A Thought - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Road Eating

With respect to Forks over Knives.

Of course everythings a choice, but it is easier for us to eat healthier on the road. As we travel about we try to focus on local fresh product of the area.

Some measure of eating is stress related. For us stress virtually disappears on the road. For me working required some measure of business eating. Gone now. Family gathering eating gone while we're on the road.

No oven means very low quantities of baked goods. Though we still eat out on occasion on the road, it's really rare for it to be a heavy, high caloric meal. More likely it's splitting a meal.

Every day we're outside walking and exploring, just a healthier life style.

I think the RV lifestyle is a little like summers as a child. You have breakfast and you're outside all day. Eating becomes secondary to playing. When we return to our trailer at night we generally have something light to eat and typically are in bed by 9 PM. And usually sleep well.

As a side story, yesterday at a birthday party a non-rver asked "What do your children think of you being gone all the time?".

I'm sure she expected us to suggest they missed us or were upset. Ginny immediately answered "They are jealous".

We meet a number of people, RVers included who don't travel extensively because they think their kids, grandkids would be upset. The reality for our kids and grandkids is that they wish they could do it as well. We're out there having fun like friends and lovers every day, how they hope to be at 73 as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #42

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Ray --I own Forks over Knives and watch it periodically. I also subscribe to its recipes, in hopes some day I will prepare something with several ingredients! It plus about five other DVDs and blogs help me stay inspired. Thanks for mentioning it! It's an excellent tool for good health. Norm, thanks for reminding me about fasting. That's another way to keep one's mind clear, I would think. I'm looking forward to sampling fresh fruit and vegetables in each part of the country! Yum. My family isn't concerned about my taking up RVing other than that they are certain I'll fail. I love that! Great incentive.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #43

Florida
Wendy,

I've been reading about fasting this morning. There's a long fasting tradition. Here's an article on Intermittent Fasting.

I find when I fast for a day it has a carry over to the next day in that the day after I'm simply interested in eating less.

The Beginner's Guide to Intermittent Fasting

It is clear that on average we eat too much food and usually too much of the wrong foods. It is difficult to break life long practices.

I'm sorry your family is predicting failure but this is common. On all levels this was the expectation for us. My loving business partner continuously attempted me to start another business with him. He died about 10 years into our adventure and among his last words were, "you made the right decision".

RVing itself is fun. It is simply a method for extended travel, a platform for changing your life, a chance to grow. We've been smiling for 15 years.

The naysayers see the physical difference in our bodies, they see the smile on our faces, they know the stories of our travels. No one criticizes much any more though we do hear, "We like to camp..at a Marriott".

They wonder how we stand driving all day from here to there; we don't drive much in a day that's how we do it.

Our favorite response is typically from our Doctor who says based on us, he tells people to buy an RV and hit the road, a great tonic for working diseases.

As to fruits and vegetables, when in FL we pick strawberries about once a week. The pick your own strawberry patch has the best broccoli ever, totally different than store broccoli, and mustard greens and onions out of the ground. Fresh oranges and real orange juice is available for 6 months.

Keep in touch Wendy, let us know how it goes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #44

Florida
Thanks, Norm, everything you say resonates with me. You two are wonderful examples to me, and I so appreciate your support.

WendyW
Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #45

Florida
Be a doer

In her Dartmouth Commencement Address, Shonda Rimes shared a strategy.

Dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change…
Ditch the dream and be a doer, not a dreamer.

Maybe you know exactly what it is you dream of being, or maybe you’re paralyzed because you have no idea what your passion is. The truth is, it doesn’t matter. You don’t have to know. You just have to keep moving forward.

You just have to keep doing something, seizing the next opportunity, staying open to trying something new. It doesn’t have to fit your vision of the perfect job or the perfect life.

Perfect is boring and dreams are not real. Just … do.

So you think, “I wish I could travel.” Great. Sell your crappy car, buy a ticket to
Bangkok, and go. Right now."

We never had this inspirational thought but it's what we did, actually selling two cars and a boat.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #46

Florida
I'm reading a booklet on Mastering Creativity and came across something that applies to every small trailer owner but also to everyone's life.

Limitations drive you to figure out solutions.
Your constraints inspire your creativity.

We travel in for what is an unimaginably small trailer for many people and we do it for for extended periods. We can create within ourselves and our small space a comfortable place. Look at what we have, not what we don't have.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #47

Florida
Speaking of Limitations

Dr. Suess, before becoming famous was bet he could not write a book using only 50 words. Green Eggs and Ham was the result, the most published children's book ever with 200,000,000 copies sold.

