A special request - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
A special request

A special request to all of my camping friends (even the ones I haven’t met yet). Besides being Casita campers Joyce and I also serve as coordinators for our local Red Cross community blood drives. I keep getting requests to encourage people, who are able, to donate because blood is being distributed faster than it is coming in.

If you are able to donate, please locate a blood drive or donation center near wherever you happen to be and make a donation. You can add the Red Cross Blood Donor app to you phone and locate drives and make an appointment. In areas not served by the Red Cross you may have to use Google to locate a drive or donation center. You can also walk in and donate without an appointment.

Even when travelling Joyce and I donate when we become eligible (must wait 56 days between donations).

Since there is a need for blood every 2 seconds in the USA we can be sure that some of those in need will be fellow campers.

If you have questions about your eligibility please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
Tom McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
Can you tell me if I can donate? I am a diabetic but non-insulin dependent. I've heard I cannot donate, but want to verify. Thanks.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
Terry:

I too am diabetic (Type 2 on Metformin Pills). I donate every 8 weeks, no problem.

Al
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Diabetics can donate

Hi,

I have been a moderator on a Diabetes support forum since 2008.

Also led a live support group here for a couple of years.

No problem donating as a diabetic.

Even if you were insulin dependent (like me) it would rapidly clear out of the recipient's system, assuming they are not a T1 diabetic.

My issue is I had malaria 2 X so some will not accept me as a donor. Oh, the joys of living in the tropics for >25 years LOL.

Malaria beats the daylights out of suffering Michigan winters in any case.

Oh!!! I guess we do not do that, as we take our rig south below the hard freeze line for the winters,
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
BatDude,

Thanks for letting us know about diabetics donating blood. It seems so FITTING somehow that you, the Bat Dude, would know about bloodletting.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I am not the right person to answer questions about eligibility to donate blood.

I am fairly sure that the above about Diabetes is correct. The malaria issue I have a though but not an answer. I do know that if I travel to what is considered a "malaria area" I will be deferred from donating blood for 12 months. (I have been there and done that)

For correct answers to eligibility questions please call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767)

Thanks,
Tom
Tom McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have heard that a diabetic can donate but that you may be excluded if you have had gloucouse rw stings outside a certain range in the 39 days prior. Maybe BatDude or someone can confirm or clarify my understanding.

Note. I'm celebrating 50 years of living with diabetes.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I suggest that rather than speculate or try to get information here you to the RED CROSS web site Link RED CROSS and get the information direct.