a new topic of a serious nature - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a new topic of a serious nature

My second tug our 2002 Cadilac Deville started overheating yes I use it occansionaly when something wrong with the Edge everyone should own an Edge!

Anyway this car has a history of overheating almost left us stranded one time it would clime the Cheerekee Pass out of Gatlinburg Tn. We attemted that mountain 3x coasted down it 2x and towed in the 3rd the dash said our motor was finished!

So the guy works on it again his second time we cant go out there because they wouldn't allow civilians around their shop! That bothered me but oh well. After this final trip the guy said I might be hopeless but Autozone carried something for the North Star motor but you put it in and you are done so I decided to go to Walmarts and get a can of alumia seal. I put a smidgeon in there and we drove that car 850m on flat land to home no trouble. I think my antifreeze was going out the head to the tailpipe but no proof. By the way don't call a Cadilac about this problem they will not work on it!

We think they put in a new thermostat but not sure. Sooo long story short it started doing it again really hot. So I took it to my non-certified mechanic who can fix anything cheap. He got a new thermostat 15.00 now my old days of installing them was to take out the old one and drop the new one in. Not!! Those thermostats are special now they have vavles and notches in them they go back a special way!

When my guy takes it out it is installed wrong and the thermostat is bad I have it it looks original to me not a 3 year old one. Now I think they took it out but put it back in! That is not what I paid for!

I would appreciate a note from an experienced mechanic and hope everyone will not this problem apparently its now the standard in cars today!

I hope a experienced mechanic will come in here!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I always insist on receiving the old parts if any are replaced other than standard stuff like oil or air filters. It doesn't guarantee that something like this won't happen but it hopefully will make them think twice. I also familiarize myself with what the part would look like for my vehicle and check the old ones. A little knowledge is a powerful tool.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Missouri
good idea

Alex I never thought about this? I bought he 2002 many years ago of course I have no history of this car. I was astounded when my mechanic explained the facts of life on a new thermostat.

I have the old one here looks original to me I think I got lied to and someone long ago installed this thing wrong.

I was just posting this to warn someone else I think this engeneering is the new thunkin! In my day the thermostat was right on top take the old one out flop in a new one.

In my day! We also would take a thermostat out for the summer remember that?

Of course at 75 I am still learnin things! Life is interesting!!!!

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Putting alumia seal in your radiator is nothing more than a stop gap get me home remedy. You have to realize that any sealant you put in your radiator is going to seal up every hole it can, not just the ones you want sealed up so that is not good for the cooling system. General Motors does sell an additive that a mechanic friend of mine said should be added once a year to their engines that are made out of aluminum and the purpose is to protect the aluminum from electrolysis. Also when you have the antifreeze changed do the mechanics use distilled water with the antifreeze? Mineral deposits will build up in the radiator awfully fast with regular tap water which can effect the cooling. At one time the Cadillac Northstar engine was the most advanced automobile engine in the world. Maybe you should look for a certified mechanic that is qualified to work on it.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
What the mechanic did to your car should be itemized on your bill. Parts listed and labor listed. If your out of warranty I always request old part returned.

Newer cars are a problem to diagnose overheating failures. So many systems overlapping. If you had a serious overheating issue at minimum, replace the Thermostat its cheaper to replace it than remove it, test it with heated pot of water and reinstall it or a new one.

which in most cases these days just filling up with coolant can be a pain in the backside as there is a whole burping process and some systems are sealed with no normal radiator cap.

Next you have to check the fan switches if you have electric fans and if you don't you have to check the fluid clutch on your mechanical fan.

A smart mechanic would also check the pressure test on the cooling system and the radiator cap. That would rule out water pump, hoses and clamps.

They should also check the coolant for exhaust gases with a chemical kit. Check the oil for coolant or color change in case of head gasket failure. They could also check the spark plugs for discoloration for water leak in the heads.

Last but not least is a bad sensor for the temperature gauge with its own test or replace if defective procedure.

Of course back in the day they would have sent you off with a loose water cap so you don't build pressure and have you stop every so often to refill with water.

They would have sold you the 15 dollar rural route canvas water bag to wick cool water onto to your radiator as you drive. And you fill that back up when you refill the radiator. Since you were poor you got tape on the leaky hose, ground pepper or shaved raw potato in the water to stop the leak or at least slow it down. If you were rich they sold you a tube of ground metal stuff called bars stop leak. You always carried an extra one that ruptured in your tool bag getting metal flake powder all over the place. Yep the good old days.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Bob,

Northstar engines have aluminum heads and they are apparently famous for blowing head gaskets. This would explain the coolant loss and that will make it overheat.

You should have someone do a pressure test on the cooling system to see if it holds pressure or not. You can also look for bubbles in the cooling system overflow tank or vapor at the exhaust. If it's leaking, you can also look at the spark plugs to see if one looks different than the rest to help figure out which cylinder it is. If it's been severely overheated it might have a cracked head, so check for that if you do the head gaskets.

Alumaseal will not fix a leaking head gasket.

Whatever you do, don't take the thermostat out in the summer. Bad idea.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

Missouri
lee here is an idea call the cadilac dealershop and ask them to work on a northstar I have! I know all this stuff I know about the early models requiring you to use their magic pellots more nonsense.

I know what alumaseal is at 75 I have used it many times. I knew whatever I put in that car was stopgap to get us home it did. I now have a perfect car with 150,000 miles on it we will drive it every day. I also run a 2005 cad with 69,000 on it.

I also ran a 1990- with a 4.5 that went 450k I know how to take care of a car I drove professionally for many years. I also know the difference in a computer mechanic and a old style mechanic.

I will take the old style guy every time. as for a itemized bill what does that prove I am 850m away from the first guy! I also do not trust stealershps for any car repair! if you do and go there I have no problems with it at all.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #8

Missouri
steve I do carry extra antifreeze is this about the same thing. I never thought aobut the covered wagon routine.

didn't I use to see in the 50s a bag hanging in front of the radioter outside. that would look pretty good on my cad.

good ide

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
I once had purchased valve new adjusters so they would not just adjust the old ones. Was going on a long night trip. Picked the car up at closing time got 3 blocks and had a problem again then noticed the new parts still sealed in the packages on the back seat. Spent an hour in dress clothes changing them my self in the Canadian Tire parking lot; only way it was going to run right. Should have noticed lol; the police came by and I explained to him why I was fixing my own car.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #10

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I once had a trany and transfer case re-built at a certified dealer and after the 3rd time bringing it back with the same problem I told them I had painted and pictured the bolts holding it in so I could tell if it was worked on.
Back again and talked to owner and said I will pay the full amount and then bring the vehicle back before the 100 day 100% guarantee was up and they will put a new one in at no cost to me....2 weeks later we got it back and it was fixed.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 AM   #11

Missouri
Were you in the midst of dismantling it? just funning you!

bob
Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 AM   #12

Missouri
I once lost a transmission in a Lincoln in N.M. the only shop able to get to was the one with an m you guessed it! They had that transmission in and out 3 times before they realized I had a town car they were trying to put a continental transmission in it was 2 in too short.

That car never did run right after that. breaking down on the road is a sad thing!!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

I will take the old style guy every time. as for a itemized bill what does that prove I am 850m away from the first guy! I also do not trust stealershps for any car repair! if you do and go there I have no problems with it at all.
Me too!

I have learned this lesson on older cars as well. At some point, its just not cost effective to take a car to the dealer. I used to take my 2002 F150 to the dealer, seemed like every repair was over $1000. I complained about it to a friend of mine, and he told me "Bill, what are you doing still taking your old truck to the dealer? It should never see the dealer again." He was right. I found a reliable old style guy, all of a sudden, an expensive repair was $100....

Now my 2010 F150 sometimes sees the dealer, but on regular work, it goes to the old school guy as well.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #14

Missouri
bill me too

Bill who had the old sayin a fool and his money soon departs? Werent we all misled sheep at one time!

I have finally in my life convinced friends that dealers are not in your best interests!

My friend can fix anything he will tackle anything. He will fix it at a low cost sometimes to his own detriment money wise.

I recommended him to a friend who had an older Fork p/u that needed a back seal replaced cost quoted 3k I don't think the quoter had the skills or the desire to do it. my pal did it for 800bux! His new customer is a believer now!

Sister-in-law needed an a/c compressor replaced quoted 2k I took the car to him 350bux he knew she was needy.

I have found our friends went to one of these thieves sort of hinted around as to what they paid I call my friend for a quote they look at me like I have a 3rd eye.

I have a 98 v/w beetle diesel it goes through w/pumps cannot figure it out after the first one oreileys pays labor that is his deal. they give him book quote I think it was 6hours I watched him do it in 2!

Now his shop is sort of shabbly most of the time clean but shabby on his own property. He on occasion uses a hand held computer no he doesn't have the big screen job that costs thousands! But he has an instinct to fix things ever seen someone like that? Amazing!

I know many amazing people like this I just had an self trained electrician at our house I looked for 2 years for a problem he had it done in 30ms. Total bill 60bux. Give me more! Give me more!!

I guess I shouldn't post my age but I wish I had more time and could go back in life!

bob
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
I had the same issue with the same engine in the same model year of vehicle . BAD HEAD GASKET . GM denied there was a problem but THEY LIED !
Had small auto shop replace head gasket , cost around $800.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #16

Missouri
dont you know

steve don't you know this is the most engineered motor g/m ever built but they will not work on them they do not sell them any more! what does this tell you? Junk!

Oh one thing my guy will not do serious work on is you guessed it is a Northstar motor. One time I looked at a Caddy with the 8-6-4 my mechanic told me want to lose a friend buy that junker. Man the car looked great!

Another one in the 8os was the 8-6-4 remember that dude! You better use magic beads in that one and it still wouldn't hold up. Remember the G/m car diesel in a truck where is that thing?

I love g/m but they have laid some real eggs in the auto business! I actually owned some of these eggs in my life! Oh so many cars but want a true egg go by a Chrysler product!

now I will have mopar nuts on my back!!

bob
Old 10-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve don't you know this is the most engineered motor g/m ever built but they will not work on them they do not sell them any more! what does this tell you? Junk!

Oh one thing my guy will not do serious work on is you guessed it is a Northstar motor. One time I looked at a Caddy with the 8-6-4 my mechanic told me want to lose a friend buy that junker. Man the car looked great!

Another one in the 8os was the 8-6-4 remember that dude! You better use magic beads in that one and it still wouldn't hold up. Remember the G/m car diesel in a truck where is that thing?

I love g/m but they have laid some real eggs in the auto business! I actually owned some of these eggs in my life! Oh so many cars but want a true egg go by a Chrysler product!

now I will have mopar nuts on my back!!

bob
I've owned 2 Mopar ( Ram) trucks , a 2011 and a 2014 .
I've had no issues except for a few minor factory recalls and am happy with the Ram trucks I've purchased . I am not offended when others make unflattering remarks about Chrysler products , everyone has a right to their opinion. I've owned / driven trucks built by Ford , GMC and Ram and everyone had their flaws.
Some people like Toyota's but I wouldn't own or drive one if you gave it to me for free. I find Toyota trucks to be mediocre at best and overpriced .
Buy / drive what you like , it's your money and the only one you have to please is yourself.
I do believe that the Ford F150 is the best truck on the road but that's only my opinion and worth absolutely nothing !.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #18

Missouri
thermostat school

Ok friends

I was at my no-nothing mechanics yesterday I had him business cards made my gift to him.

Anyway I am still being schooled on thermostats for cars. I am the one that used to take mine out in the summertime. I also love alumiseal for the headgaskets on a Northstar Cadilac engine or the so called magic pellets marketed by Cadilac! Very same thing!!

Sooooo in discussing this again I find that Toyata and Honda has used this new technology in thermostats for a long time. They may have been the originator of this who knows?

I still don't understand the lining up the notches or the little reliever valve in the thermostate but I am getting there! I also don't understand putting the thermostat at the bottom of the engine either!

I love modern technology, but at 75 I still love my 2 holer!!

bob
Old 10-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #19

Missouri
Steve in my life I have had 2 Chrysler including a Dodge 3/4 ton truck I am sorry it was the worst thing I have ever owned. But with a 318 motor it would pull a 32f 5th wheel followed by a 20f fiberglass I/0 boat in the Mo. Ozarks!!

Maybe it was better than I thought! I hate who owns Chrysler now! steve I also have a ford truck and a ford edge. Everyone deserves a Ford Edge in life sharp styling but junk!

bob