A Thought - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Hi, Cathi, thanks for the kind response! My family thinks I'll fail because I'll be 69 soon, and until last month had never set foot in a travel trailer, much less dealt with the myriad logistics that we all face full-timing. I have so little money that I don't pay taxes, but I always have enough. The fam, on the other hand, is filthy rich but miserly and is afraid I'll need something from them. I agree that it's a serious undertaking, but it's far from impossible. My plan is to aim west from Minnesota and take only blue highways. I'm meeting friends in N.Calif. for Thanksgiving and want to reach Quartzsite for Boot Camp at the end of January. That's the entire plan so far! What are your plans?
Wendy, I can sympathize. I have a brother like that... plenty of moola, and very tight with it. Everything's a business transaction to him, even with relatives.

You have an opportunity to prove to your family that you are not too old to learn (and enjoy!) something new. You'll be able to take satisfaction in that. Don't worry, RVing is not rocket science and it certainly is rewarding.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wendy,

I'll be thinking about your travels.

One magic aspect of road life is that you don't 'have to' think about the people you've left at home but rather enjoy yourself. Focus on yourself and not proving anything to others.

Our first year on the road we returned home for Christmas, really for others and not ourselves. We never did that again. Oh for sure we return home for family emergencies or super special events, but really our focus is us and our travels.

One of Ginny's sisters visited us this past winter. At the end of the visit she said I can see you're having a great time, you'll never keep your NH home.

Both Ginny's grandfather and my grandfather immigrated to the USA, neither ever wanted to go back to the 'old country'. They had found a great place, loved it and that was final.

Take your time, except no road miracles but be grateful when they come, and enjoy a simpler life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #63

Florida
One more thing...You have a lot of fiberglass RV friends where ever you travel. If you have a real problem post it, possibly someone will be nearby and give you a hand.

I'll PM you our address information in case you ever have a problem in FL and of course you'd be welcome to stop by at our place any time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #64

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I second what Norm said. Anywhere in western Canada, (Manitoba to BC). I like to drive.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #65

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Mike, Norm, David and Cathi, THANK YOU. I just realized that time and money are similar -- how much one has is about perception. I believe I have enough of both. I worry about neither. I use only that which I have. Some of my most valuable time -- years -- was spent "doing" nothing, only to find at the end that I was shed of some toxic thinking and behavior. Way has now opened to a life I expected no one to understand but one about which I am clear is my new path. And then I met you, who do understand. I admit I'm sad that my brother and I don't share a common language, but I have accepted that it's so. Once I was visiting him and his wife shortly after they had moved, something they did often for his work. While using a hair dryer, I blew a fuse, but workers were doing something nearby so I didn't know I was responsible. Long story short, my brother's temporary wine cellar in the garage was on the same line and was without power for 24 hours. He treated the loss of a few degrees as a death in the family. His wine collection was ruined! Ruined!! Years later, he remained angry at me for the loss and told me so. It was then that I fully understood the depth of our differences, and I realized to many/most rich people, net worth is more precious than shared DNA. it's a choice. I'll never be able to grasp the loss he felt, just as he will never grasp my joy.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #66

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Mike, Norm, David and Cathi, THANK YOU. I just realized that time and money are similar -- how much one has is about perception. I believe I have enough of both. I worry about neither. I use only that which I have. Some of my most valuable time -- years -- was spent "doing" nothing, only to find at the end that I was shed of some toxic thinking and behavior. Way has now opened to a life I expected no one to understand but one about which I am clear is my new path. And then I met you, who do understand. I admit I'm sad that my brother and I don't share a common language, but I have accepted that it's so. Once I was visiting him and his wife shortly after they had moved, something they did often for his work. While using a hair dryer, I blew a fuse, but workers were doing something nearby so I didn't know I was responsible. Long story short, my brother's temporary wine cellar in the garage was on the same line and was without power for 24 hours. He treated the loss of a few degrees as a death in the family. His wine collection was ruined! Ruined!! Years later, he remained angry at me for the loss and told me so. It was then that I fully understood the depth of our differences, and I realized to many/most rich people, net worth is more precious than shared DNA. it's a choice. I'll never be able to grasp the loss he felt, just as he will never grasp my joy.
That's a shame he felt that way Wendy. Having said that, there's a big difference between a person having money, and money having them. I have a few wealthier friends who are the former, and a few who are the latter. No secret that the former are much more pleasant to be around.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #67

Florida
We're sophisticated wine drinkers. We keep ours under the rear dinette in a custom ABS wine rack from Charlie, fill it with wine from Trader Joes and keep it at 60 degrees F +/- 30 degrees.

Smile and laugh, some people won't be able to figure out why you're happy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #68

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
sweet
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #69

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We're sophisticated wine drinkers. We keep ours under the rear dinette in a custom ABS wine rack from Charlie, fill it with wine from Trader Joes and keep it at 60 degrees F +/- 30 degrees.

Well then, I am definitely a sophisticated wine drinker too !
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #70

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Aha! Is this why you always sound so mellow on the forum? Plenty of vino!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #71

Florida
Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Aha! Is this why you always sound so mellow on the forum? Plenty of vino!
We always carry 3 bottle of wine and rarely drink wine or any other alcoholic beverage except when we have guests or are with people who are drinking. I suppose we're social drinkers. The reality is we've always been moved to being silly and don't need liquid relaxation.

We reserve wine for guests but serve alcohol only if there are no known former alcoholics in the group.

