A Reason to Travel by RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Reason to Travel by RV

The radiation received in an airplane flight is 30 times what you receive at ground level. 100,000 miles of flying is equivalent to 20 chest x-rays.

Since we've started RVing 14 years ago we've only flown twice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
And the airlines are flying higher than they used to in order to save fuel. Unfortunately they cannot fly faster to reduce the exposure to cosmic rays.

I have a different reason for preferring to travel with our camper. It is the convenience of packing what we need and not worrying about what is allowed, and avoiding being processed like a piece of meat. Flying from Denver back home, I once said I would rather drive three days than being processed by the security - I can make Denver from Vermont in three days. That time there were hundreds of people waiting to get through the security, all in a small area. It took almost an hour, and I felt like a target for any kind of a madman who could just walk right in and wreak havoc. Very uncomfortable feeling! Surface travel has its advantages.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Do we really want to sleep in the same bed that 100's of others have slept in?

Not a fan of hotels. Not

Flying isn't my cup of tea either. I like to be in control of the vehicle I'm in.

PS... had the opportunity to fly 1st class once. Hummmm, now that wasn't so bad.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The last time I got on a commercial airplane was about a month before I retired. It was a long trip from Portland, OR to Manchester UK and back. I said at the time if I never get a commercial airplane again it'll be too soon. After being in other parts of the world, I'll stay in North America. There's more to see than can be seen in a life time.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Mobile conveniences

Having a toilet and our own food right behind us are benefits of pulling the Scamp.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Norm you got me going here. Radiation from being in an airplane, how so? From what?

Granted I don't care for flying either and if I have the time and can do it would much prefer tooling across the country in my own vehicle. I do miss the notion of foreign travel however, but every time I start to get serious about heading in this direction the thought of dealing with all the airports and airplanes nips it in the bud.

First world problems, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The radiation received in an airplane flight is 30 times what you receive at ground level. 100,000 miles of flying is equivalent to 20 chest x-rays.

Since we've started RVing 14 years ago we've only flown twice.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Radiation from the sun. Flying high, in thinner atmosphere, with less radiation filtered out than is the case at ground level.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
NATURAL RADIATION AT AIRCRAFT ALTITUDES:
FACTS VS. FICTION
M. A. Shea and D. F. Smart
Emeritus at AFRL (RVBXS), Bedford, MA 01731, USA
SYNOPSIS
When the effects of radiation at aircraft altitudes are discussed,
a mix of real and perceived effects often confuses the general public.
The effect of solar protons and X-rays on HF communications is a real phenomenon.
There is confusion with respect to radiation exposure to air crews and the public.
Unfortunately, owing to a public perception that radiation is dangerous,
bad estimates, myths, and urban legends seem to be pervasive.
Radiation dose calculations are being verified by in-flight dosimeters on a
variety of routes around the world. These investigations show that since 1986
there have been no solar proton events that would pose radiation hazards
to the general public.

You can read more here: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...79400599,d.cGU
Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Back in the day, flying used to be fun and exciting.

Now, it's a time vampire, a giant hassle and unpredictable. I've grown to hate it.

On top of all that, it's easier than ever to get sick. Guess what happens if a single person with TB gets aboard your aircraft? It happens, but people are more concerned with the 1 in 10 billion chance of getting Ebola!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We may have to call in Myth Busters Although they would probable disprove the above analysis its doubtful they would come up with a real accurate analysis that we could relate to, as those in the know have been arguing over it for a long long time.

One thing that is know is that exposure to nucleon radiation is very different to exposure to x-ray radiation.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I spent time in the rocky mountains in a tent, plane flies higher but does have a metal shield. I guess I'm just not willing to worry about it.

Do not particularly like flying but with family living 1200 miles away and getting time off of work.... sometimes a 2.5 hour flight beats a 2 day drive when only going to visit for 3 days. I will note that the lower pressure of air travel can really tweak some bad joints, you think you can feel a storm front low pressure well air travel gets every bad joint and old break in a snarly mood. But then so does doing 1200 miles in 2 days.

The reviews of our camper by myself or my wife have never failed to amaze me with how accurate they are when I go out in the drive way and look things over. Looks just like it does in the pictures too! Somehow the KOA cabins and motel rooms never seem as nice in person. Now if I could just get someone to put a mint on my pillow.... without the dog eating it!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If flying constantly in commercial airliners was a huge health risk, wouldn't people who fly for a living (pilots and flight attendants in particular) have much poorer health than the general population?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Probably. But common sense isn't as much fun as spreading myths.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
And the airlines are flying higher than they used to in order to save fuel. Unfortunately they cannot fly faster to reduce the exposure to cosmic rays.
The altitude a commercial airline can fly is limited by the amount of emergency oxygen available to passengers "in the event of an unexpected loss of cabin pressure." Weight of an aircraft and speed have the greatest effect on fuel economy.

It costs Southwest about $1.2 million per year in added fuel when every passenger carries a cellphone, with larger costs of $7 million if every passenger brings a tablet computer, and $21.6 million if everyone totes a laptop. Simply handing everyone an iPad when they stepped onboard could save about $32.7 million per year in fuel costs.

Flying from New York to Los Angeles exposes you to roughly the same amount of radiation you'd get from eight dental X-rays — and less than you'd get living in a stone house for a year. And those peanuts that airlines hand out? They're a little radioactive, too.

Spanke
Old 11-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Wait some airlines still hand out peanuts as in the plural, I mean more than one? I need to upgrade next time I fly.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Compact II
Send a message via AIM to Chuck H
Back in the 50's Buster Brown shoes had a X-ray machine in there store that the kids could stand up in front of in there new shoes and Mom could look through a viewer on front of machine and could see how much room the little toes had to grow into shoes. I personally had several of those X-rays and always wondered what kind of negative effect it caused. Maybe that's why my feet hurt and I sometimes walk wierd!
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #17

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We love traveling with our own little house. We have seen wonderful sites and made lifelong friends. There is so much more to see in this beautiful country. Years ago flying was a fun but not anymore so we rarely fly (and now you have to worry about radiation!). But, sometimes, drifting across the pacific, the siren song of the islands floats to you on soft tropical breezes. Maui is calling and you must go.

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I did not mean to create a dither but did think it was an interesting article. Link follows.

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #19

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post

It costs Southwest about $1.2 million per year in added fuel when every passenger carries a cellphone, with larger costs of $7 million if every passenger brings a tablet computer, and $21.6 million if everyone totes a laptop. Simply handing everyone an iPad when they stepped onboard could save about $32.7 million per year in fuel costs.

Spanke
iPad are not weightless. Everyone having an iPad is probably equivalent to a percentage having a laptop and others nothing or a smart phone. (Or a paperback.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There are other options- traveling by car without a trailer. I agree that sometimes staying in motels is questionable but I'm contemplating a trip where I'd stay almost 100% with friends. I think I'll enjoy it a lot more without the trailer for the one or two nights I'd have to use it to avoid motels. I like the trailer but for a trip where getting there is important, the faster/easier/cheaper driving without it gets my vote.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote