A silly thought... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
With gas prices so low, maybe we all should plan a few more camping trips?? Is anyone else as happy as I am to see them come off of the $4 per gal that we were seeing not so long ago?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Pamela,

I notice that you are from Wyoming where it might be a silly idea to plan another trip, depending on the weather. We live in Oregon and just came back from the Northern Oregon Gathering where it was sometimes cold and wet, but overall very enjoyable. We also have another camping trip on the coast planned for the end of the month. So, yes! It is exciting to see the price of gas dropping. If you get the itch to camp, head this way. There is still time!

Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
We were going to go this past weekend, but with the 14" of wet snow, I am glad I got called to work and we didn't try it. But then again, plenty of propane and a generator, I will go this winter.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Still about a month of various hunting seasons..... (remember: all hunting is- Camping with a Gun) Or fishing if you are so inclined.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
With gas prices so low, maybe we all should plan a few more camping trips?? Is anyone else as happy as I am to see them come off of the $4 per gal that we were seeing not so long ago?

Pam
I'm heading out this weekend. Someplace in western Okla. most likely. It will be good to get out for a while.

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 77 Scamp
A gun eh...not still sore about that pen I happen to procure during our last get together are ya....now that I know your packin heat I might just remember to bring this little fluid beauty back to you.
Quote:
(remember: all hunting is- Camping with a Gun) Or fishing if you are so inclined.... Larry
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
We're going!!

I have 2 more trips planned (maybe 3) before putting our trailer into storage for the long wait til Memorial Day Weekend.

Leaving Friday for Hocking Hills in Southern Ohio and camping with friends who have a 34ft motorhome - trick or treating in the campground, a chili cookoff Saturday afternoon along with a dessert judging contest. Temps will be in the mid 60's with no rain!! but in the 30's at night!

Next weekend packing up again and heading for Washington DC for a long weekend - meeting my nephew who is stationed in Japan and home from the Air Force who I haven't seen in 8 years!

Then maybe, just maybe - heading farther south for Thanksgiving...that trip is 'iffy' but I'm trying to make it happen... I just hate thinking about putting it away for 7 months..
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I will probably take a trip over thanksgiving. Haven't decided where yet, but am looking at one of the BLM areas in AZ, I think.

It's not that far a drive, and no camp fees will help. I haven't been in a "water challenged" situation for more than a couple of days tho. Have to figure out how to go a week with my tank and supplements.. without smelling funny doing it.

I have plnty of solar, 'lectricity generation is not an issue... and I can get TV stations out there.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Angry

Pam, RE: Lower gas prices, more camping = YES!

Gina D, RE: camping in a "water challenged" situation = take extra water along and quick showers or spong baths and shampoo hair only.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
oh, I have all kinds of tricks for keeping clean without much water.

I drink gallons of coffee each morning, and with two dogs, it's at least a gallon a day for them.

Pretty much these days, when I camp.. it is a great excuse to sit around and eat and drink all day. I thought of getting many 2 gallon jugs of "Water, ask for it by name" and if I run low, I 'spose it's easily had in Quartzsite.

The weird thing is.. buying water would sort of negate the camp fees... :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... By the time we got the trailer unwinterized and packed up to go...the price of gas will be back up again!!! So NoGo till spring
A hint for Gina D...There's always "Dry Cleaning".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #12

Last weekend was nasty in Wyoming...14" of snow. However...this weekend is supposed to be 60's. I had problems with my lights the last time I went out, now the truck is fixed...the trailer...not. Lets see...its thursday...I have one night. We are going to pick up a puppy in Nebraska on Saturday, I figured it might be a good excuse to go CAMPING!!!

Wyoming weather is goofy...nasty one weekend, beautiful the next. But you have to make the memories when you can!!

Pam

Old 10-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
We are planning a few days camping next week. There are two Provincial Parks not that far away that are open all winter. Because we live in the country we enjoy going into the surroundings towns and checking out the stores and attractions. Not nearly as crowded as in the summer.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #14

Arrow

To add more water capacity I have one of these in the back of the Ranger a 26 gal capacity tank. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...37114_200337114

16 gal size:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...37116_200337116

A 25 gal size: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...37120_200337120

I order the one I have, due to the limited size of the Ranger's bed. My son has gotten tanks, but different kind, more shape of barrels from Farm & Ranch Supply Companies.

We both use pumps to fill the trailers tanks, but one could use gravity to fill smaller containers.

It would be a big expense, depending on how often one would need to use the added capacity. ???

I'd hate to live without my set-up. We use one of these to transfer water: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_16832_16832

Wal-mart has 6 gal (turquoise colored) plastic jerry cans, several of them would also work for less $s.

Adding H20 capacity is what is needed.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Wal-mart has 6 gal (turquoise colored) plastic jerry cans, several of them would also work for less $s.

Adding H20 capacity is what is needed.
We use those 6 gal containers for moving water, and they are very sensitive to freezing. And...when they freeze... they break...or start to leak...bad...

Pam
Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #16

Arrow

Quote:
We use those 6 gal containers for moving water, and they are very sensitive to freezing. And...when they freeze... they break...or start to leak...bad...

Pam
True, especally in WY, but not too likely at Quartzsite. Too keep from cracking when freezing, do not fill up completly, give some expanding room. But not in WY winters.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Well, not to rub it in, but for The Geezers, EVERY day is Saturday and we're always campin'. We're parked in our winter "nest" at Quartzsite; expect a side-trip of 2 months to Gila Bend (January gridlock in Quartzsite is too scary for words), then back to Q until April when it's time to head to Texas for the Bluebonnet Rally.

Gina - we'll probably accept a family invite for Turkey Day in Chandler ... any chance you'd be visiting your friends there? If we stay in Q, hope we can get together. Good water in Q is 25 cents/gallon or $1 for your 5-gallon container at places like "the Pit Stop" on north AZ 95 - not too bad a drive from the BLM dispersed camping areas. Hope you can get away for a terrific weekend in the desert.

Pamela - we have only driven thru snow in WY once (traveling I-80), but once was enuff. We speculate that "Wyoming" is an ancient Native American term meaning "when does this d***ed wind stop?.

Whatever is going on in your neck of the woods, take care & travel safe. L 'n D
Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Talking

We've been home 8 days, and we're ready to head out again! OK...the trailer's not ready, but we're feeling really cramped here after 9 weeks on the road picking and choosing our sites far from anyone whenever possible. It's not that we're entirely anti-social, but we do love to hear the sound of the trees and the bees when we're camping.

The girls and I head out Monday for another week camping, this time only 35 miles away or so...and it won't be quiet - there are supposed to be some 30 other kids in our group! WHEW!

OH...and for those of you in WYO...it's 85 degrees here today! YIKES!

Jen in Orcutt, CA

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Pamela - we have only driven thru snow in WY once (traveling I-80), but once was enuff. We speculate that "Wyoming" is an ancient Native American term meaning "when does this d***ed wind stop?.

If the wind stopped...we'd all fall over...

Pam
Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
OH...and for those of you in WYO...it's 85 degrees here today! YIKES!
Yes...but think of all the money we are saving on air conditioning!!

Pam