. It would be fun to plan a trip up the west coast, for example, and have the stops planned ahead so locals could join the group when it came close enough to home. I don't think caravanning on the road is necessarily necessary.. though some people might choose to do it- but having company in the campground at night would be fun, and I'd feel safer with people I knew.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think its a good idea in general.I have been in a situation where my wife and i were the only people around when boon docking.We were being botherd by some high school kids drinking and we were trapped .It got pretty scary , So when boon docking i now make sure others are around.
When travelling i would prefere to be independent and maybe meet people along the way at a prearranged time and place.I find most campgrounds where you pay are pretty safe.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Having herded (sheep in Scotland) and having been herded (army, rush hour), I say "baa-aa-aa" to traveling in a flock!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Suz

Registry
Quote:
I have been in a situation where my wife and i were the only people around when boon docking.We were being botherd by some high school kids drinking and we were trapped .It got pretty scary , So when boon docking i now make sure others are around.
Exactly. Cowgirls ain't dumb. We don't camp in the boonies alone.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #11

There are extremely empowered women on this site and I absolutely admire you for that ! It's great that you have no hesitation to "head out on the highway looking for adventure to what ever comes your way---". I have always considered myself an activist towards womens' issues, and presently establishing a womens' resource centre in this red neck community.

So, here is another idea of safety while travelling. When planning for a destination, put it out there where you would be going and the dates so if anyone wanted to join up the more the merrier. I have to add here too, I am single but not looking for someone else's husband because as an original baby boomer it's more about friendship now.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
So, here is another idea of safety while travelling. When planning for a destination, put it out there where you would be going and the dates so if anyone wanted to join up the more the merrier. I have to add here too, I am single but not looking for someone else's husband because as an original baby boomer it's more about friendship now.
That doesn't sound very safe to me. I would not want anyone being able to find out when and where I was going unless I knew I would NOT be alone when I got there.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #13

Good point never thought of it from that angle and you are right. That is critical thinking at it's best. Plan B now.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
OK, here's my take on the subject of safety while camping. My point is based on observations and some news stories.

We've seen a lot of ladies alone backpacking into to some pretty remote areas and have not heard of any problems.
We've camped in some pretty remote areas beside the car and with the trailer, never even seen anybody that we thought might be a threat. Again no reports we've seen of any problems.
We've camped in campgrounds. Some State, some federal, and some private rv parks. Oregon State campgrounds are very crowded and we've been more concerned there than anyplace we've camped. No concerns anyplace else.
Another observation, the news media sensationalizes any incident that's out of the norm. So the once in 10 to 15 years when something happens it's big news.
It appears to me the biggest danger is traveling between home and your camping spot. There's more crashes and injuries on the roads than any incidents when camped.

Conclusion: Be careful traveling, every other vehicle on the road is out to get you. Once camped, where ever that might be, relax you've survived another trip.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I shudder at the thought of trying to keep a caravan all traveling together, despite different trailer types, tow vehicles, and personal driving habits. Then there's the road rage than can be induced in normally reasonable cara and truck drivers by any string of RVs...

Maybe a more workable idea is the "chase" or "sweep" vehicle: if a group travels between agreed-upon sites by an agreed-upon route, then the designated last member can ensure that no one is stranded along the way, and can go get help from the others if there is a breakdown. If anyone fails to show up and is not found along the way, then it is immediately apparent that they are missing, just like a pilot with a flight plan or a hiker who has notified someone of their schedule.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #16
Suz

Registry
Quote:
There are extremely empowered women on this site and I absolutely admire you for that ! It's great that you have no hesitation to "head out on the highway looking for adventure to what ever comes your way---".

Well, I can't honestly say that it is without hesitation. That's usually part of the process just like getting my car and trailer ready. I finally told myself that I could sit here and become a grumpy old woman or I could get up and go. The cowgirl thing helps me remember that. I finally decided that I have a cell phone, I have Good Sams AND AAA, my car has On*Star, I have a dog, I make sure my car and trailer are ready, then I strap on my chaps and ride. Only family and those that I am meeting know my schedule. There are those that are certainly more daring than I, but it's all about ones own comfort level.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Quote:
...the designated last member can ensure that no one is stranded along the way, and can go get help from the others if there is a breakdown.
Unless the DLM is the one who breaks down!

Byron's comments are very sensible I think and I would bet they agree with most of our actual experiences.

My personal preference would be that women learn to protect themselves and thereby make the world a little less safe for the scumbags. But everyone should pursue their own level of comfort and if traveling in convoy is it, then so be it.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Take a cell phone, then you hopefully will be able to call for help anywhere and also call to all of your friends.

Making a caravan on the highway is just a big pain in the butt.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
You really only need to have one or two other trailers if using the caravan style. Not a large number of them. It is very common for RVers to use this method when traveling in Baja or Mainland Mexico. I see it all the time when I go down that way. But I would keep it simple. Those handheld 2 way radios reach a good distance and are not very expensive any longer. Do what YOU think best.

No need to be paranoid but also no need to be stupid. Alone or in small group, always use all the common sense you have gathered.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Unless the DLM is the one who breaks down!
Good point, of course. I was really thinking of performance rally competition, where that sweep role is taken by a non-competing official vehicle, or bicycle tours with a sweep van; for the trailer caravan it should be a non-towing vehicle or at least an experienced RVer with a particularly capable and well-equipped rig, and preferably some form of communication.

Someone in a caravan is always last, and if they are out of sight (or the reach of the radio...) they run that risk of breaking down without support following them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote