A perhaps crazy idea for "the trip of our life" - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #121

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hi Lex and Rita,

I am going to "shoot" at your second map, but I need to go get some ammunition first.

Will probably post a message in Camping, Campout Reports to gain more coverage for my question if people don't reply here. Look for title in that forum called Utah 95 & Cottonwood Canyon Road.

I think your map shows you going down Cottonwood Canyon Road "The Cockscomb" which is gravel or dirt that you probably do not want to take your fiberglass rig down. I doubt I could get Fred to drive that without our trailer. Hope someone reading here will tell us the facts. If no better information comes your way check with officials in the area to see if it is doable. Need to check anyway because as I understand it when those roads are wet they are often not usable.

My second query is your route to Moab, Arches and Canyonlands. My "Guide to Scenic Highways & Byways", 3rd edition, National Geographic, show Hwy 95 between Blanding and Hanksville (The Bicentennial Highway) as being one of the scenic roads. 133 miles long. If people are familiar with the area what is more worthwhile; seeing Moab, Arches and Canyonlands, or doing the shortcut taking Hwy 95?

BTW, I saw Senseo dark roast coffee pucks in my local grocery store. My mind is on hockey pucks as we have a serious competition tomorrow for title.

Do you have wifi on the ship?

Nancy

Cottonwood road is 40 miles of dirt road. Some of it over sharp shale and the bottom third of it is the worst washboard in the county. It will pop your rivets and if you don't have rivets it will pop other parts. It will take you 50% longer to get to Bryce National park going that way. Just drive through Kanab and up to Bryce and it will be smoother and faster. Give me a holler when you get here and I'll buy you coffee and show you some sites if you have time.

Now... I don't want to tell you where I think you should go or anything... I don't even want to assume you are in Utah for national parks. However if you [b]are coming here for the national parks and you miss Zion National Park you will miss, in my opinion one of the jewels should you pass it up (ranking right behind the Grand Canyon). I would skip Bryce twice to see Zion once (and you can see them both if you come through Kanab).

I've attached your map with my scribbles on it.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails
lex.jpg  
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #122

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Ron,

That was just the kind of local information I was hoping for.

Personally I like Bryce better than Zion. Except for the walk up the Virgin River when water level is low enough in Zion, that is great. What should I do next time in Zion, since I am obviously missing something?

Oh yeah, did you have any comments on that Hwy 95 instead of Arches and Canyonlands? Maybe what one sees on Hwy 95 is the same stuff you see in Arches and Canyonlands? I think Lex is going the Moab way because I talked him into it. So please voice your opinions.

Another thing I have been talking to Lex about is Wire Pass or Antelope Canyon. I haven't been to Antelope Canyon, but loved Wire Pass. And, can a fiberglass get into White House Campground, or is that just for tents? Is the temp too hot for doing a slot canyon early June?

We all appreciate local knowledge about places.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #123

Quote:
Hi Ron,

That was just the kind of local information I was hoping for.

Personally I like Bryce better than Zion. Except for the walk up the Virgin River when water level is low enough in Zion, that is great. What should I do next time in Zion, since I am obviously missing something?

Oh yeah, did you have any comments on that Hwy 95 instead of Arches and Canyonlands? Maybe what one sees on Hwy 95 is the same stuff you see in Arches and Canyonlands? I think Lex is going the Moab way because I talked him into it. So please voice your opinions.

Another thing I have been talking to Lex about is Wire Pass or Antelope Canyon. I haven't been to Antelope Canyon, but loved Wire Pass. And, can a fiberglass get into White House Campground, or is that just for tents? Is the temp too hot for doing a slot canyon early June?

We all appreciate local knowledge about places.

Nancy
I sat here asking myself what or where is White House Campground? I had to go look it up. Nope, never camped there but local stuff is not camping for me.. its only a half day outing max. There is a BLM station right on hwy 89 there and I am sure they can tell you the shape of the road. If you get to the ranger station ask them where the "toad stools" are (right across the road)... much fun little walk to see some very queer geology.

Anyway

Next time you are in zion take some of the hikes up into the cliffs. Easy two or three mile walks that get you to a place where you can see (and photograph) the entire span of the canyon. Super beautiful. The type of geology you see in Bryce is pretty much everywhere around here where I live so I guess I don't see it like most visitors do.

Highway 95 is a different route. Not too many people on the road even during high tourist season. I would take it to Moab just so I wouldn't have to look at the 40-50 miles of ugly ugly dead gray clay north of Hanksville to I 70... not a living thing in site.

Wire pass needs a permit. You have to stop at a blm office and see if there is one available for the day you are there. In mid year they sell out every day. Too many people. I never go there anymore in the summer. If you are serious about it call the blm office in kanab and reserve your permit.

Same thing with antelope canyon... waaaay too crowded in summer. I go in winter when the dine' don't show up to collect the fee. Go to lower if you want fewer people. Less red more white/pink but very dynamic shots.

We probably don't agree on Moab either (grin) but skipping canyonlands for arches would be a mistake in my view. Canyonlands is like a scaled down version of the grand canyon where you can actually get some feeling of width and breadth. It is breathtakingly big but at least you can *see* how big it is. The GC is so vast you cant get perspective.

Hope this helps

Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #124

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Thanks for the information Ron. Looking forward to someday hiking up in Zion to see the view you are talking about.

https://www.blm.gov/az/asfo/paria/index.htm

I checked and there are 20 passes issued for overnight use in Buckskin Gulch per day. The $6.00 day use fee has no visitor limit and you can pay that at the trailhead. Wire Pass is just the little side canyon feeding into Buckskin Gulch. I enjoyed just using the day pass and spending a little bit of time, not overnight. We missed seeing your "toad stools". Looking forward to seeing those in the future.

Yeah, I kind of figure the drive to and from Moab would not be interesting. But for me seeing Canyonlands and Arches is worth the boring drive.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #125

Quote:
I checked and there are 20 passes issued for overnight use in Buckskin Gulch per day. The $6.00 day use fee has no visitor limit and you can pay that at the trailhead. Wire Pass is just the little side canyon feeding into Buckskin Gulch. I enjoyed just using the day pass and spending a little bit of time, not overnight. We missed seeing your "toad stools". Looking forward to seeing those in the future.

Nancy
Things have changed in the 8 years when I first hiked it.. either that or this is another senior moment in my recollection. I never hike in there from House Rock Road anymore. I 4x4 up to within 1/2 mile of the wave from the east side. Only have to climb a few hundred feet.

Anyone who gets out this way and you have a 4x4 suitable for [b]deep sand message me and I'll tell you how to get the wave the easy way... and White Pockets too.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #126

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
When you get to Little Rock, Arkansas, please consider traveling a bit farther east to Petit Jean State Park near Morrilton. I was there for the first time last month and I really enjoyed it. Pleasant short hikes and nice scenery. The park is up high, with many overlooks. I just uploaded 5 photos of the park to my esnips album, have a look. The valleys were filled with fog in the morning, which made for some interesting photos. One can view Cedar Falls from the top or from down below. My campsite, as you can see, was right on the edge of a small lake. I am looking forward to returning to Petit Jean sometime soon.

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #127

Oklahoma
Well, I have no idea where the "malware" is allegedly located within my photo album, but since my link was removed I will try to upload smaller versions (not as nice to view but better than nothing).

Again, these are photos of Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_of_PetitJean_morning.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	19455
[attachment=23406:Resize_o..._morning.
jpg]

Name:	Resize_of_Davies_Bridge.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	19457

Name:	Resize_of_Cedar_Falls.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	19458
[attachment=23409:Resize_o...itJeanSP.
jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
Resize_of_Petit_Jean_foggy_morning.jpg   Resize_of_old_water_tower_PetitJeanSP.jpg  

Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #128

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Michael, it probably isn't your album, but the site you use may be infiltrating spyware or adware. This isn't usual for "free" sites... remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch! And, since the link is gone, I don't even know if you're using a free site....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #129

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lex,

I looked at your 2 maps coming west and going back east. I think you have a nice route planned. You'll see the hi-lights of this great country. While everyone has given wonderful information on their locales, there is no way to see all the "little hi-lights".

Last summer I tried to see the "little hi-lights" on my trip to the Great Lakes states. I spent nearly a month in each of the 3 states and still missed a lot.

While in California if you have a time constraint, chose Yosemite NP over Sequoia NP. Yosemite is a must see. I've been to most National Parks and in my humble opinion Yosemite has the most breathtaking scenery. Yellowstone is number 2 on my list.

Our country is just too big to see in such a short time. You are definitely seeing the major sites while here.

Have wonderful time and if you see any little fiberglass trailers along the way be sure to stop and say "HI". I'll watch for you.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #130

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Michael,
Great photos, and thanks for sharing.
Petit Jean is a beautiful park... as are so many in Arkansas... and very easily accessible. The road up is easy to drive, and well worth the time. There's a lot to do at Petit Jean as well. The "hike" to the falls is more of a walk, with the well-landscaped and leveled trail/boardwalk.

In the same area, we also enjoyed Lake Ouachita SP, Mt. Magazine SP, and the COE park Cove Lake last year. Actually, Cove Lake was our favorite. The lakefront campsite was huge... really huge... totally private,and I think, $10 a night. As if we needed a big site for privacy... In early September, we were the only people in our entire loop. Primitive camping, (vault toilets, dump station, and water spigots spaced around, not individual, no electric) but we're equipped for that. We saw nothing from our campsite but old pine and emerging hardwood, wildlife, and the lake.

Lake Ouachita wins my award for best showerhouse/bathrooms for last year's camping. Newly redone, immaculate, well-ventilated, and big spaces. Lake Ouachita is another place where we lucked into a wonderful lakeview campsite on short notice. Usually, booked well in advance.... according to the very friendly staff at the checkin center.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #131

Oklahoma
Quote:
Michael, it probably isn't your album, but the site you use may be infiltrating spyware or adware. This isn't usual for "free" sites... remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch! And, since the link is gone, I don't even know if you're using a free site....
Donna, it's a free picture hosting site called eSnips. So now I know how they finance the free service, I guess.

I was really surprised how many nice pictures I was able to get at Petit Jean... it is quite photogenic.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #132

Oklahoma
Quote:
Michael,
Great photos, and thanks for sharing.
Petit Jean is a beautiful park... as are so many in Arkansas... and very easily accessible. The road up is easy to drive, and well worth the time. There's a lot to do at Petit Jean as well. The "hike" to the falls is more of a walk, with the well-landscaped and leveled trail/boardwalk.

In the same area, we also enjoyed Lake Ouachita SP, Mt. Magazine SP, and the COE park Cove Lake last year. Actually, Cove Lake was our favorite. The lakefront campsite was huge... really huge... totally private,and I think, $10 a night. As if we needed a big site for privacy... In early September, we were the only people in our entire loop. Primitive camping, (vault toilets, dump station, and water spigots spaced around, not individual, no electric) but we're equipped for that. We saw nothing from our campsite but old pine and emerging hardwood, wildlife, and the lake.

Lake Ouachita wins my award for best showerhouse/bathrooms for last year's camping. Newly redone, immaculate, well-ventilated, and big spaces. Lake Ouachita is another place where we lucked into a wonderful lakeview campsite on short notice. Usually, booked well in advance.... according to the very friendly staff at the checkin center.
Hey, thanks for the comments and info. I'll have to keep Cove Lake in mind, and Paris... I could then say honestly that I've been to Paris! I do like quiet campgrounds with big sites.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #133

Just had the opportunity to welcome Lex and Rita to the States. They spent several days in Gainesville Florida while waiting for their vehicle and trailer to arrive from overseas. We had great fun, with a football game and alligator sightings included. If any of you out there in the USA and Canada have the opportunity to meet Lex and Rita, I would certainly recommend it. They are wonderful people with whom we can hopefully share the hospitality and beauty of our respective states and provinces.

John and Meg
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0642.JPG   o0241_1.jpg  

o0286.jpg   o0257.jpg  

John Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote