A New Player In The Fiberglass Trailer Market Now Available! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
A New Player In The Fiberglass Trailer Market Now Available!

Looks like Hymer FINALLY decided the sell their GT model in the USA. Here is a link to a stocking dealer. The width spec listed in incorrect. The trailer is only 81 inches wide.

Another quality fiberglass trailer in our small market segment.

https://www.hwytrailersales.com/2019...inventory-link

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
They showed it at the big Denver RV show. The hinged roof did not thrill me. No pictures of its inside, the whole place was mobbed.
Attached Thumbnails
P1060115.jpg   P1060116.jpg  

P1060117.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The hinged roof is on a lot of Hymer, VW vans and other European trailers along with many Sportsmobile van conversions in the USA.

Works great for a lot of folks and on my Sportsmobile van.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I physically saw a Hymer this summer. Some nice features. The raised roof really isn't any different than the Compacts or Hunter cousins.

Why I didn't like was the windows. Formed plexiglass. Eventually they are going to fail. Either badly scratched, chipped, broken or lost. I'd prefer framed windows with flat glass. And preferably dual-pane windows.

Will these formed windows be available in 20 years? Just ask the Cadet owners who need to replaced their formed plexi windows. What a PITA.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Cycle-Kamp!
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I physically saw a Hymer this summer. Some nice features. The raised roof really isn't any different than the Compacts or Hunter cousins.

Why I didn't like was the windows. Formed plexiglass. Eventually they are going to fail. Either badly scratched, chipped, broken or lost. I'd prefer framed windows with flat glass. And preferably dual-pane windows.

Will these formed windows be available in 20 years? Just ask the Cadet owners who need to replaced their formed plexi windows. What a PITA.
Interesting looking trailer but the windows could be an issue long term. Another post talked about the bouncy floor. I would be concerned about the strength of the fiberglass shell with that roof cutout as large as it is—looks like it might be prone to spider cracking, etc.
Regardless, I’ll hope to see one in Salem, Oregon in a couple of weeks. With the turmoil in Hymer NA, their stated price at the dealer of $34,000+ is insane when MSRP is $26,500! If Hymer NA collapses, they may ‘fire sale’ them to a more reasonable price. Doesn’t change my mind on an Escape!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
Interesting looking trailer but the windows could be an issue long term. Another post talked about the bouncy floor. I would be concerned about the strength of the fiberglass shell with that roof cutout as large as it is—looks like it might be prone to spider cracking, etc.
Regardless, I’ll hope to see one in Salem, Oregon in a couple of weeks. With the turmoil in Hymer NA, their stated price at the dealer of $34,000+ is insane when MSRP is $26,500! If Hymer NA collapses, they may ‘fire sale’ them to a more reasonable price. Doesn’t change my mind on an Escape!
The Hymer website says "MSRP starting at $26,460 USD". The bluetooth edition costs a bit more.

The cutout roof panel wouldn't necessarily add all that much to the structure though I guess it could add some resistance to racking. The rolled edges at the top of the walls could add a lot of strength. It all depends on the details of how it's executed.

Personally, I'd love to have a pop-top. Towing the Escape 21 is like hauling a barn door in the wind compared to the Casita. But, nobody's called me yet to ask if they could build my perfect trailer.

What is the "turmoil" at Hymer? Oh, this turmoil. Oh my!

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...ocal-rv-maker/

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Cycle-Kamp!
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
The Hymer website says "MSRP starting at $26,460 USD". The bluetooth edition costs a bit more.

The cutout roof panel wouldn't necessarily add all that much to the structure though I guess it could add some resistance to racking. The rolled edges at the top of the walls could add a lot of strength. It all depends on the details of how it's executed.

Personally, I'd love to have a pop-top. Towing the Escape 21 is like hauling a barn door in the wind compared to the Casita. But, nobody's called me yet to ask if they could build my perfect trailer.

What is the "turmoil" at Hymer? Oh, this turmoil. Oh my!

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...ocal-rv-maker/
That is the question now with Hymer NA—if Thor won’t buy the North America division, any buyer of the Touring GT might be left high & dry on any warranty issues. Talked to the Salem dealer about it, they didn’t comment except to say they would ‘service’ it.
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #8

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Windows

You can order windows from European suppliers. I ordered a new hatch for my Captain from a Polish camping stuff mail order firm after an "incident" with a garage door.

Also note that the Alto trailers made in Quebec use the same kind of plexiglas windows and could probably supply new ones. They even come tinted.

Jennifer

(who no longer has the Captain, which I loved, but now has a casita with a bathroom)
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote