A picture is worth 1000 words - OMW spare mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
A picture is worth 1000 words - OMW spare mount

Just a word of caution. See photo. OMW response was along the lines of not our problem. I would beg to differ if it had gone all the way and caused mayhem to the travelling public.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20210518_160256001.jpg  
Old 06-15-2021, 03:28 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Took me a while to figure it out. OMW=Orbital Machine Works. And yes if that landed on the highway one can only imagine what the outcome would have been. Looks like it failed above the weld?

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20210615_052623.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	141510
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
There needs to be gussets at every angle on that thing. That design is an accident waiting to happen. Scary.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
TNX for the Identity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Just a word of caution. See photo. OMW response was along the lines of not our problem. I would beg to differ if it had gone all the way and caused mayhem to the travelling public.
WOW! Thank you for the identity, It could save some ones’ life to know.
I have followed new RVs with the factory mounted spare tire bouncing violently. It is a rough ride back there.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #5

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
There needs to be gussets at every angle on that thing. That design is an accident waiting to happen. Scary.
I agree that gussets are necessary, but they would not have prevented that sideways-force-induced weld failing.

The design is just too high torque for this kind of construction.

You really can't safely just plug hitches together like this even though these devices are made.

It would be better to find a safe way to haul whatever is attached to this device rather than overloading hitches designed for towing a trailer.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I think the tubing was not of adequate gauge, and the welds inadequate penetration.
This does remind us all of another issue...
The rear of a trailer is no place for a bike rack.

Bouncing is just too violent.
even if the rack survives, the bikes suffer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I don’t know about bike racks but I know you can’t beat
Thicker tubing, certified welders, fishplates and gussets when it comes to putting steel together that just cannot afford to fail. A good weld is always stronger than the two pieces it holds together and proper surface prep along with proper penetration, cleaning and surface coating (primer and paint) will go a long ways towards safe and stabile installations.
Regular inspection can often detect problems before
they become serious liabilities.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t know about bike racks but I know you can’t beat
Thicker tubing, certified welders, fishplates and gussets when it comes to putting steel together that just cannot afford to fail. A good weld is always stronger than the two pieces it holds together and proper surface prep along with proper penetration, cleaning and surface coating (primer and paint) will go a long ways towards safe and stabile installations.
Regular inspection can often detect problems before
they become serious liabilities.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Sure sounds like a good test of your mettle. You don't want to be liable for another's situation!!!
The new owners of our former Escape 5.0 lost the spare this way too.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm not sure if the tire carrier was mounted on the tow vehicle or on the rear of the trailer. Could you clarify that Bryan please.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #10

Central Virginia
Installed by LHC when trailer was new. Installed as designed to compliment the OMW Casita add on hitch using the factory Casita spare. Nothing odd. I do a check around on things every time we use it and nothing was out of the ordinary.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I'm not sure if the tire carrier was mounted on the tow vehicle or on the rear of the trailer. Could you clarify that Bryan please.
From the right, I think there's a bolt-on Casita Hitch Receiver installed on the trailer, a hitch tightener, a (failed) Spare Tire Carrier, another hitch tightener, and some other item which is out of the picture frame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita-hitch-receiver-6.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	141515
From what I have seen, it appears that OMW got into the trailer accessory business, and then pretty much faded off the scene over the years, with availability, deliveries and communications getting progressively worse over time. Jim Britton retired, and I think the owner Terry Stroud is not a trailer owner.

Oh, and the spare tire carrier does not appear to have been adequately engineered or fabricated.

That's putting it kindly. You may now submit two cents to my banker, please.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A bad design can't be made good even by excellent execution. Having both bad design and bad execution.... as they say "that's gonna leave a mark"

A lot of our campers have an almost ornamental back bumper. I wouldn't trust the rear bumper for anything without talking to an experienced trailer shop. Places that customize, build or repair trailers. They know what breaks and how to fix it so it doesn't break again.

However you can't fix a bad accessory with a stronger bumper. Thanks for the heads up on this one.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #13

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
I see the purpose of the angles in the omw spare tire carrier. It gets the spare tire in tighter to the trailer, but the design looks weak, as mentioned by others. 10 years ago, I bought and installed a bolt on spare tire carrier and used the bolt that comes out the back of the Casita for additional stability. The carrier I bought was not very expensive and acquired locally. It has been stable and secure for 10 years now.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #14

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
IMHO, the tubing too thin, just buy a new quality unit w/ heavier metal from etrailer or local vendor?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #15

Washington
This is a close approximation of what I found locally. It has stood the test of time and a rough ride: https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...hy/BR56VR.html
Old 06-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #16

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Here is more like what quality looks like? https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...e_Tire_Carrier
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #17

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita 16' Spirit Standard
Texas
Casita Ed your use of "the bolt that comes out the back of the Casita for additional stability" was key to your longevity. The height of of the tire mount and the considerable bounce mention in other posts would put a lot of torque on the bumper tubing. The typical bumper is not made to resist torque. Good job Ed!
GaryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDon View Post
Casita Ed your use of "the bolt that comes out the back of the Casita for additional stability" was key to your longevity. The height of of the tire mount and the considerable bounce mention in other posts would put a lot of torque on the bumper tubing. The typical bumper is not made to resist torque. Good job Ed!
Thank you. When we got home from Rice with our new Casita, I discovered the damage to the gel coat the tire left. I initially thought the way to go was the 2 inch receiver, but those who had them complained of a wobbly spare tire or bike rack. Credit to our local RV Store where they recommended bolting on a tire mount. I did, but still wasn't totally satisfied with how wiggle proof it was, so I added a 1/4 inch thick aluminum bar stock tab to the top of the mount, formed a bend and drilled it and connected it to that bolt and it is still rock solid to this day. I would love to share a picture of it, but had trouble with inserting the image I have.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #19

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
A picture is also worth a thousand smiles.
Attached Thumbnails
NiagaraWindow.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #20

Central Virginia
Finally got my tire holder fixed at a local race car shop - this is the way it should have been made in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
tire holder.jpg