The author's message is think not of the limitations but rather what you can do within the limitations. My Scamp's 92 square feet is not a limitation but a defined opportunity.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #48

Florida
Sharing

I'm interested in fasting and came across an article by James Clear on Intermittent Fasting. That led me to two booklets he written and the basis of a lot of today's posts: Transform your Habits and Mastering Creativity. These books contain life nuggets, take about a half hour to read and are well worth anyone's time.

Books | James Clear

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #49

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Norm and Ginny,

I have just read everything you have written in this post when I should have been working. I do not have the ability to articulate my beliefs and thoughts as obviously as you are able to do so impressively. I am very inspired by your every word and attitude. It's really got me thinking. I am always thinking about my time left and how and what I want to do with it. Your positive attitude and kindness comes through your every word. Just wanted to let you know your vision & attitude has touched me.
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #50

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It's sort of funny... we have two threads going right now, one called "A thought" and one called "Never a thought".
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #51

Florida
A Big Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen A. View Post
Norm and Ginny,
I am always thinking about my time left and how and what I want to do with it.
Thanks for the kind words.

We came up upon our decision when a friend died, we were 58. I miss my friend but he was a wonderful catalyst for the remainder of our life.

Once I saw death, the finality of it all, the fact action was required to break away from the pattern of almost 40 years. Surprisingly it was easy for me. Ginny and I were driving through Bahia Honda, a FL state park, and I looked at the RVs and said to Ginny "We're going to buy and RV, quit our jobs and travel". Ginny replied "OK". I read everything I could since we were totally inexperienced. WE bought an RV, parked it in the front yard and moved in. About 5 months later we were on the road, some 15 years ago.

Most people that new us, particularly me, expected us to travel for a year and return to our 'normal' life.

Before John died I helped write a short biography for his family. What came across, in part, was the undone. The expectation that the big boat trip, the western adventures would all take place in the future. It made me stop and think of my blessed mother-in law, who had told me that the golden years weren't so golden.

It's hard to see where you are sometimes and to imagine what's left. I would definitely say John's death made the difference. It made us conscious of the end of life.

Many of our friends would say that we made a choice for ourselves, definitely leaving family and friends behind. A number of time we'd here what about your kids and grandkids? The reality is their lives are chockful. What they mostly think is lucky them and I'd like to do that (both of our children are now Escapees as well).

I'm a believer in making choices. For most of our lives we've given to others, by raising our boys, by starting companies and creating employment, by starting a soup kitchen, by serving as a mayor, ...... we just decided it was our turn for serving ourselves and each other.

Ginny was worried about the financial aspect of it all me not so much. I remember reading some book that said do it, the money will come. The kids cheered us on, telling us not to worry about leaving money for them (so many want to leave a financial legacy).

Anyway.. there's our thinking of the time left. We've traveled for 15 years by RV, we're hoping for 10 more years but you really never know. Live for today....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #52

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Change and uncertainty are hard. You can either choose to be excited or alarmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #53

Florida
[QUOTE=Denece;537849]Change and uncertainty are hard. You can either choose to be excited or alarmed.

Assuming we're talking about the change associated with traveling, personally I did not find it difficult. It was a conscious choice to live in a less controlled way, truly a freeing decision. The worst outcome would have been returning home, selling the RV and getting another job.

The decision to travel was spontaneous, the preparation was conscious.

Once started there was no uncertainty, no alarm, just recognition of a new path. Life is studded with potential new paths, each path can add excitement to life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #54

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Exactly! There is almost a knife blade precipice and it is all about choice

When we quit our jobs, sold our house, and set off cruising in our sailboat in our early 50's we had no idea what the future would bring.

Ain't life wonderful?

Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #55

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Ray --I own Forks over Knives and watch it periodically. I also subscribe to its recipes, in hopes some day I will prepare something with several ingredients! It plus about five other DVDs and blogs help me stay inspired. Thanks for mentioning it! It's an excellent tool for good health. Norm, thanks for reminding me about fasting. That's another way to keep one's mind clear, I would think. I'm looking forward to sampling fresh fruit and vegetables in each part of the country! Yum. My family isn't concerned about my taking up RVing other than that they are certain I'll fail. I love that! Great incentive.
Wendy, not sure why your family thinks you will fail in RVing but you will obviously not have that problem. Of course, you know much from reading that they do not, but they will find out from you. What area are you going to first? Do you have a plan as to where you will be for the next year? It is so exciting to go full-time!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #56

Florida
Hi, Cathi, thanks for the kind response! My family thinks I'll fail because I'll be 69 soon, and until last month had never set foot in a travel trailer, much less dealt with the myriad logistics that we all face full-timing. I have so little money that I don't pay taxes, but I always have enough. The fam, on the other hand, is filthy rich but miserly and is afraid I'll need something from them. I agree that it's a serious undertaking, but it's far from impossible. My plan is to aim west from Minnesota and take only blue highways. I'm meeting friends in N.Calif. for Thanksgiving and want to reach Quartzsite for Boot Camp at the end of January. That's the entire plan so far! What are your plans?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:11 AM   #57

Norm, travel itself can be change but so can travel mode. The mode can make quite a difference.

Did the ticket to Bangkok thing over 40 years ago and tried to do a good amount of travel over the years. Wish it had been more. That is probably every traveller's wish.

One looks forward to the upcoming new adventures. Our next is Canada also, but the western half. We will be picking up a trailer --- just wish we had a trailer to pick up the trailer!

Travel is not change for me since I started early and lived in a couple of foreign countries, but travel by trailer and specifically fiberglass egg is change. I did the Marriott type thing too as I know you did, and this is so much better. I don't mind a hotel once in a while but greatly prefer the woods and lakes and wandering around, just to see what there is to see. Which is always more than one thinks. I have made it a point not to go from A to B and run right back, but to see some of what is in the different areas, if possible.

As you, we do not travel too far in a day so we can have a good pace and time to get a sense of the area. We are slow travellers by others' standards but that is the only way that seems to make sense these days. While I might have wanted to "collect places" when younger, I now want to do the opposite and delve into one place at a time. I guess that is what comes with age and a travel background. Little interest in running around covering large swaths in as little time as possible anymore. Have to pick the berries.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Hi, Cathi, thanks for the kind response! My family thinks I'll fail because I'll be 69 soon, and until last month had never set foot in a travel trailer, much less dealt with the myriad logistics that we all face full-timing. I have so little money that I don't pay taxes, but I always have enough. The fam, on the other hand, is filthy rich but miserly and is afraid I'll need something from them. I agree that it's a serious undertaking, but it's far from impossible. My plan is to aim west from Minnesota and take only blue highways. I'm meeting friends in N.Calif. for Thanksgiving and want to reach Quartzsite for Boot Camp at the end of January. That's the entire plan so far! What are your plans?
Sounds like a good plan, Wendy. Something specific to look forward to but otherwise you can go where you want and do what you want most of the time without a schedule.

We are going up to Chilliwack to get our new Escape. Then we will have a trip back through four Canadian provinces, usually staying in national parks including Banff and Jasper or provincial parks, and some private campgrounds also. Had to book just about everything due to it being August which is a month we usually avoid. In this case, however, with mountains much of the trip, probably a good time.

I definitely want to go to Quartzsite but don't know if we will make it 2016.

Not possible to fail at RVing! Can't wait to hear of your adventures.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #59

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Norm, what you say about doing is true. If people could see time as it really is, they'd realize our time in this earth is fleeting.

We got the RV right after I turned 50. What spurred me to act was that I realized I had "dreamed" it when I was 35 or so. I dreamed it again from time to time, but life, priorities, work, and whatever other excuse I came up with kept me from acting. It came to me then. While you wait, life is passing you by.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #60

Florida
Looking Back

“Millions yearn to live for an eternity, yet can't figure out what to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon.”

I decided to look back to the first post of this thread. It’s probably not true that millions yearn to live for an eternity, but certainly most people don’t want to die. They want a healthy, extended life.

Though when we made our decision to RV we had a great life, we recognized the end was approaching, yet we were still doing what we always had, spending most of our lives working, followed by sleeping and maintaining.

Maintaining is what you do with your non working, non-sleeping time. It includes cooking, cleaning, cutting the grass, washing the car, maintaining the house, maintaining family and friend relationships…

When we started traveling we tracked every expenditure. First, tracking expenditures makes you conscious of spending. In itself it’s a good way to control expenses. Second, in the long term it allows us to review our expenses and consider choices.

I was thinking that it might be interesting to look at time that way. For example, 6-8 hours sleeping, an hour preparing for work, a half hour driving to work, 4 hours working in the morning, a hour for lunch, another 4 hours of work, a half hour driving home, a half hour recovering from the day, a half hour for dinner, a couple of hours maintaining, …. it all leaves little time for just you.

One of the best parts of our RV life is all the uncommitted time, not empty time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16