Ginny likes wine but after two glasses she's smiling more than normal.

Neither of us have ever been drunk, just a conscious decision from an early age, not religious based.

That said I've been to Oktoberfest in Munich, and had a number of varieties of beer.

We have many friends who drink, and actually our Escapee park is heavy on parties. We're commonly called the 'kids', even at 72, and been told by the 'older' members that they're happy to see the old spirit(s).

I will say fresh picked Florida strawberries make great daiquiris. We're careful but adventuresome.

See Mike, you didn't know I was a wild guy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #72

Florida
Ginny's Away

Ginny's off for a couple of days with her 3 sisters; I'm certain laughter will abound. Me, I'm always lonely when Ginny's away, more so since we started RVing.

It's strikes me how much I need her after 15 years of 24/7.

I know I've mentioned it before, but extended RVing is an opportunity to grow closer together. I'm not sure growing closer has to be a joint consideration to start extended travel.

Home for the next few days I plan to take the opportunity to write. I've written 100s of pages over the years on all kinds of topics. I find it's a 'release to thought'; minimally I like it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #73

Florida
Traveler versus the Tourist

The traveler sees what he sees,
The tourists sees what he comes to see.

G.K. Chesterson

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #74

Florida
Norm,

Your 'release of thought' reminded me of this comment on writing by Mencken:

"I write in order to attain that feeling of tension relieved and function achieved, which a cow enjoys on giving milk."
-- H. L. Mencken
Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 AM   #75

Florida
Release of Thought

Quote:
Norm,

Your 'release of thought' reminded me of this comment on writing by Mencken:

"I write in order to attain that feeling of tension relieved and function achieved, which a cow enjoys on giving milk."
-- H. L. Mencken
So often in life you're in a small group and the conversation stimulates a thought but for some reason it's difficult to have a conversation around the thought.

When you write, the thought gets to be expressed, though for the non-published, it's only a personal release. Personal release, committing to print, requires action and expression, and like the cow, a release from carrying a burden.

Thanks for mentioning Mencken, another person I did not know about, along with Chesterson, still time to learn.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #76

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Wow....this sight just got a how lot smarter.

Wonderful insight and perspective. Yellow dogs have always been special.
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #77

Florida
Thoughts - aging and health

I am an older RVer - making 73 today, actually a holy day of obligation if you're a Roman Catholic. I always found that funny as a child. My mother in law, a great woman, used to tell me to put my feet in the ocean on this holy day to cure anything. Of course she would have Ginny would wear garlic around her neck as a child to prevent colds. That probably worked and she never got a hickey.

Turning 73 I think about our time on the road and our health. We're certainly pretty good for our age but we could be better. I was recognizing that as we age we typically lose margin. Weights we could lift at one time, we can no longer and for some of us that includes ourselves. We lift an few ounces more than some amount and we feel a twinge, sometimes damage occurs.

Some loss of margin is age related, some is simply our own fault. When we were 20 we might have weighed 150 but now weigh 200. That extra 50 pounds was part of our margin.

Before gaining 50 lbs we may have been able to lift 50 pounds or more without straining anything. Now we carry the extra 50 every minute of every day without thinking too much of it. Now when we try to lift 50 beyond our weight, something we used to be able to do, we can not. Something gives.

For a test try carrying 25 pounds for an hour. Ask yourself if you're carrying an extra 25 all the time? You can surrender the weight and regain margin.

We watched a 5 mile road race today. There some really old people and some really young people that flew across the finish line. I recognized that some people develop themselves to maintain their strength. I think it's important for older Rvers to become conscious of their health. Time steals margin, we can get some back. Not by becoming health fanatics but by becoming aware and doing little things...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #78

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
The frustrating thing is that we begin losing 10% of our muscle mass per year sometime in middle age. Even with exercise, this makes it harder for us to stay strong. Making sure hormones are in balance really helps (yes, even *guys* may need HRT!). This also helps with loss of muscle mass.

Yes, I know there's a lot of controversy over HRT. And a lot of sadness related to falls, loss of balance, loss of strength. So...

Yoga, tai chi, pilates, various kinds of exercise on a regular basis, ballroom dancing -- exercise is important to keep us stronger as we get older.

Check out the 94 y/o lady still teaching yoga in England. Still doing lotus pose and walking around in kitten heels.

Amazing.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #79

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
OMG.... In my house 70 is the new 50... which makes moi 51, which explains, in part, why I am so whatever you want to call it. But, I'm only about 2" bigger in the waist, and 15 lbs heavier than when in the Navy back in the days of Wooden ships and Iron men..... This week I have to replace about 120 lbs of damaged concrete tiles on my roof before I can take another month long vacation the following week.

For this vacation I'm going to the fire area in Chelan, WA, where my ex-wife and I have to tear down a now fire damaged shed, rebuild a fire damaged fence, cut a new fire break and build a 2nd floor deck. The deck was planned, yesterdays fire wasn't..... After that, we will pitch in at Habitat for Humanity for a 2 week building session with them.

My wake-up call to never get old came when my Dad died from cancer at 51, and I decided to make up for the years that smoking took away from him, and that I had to live at least twice as long as he was able. So far it's working.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #80

Florida
Norm, Happy Birthday and many happy returns of the day!! Congratulations on reaching this milestone and still wanting to lead a caravan to Newfoundland next year. Getting older makes everything so much more precious and sparkling, like having fun and making contributions like Bob Miller. Life just keeps twinkling!