A not so great experience with Escape trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: B
Trailer: shopping
Washington
Unhappy A not so great experience with Escape trailers

So here is the story. I did a bit of research and decided to go with the Escape 17b fiberglass trailer. Then I went to their website and used their web tool to create a customized order. To be honest the tool works pretty well and after picking all I need, it sends me a PDF with all the detailed add-on prices and a total price. One thing wasn't so good is that they also sent me email saying the current waiting time is whopping 19 months. After talking to my family we accepted that.
So I went on and payed $2000 deposit.

Then couple days ago when I browse through their Youtube channels, I noticed that a user complained about price increase for 2022 units on their 2021 order. I was like, wait a price increase? So basically what happened to that user is, he ordered a trailer in 2021, and was told to have to wait until 2022, and more importantly charged 2022 price. Then one day Escape told him you know what we can move your delivery date back to 2021, lucky you! but you still have to pay the 2022 price.

So for my case, one thing I didn't notice is that, there's no way I can get my trailer with the price on that quote because with 19 mo building time, it's gonna be in 2023 for sure. Then I sent an email to them and they confirmed this, yes I'll likely to have to pay 10% more because that's their estimated price increase for the next year.

I feel I'm scammed. Now if I cancel the order, I'll have to pay them $150 so called processing fee. I'm not sure if that's normal on the RV industry? I thought the Escape was pretty legit. Really didn't expect that they would use an impossible price to lure buyers, but I'm still lucky I noticed this before waiting the "surprise" for 19 months.

btw, I sent and email to them regarding this issue, and they showed me the tiny checkbox on their "terms and conditions" with one line saying the price will change and so on. So, yeah it's all my fault. I'm going to cancel the order anyways, and well at least I hope my story can help careless people like me avoid the trap.
mbbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I totally agree with your point.
The price at the time that the contract is accepted, should be the price at delivery.
Delays in delivery are strictly the responsibility of the builder and should not have the expense passed on to the buyer.
When I bought my truck, I had trouble getting the dealer to sign off on my adding a note to the contract which read...
"Total amount due at delivery" they did however sign it.

The company reneged and tried to deny a promised early buyer incentive of $750. The dealer blamed the company and the company blamed the dealer.
I simply wrote the final check as written in my contract.
They had little choice but to honor it.
They did collect the $750 from another buyer of the same truck who had not insisted on the written "clarification" and so lost the promised incentive.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I hate it when companies have a business model that scams their customers. Pissing of your customers and treating them like they are stupid, is not a successful tactic and needs to be shared whenever possible. Thanks for posting B. Buyer beware. And who would have thought Escape could not be trusted?
Old 01-18-2022, 11:50 PM   #4

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
So in the end, what model year was listed in the contract?
I they quoted you a price and listed it in the purchase order for that model, that's the price they should honor.
Sounds to me, I won't be doing business with Escape anytime soon.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:46 AM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
So in the end, what model year was listed in the contract?
I they quoted you a price and listed it in the purchase order for that model, that's the price they should honor.
Sounds to me, I won't be doing business with Escape anytime soon.
The title of the contract is "Escape 17B Trailer Detailed Estimate - 2022", and in the following email they stated that the current delivery time is 19 months. So what I understood is that it will take 19 months for me to get my 2022 model. But in fact what it really means is I will get a 2023 model and I will pay a who-knows amount of money. Later on they replied the increased amount would be roughly 10%, and that's not in the contract. Well actually it's not even a contract because there's also a line on the bottom saying "This estimate is not a contract or bill.". So yeah they avoided all liabilities.

In the following email they also insisted on the word "estimate". So that essentially means as long as it's an "estimate", they can charge whatever amount they want later.

I don't know how you feel about this, knowing it's impossible to sell any unit at the 2022 price but still sending a pretty formal detailed price list to the user and make them believe that it's what they are going to pay. In the meantime planning to charge the buyers 10% more.

I can't say it's a scam because I'm not sure if that will get me into any legal troubles, but it's what happened to me.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:56 AM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I totally agree with your point.
The price at the time that the contract is accepted, should be the price at delivery.
Delays in delivery are strictly the responsibility of the builder and should not have the expense passed on to the buyer.
When I bought my truck, I had trouble getting the dealer to sign off on my adding a note to the contract which read...
"Total amount due at delivery" they did however sign it.

The company reneged and tried to deny a promised early buyer incentive of $750. The dealer blamed the company and the company blamed the dealer.
I simply wrote the final check as written in my contract.
They had little choice but to honor it.
They did collect the $750 from another buyer of the same truck who had not insisted on the written "clarification" and so lost the promised incentive.
Thanks for sharing your story! I think I will do the same thing next time.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
They accept your order today but have to build it with materials purchased a year from now,,,the way markets are today how would they know what the actual costs will be?
Old 01-19-2022, 01:30 AM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
They accept your order today but have to build it with materials purchased a year from now,,,the way markets are today how would they know what the actual costs will be?
That's a fair point. I bet they will reduce the price if the material cost drops? oh wait they charged the owner who ordered a trailer in 2021 and got it in 2021 with a 2022 price. The owner was so "lucky" to have it built earlier.

I'm new to the RV industry but from what I do when people negotiated a price and make a deposit, the price should reflect the potential material cost increase. Seller might take a lost if materials cost more than estimated, but they will also take profit if it doesn't. In the end if the estimated price doesn't count, then why doing so?

Btw, Casita does the opposite as the price they listed on the website is for 2023 already. I haven't bought anything from casita yet so I don't know what would be in the end.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It occurs to me that this is a downside of the build-to-order sales model in a strong inflationary market, something we haven’t seen in a long time. The current extra-long build times add to the uncertainty.

Sellers write the contracts and are unlikely to budge on the fine print. They face even greater uncertainties in terms of materials and labor.

I’d hesitate to sign a blank check, too, but if the money is well invested during the 1-2 year wait, you might be keeping pace with the cost increases.

Best wishes finding something that will meet your needs and get you on the road!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I agree it's disappointing but apparently they did say "estimate" all along. I'm sure their costs are going up because of Covid, just like everyone else's. You can't really expect them to lose money on your trailer when they have plenty of willing buyers. If you like the trailer, seems as if you may be "throwing out the baby with the bath water" if you cancel. Edit- I do agree that charging a fee for canceling seems wrong since they have other buyers lined up.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #11

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbill View Post
The title of the contract is "Escape 17B Trailer Detailed Estimate - 2022", and in the following email they stated that the current delivery time is 19 months. So what I understood is that it will take 19 months for me to get my 2022 model. But in fact what it really means is I will get a 2023 model and I will pay a who-knows amount of money. Later on they replied the increased amount would be roughly 10%, and that's not in the contract. Well actually it's not even a contract because there's also a line on the bottom saying "This estimate is not a contract or bill.". So yeah they avoided all liabilities.

In the following email they also insisted on the word "estimate". So that essentially means as long as it's an "estimate", they can charge whatever amount they want later.

I don't know how you feel about this, knowing it's impossible to sell any unit at the 2022 price but still sending a pretty formal detailed price list to the user and make them believe that it's what they are going to pay. In the meantime planning to charge the buyers 10% more.

I can't say it's a scam because I'm not sure if that will get me into any legal troubles, but it's what happened to me.
I belong to other RV forums and this is standard practice with nearly every company, UNLESS you pay full price immediately to guarantee your price. I had that chance with Escape, but there is no way I was going to give them all my money in advance.

Don't complain about the increase if you don't understand what an "estimate" implies. There has been increased inflation since Covid began and you can't expect Escape or any other manufacturer to absorb all price increases that are beyond their control. That is just one way businesses go bankrupt.

I just completed our investment spreadsheet for 2021. Our lowest investment increased by 11% and our best 21%, after fees, with an average of 16.7%. In 2020 it was 8-17%. By keeping our money in investments we would lose money paying in advance.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #12

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I agree it's disappointing but apparently they did say "estimate" all along. I'm sure their costs are going up because of Covid, just like everyone else's. You can't really expect them to lose money on your trailer when they have plenty of willing buyers. If you like the trailer, seems as if you may be "throwing out the baby with the bath water" if you cancel. Edit- I do agree that charging a fee for canceling seems wrong since they have other buyers lined up.
We bought a used escape a week after we put in our order. So, I called to discuss the cancelation fee. It is not something they make money on, it just represents the fees they pay for credit card processing of the deposit and the refund. I did the math at the time and it seemed about right for two $2000ish transactions.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I belong to other RV forums and this is standard practice with every company, UNLESS you pay full price immediately to guarantee your price. I had that chance with Escape, but there is no way I was going to give them all my money in advance.

Don't complain about the increase if you don't understand what an "estimate" implies. There has been increased inflation since Covid began and you can't expect Escape or any other manufacturer to absorb all price increases that are beyond their control. That is just one way businesses go bankrupt.

I just completed our investment spreadsheet for 2021. Our lowest investment increased by 11% and our best 21%, after fees, with an average of 16.7%. In 2020 it was 8-17%. By keeping our money in investments we would lose money paying in advance.

Enjoy,

Perry
Not "every company" I waited until the following model year to get my trailer and I paid exactly what I had agreed to pay the year before.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #14

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not "every company" I waited until the following model year to get my trailer and I paid exactly what I had agreed to pay the year before.
This is NOT 2004. We paid what the estimate said in 2018, but we only had to wait three months.

I have changed the absolute, "every company" to "nearly every company".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
We bought a used escape a week after we put in our order. So, I called to discuss the cancelation fee. It is not something they make money on, it just represents the fees they pay for credit card processing of the deposit and the refund. I did the math at the time and it seemed about right for two $2000ish transactions.

Why should Escape be fiscally responsible for the buyer's indecision.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
On another forum there as a similar discussion about Tiffin.
The selling dealer gave the buyer the same choice. Pay the current price or get a refund of their deposit. This seems to be the industry norm.

On the other hand, I recently took delivery of a new Big Foot with a 12 month lead time. The final cost was exactly the cost on the contract I signed.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:35 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
This is NOT 2004. We paid what the estimate said in 2018, but we only had to wait three months.

I have changed the absolute, "every company" to "nearly every company".

Why should Escape be fiscally responsible for the buyer's indecision.

Enjoy,

Perry
I am fully aware of what year it is and the induced instability in the economy. so should Escape be.

Right and wrong haven't changed since 2004.

I don't see how Escape could be responsible for the buyer's indecision in this case for several reasons...
1] They demand a deposit
2] They charge a cancellation fee.
3] They sell every trailer they can build.

To be fair, The buyer did allow them to have an "ups" clause, in case they didn't produce the product in a timely manner.

That is certainly not holding Escape responsible.

Any deal requires compromise on both sides.
Presently, I know of at least one Fiberglass trailer company which is charging up front based on the anticipated delivery date.

Are thirty year fixed rate mortgages unfair to the bank which issues them?
Still, the homeowners should not be surprised if they sign a "Variable" and end up loosing the house.
I never do "time and material" contracts.
Fixed money, C.O.D. is best, secured with a contract.
Non refundable deposits are acceptable, but only if the the seller's end is met.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #17

Name: D Jean
Trailer: Hunter I
Kansas
New is nice but.....

New is nice but....More proud of my vintage fiberglass mini all the time. I can improve it to suit me.😊
D Jean Fullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
I belong to other RV forums and this is standard practice with nearly every company, UNLESS you pay full price immediately to guarantee your price. I had that chance with Escape, but there is no way I was going to give them all my money in advance.

Enjoy,

Perry

It's actually not about the estimate, it's about honest. I mean they do have an "estimate", which they clearly communicated later on in the email - the price might increase roughly 10% in 2023. That's the real estimate, but the "estimate" they showed me was a 2022 price when I pay the deposit. So
- They know it's gonna take 19mo to deliver.
- They know it's impossible to deliver an 2022 model in the price they showed me.
- They know they will charge user an 2023 model price later on
- They know the 2023 price will be roughly 10% higher.

Yet they still gave me a 2022 price as an "estimate" and avoid mentioning the 10% increase unless you sending email to ask them.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #19

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
So, starting over now or do you have a second choice already lined up?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #20

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
So, starting over now or do you have a second choice already lined up?
Talking to the Casita, and they seems pretty good so far. Their listed price is based on production schedule, which is 2023. They also sent me email saying they will never increase the price once a deposit is made, although it's not in the contract.

Tags
escape