A Thought - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Thought

Millions yearn to live for an eternity, yet can't figure out what to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

Florida
Most of you are not where we are but you’re heading there. We’ll be 73 shortly, having spent 15 years traveling North America. In a sense a marvelous dream realized.

When we began our travel adventure, though triggered by the death of a friend, we were not conscious of our own approaching end. It’s only recently that I’ve considered ‘measuring time left’, at least in the sense of considering the real possibility.

When we were younger a young man noticed storm clouds gathering while surfing less than a ½ mile from our home. He and his pals, recognizing the danger, immediately headed to shore. While walking up the beach he was struck by lightning on the first strike. A doctor watching from the wall ran to him only to find him dead. Unfortunately the young college student had a wet suit with a plastic zipper; a metal zipper might have saved him. Instead the lightening bolt went down his spinal cord instead of a metal zipper.

This young man was the brother of our son’s girlfriend so we attended the funeral. It was absolutely the saddest funeral. All these struck, some what dazed students, many experiencing death for the first time. Funerals are easier on the old, both the dead and the living, the young are wound up in possibilities, death is not in view. Recognizing the possibility of death can make a difference in one’s choices.

When my college roommate died I made the choice to pack it in and travel, in her wonderful way Ginny supported me. Now that we’ve traveled for 15 years and recognize the end’s coming I believe we need to more tightly focus on our remaining years, not that I think the end will be here soon, but sooner than it was a day ago.

As a sidebar, I am happy for our 15 years of travel, actually they are the topping to a wonderful life. The travel years were so fulfilling that should death come knocking I believe I would feel satisfied by life.

We plan to continue our travels in our ever loyal Scamp, focusing a little more on favorites, places and each other.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Well said Norm. Gotta make the most of your life while you're here. As the saying goes, you can't change the past, you might not have a future, the present moment is the only guarantee.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #4

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Beautiful post.... thanks for sharing this!
Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #5

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up GOD BLESS

THATS NICE
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:39 AM   #6

Florida
A couple of thoughts

Many have wondered how much data we use monthly now that we watch TV via the Internet. Before TV on the Internet we used 5 Gigabytes a month, with Internet TV we used an astounding 124 Gigabytes this month. Ginny jokes about the Gigabyte police showing up, however we have seen no throttling of our service.

We have just completed the Inspector Morse series, a wonderful British detective series, really 33 movies. He died last night in the final show. It was kind of sad for us on two levels.

In the series Morse is very successful at his job but truly unsuccessful at life. He leads a lonely unhappy life. All through the series we hoped he would find some measure of happiness, particularly someone to share his life.

For me living happily is the goal. My first job mentor told me the purpose of life was to maximize fun. I guess I translated that to happiness. There was no doubt that Morse needed a small fiberglass trailer, a like soul and ....

It's what follows the 'and' I wonder about. What allows our time on the road to be 'a happy time'?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

California
Well, for the record, I don't watch TV, nor do I have a like soul to share my life and I feel pretty happy. IMHO, happiness doesn't come from others, it comes from within!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #8

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up think

Good Morning Norm

think happy thoughts

ps say hi to ginny
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloMatt View Post
Well, for the record, I don't watch TV, nor do I have a like soul to share my life and I feel pretty happy. IMHO, happiness doesn't come from others, it comes from within!
I can't disagree with a single thing you wrote. It's certainly not necessary to be coupled to be happy.

In the case of Inspector Morse coupling seemed to be something he desired but could not achieve.

As to TV, we dropped traditional TV because there didn't seem to be much for us to watch. Internet TV is different and we find it a nice break from the past, no or few commercials, a choice of great shows, and the ability to see the complete series in relatively short order.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Norm, I read almost all of your posts on this site, no matter what you write about.

Your writings about life and love are inspiring. You are blessed and because of love, share your blessings with others here in kindness, help and friendship. I have been the recipient of your willing, detailed help to which you benefitted or profited none.

You just helped to help, just one person to another. I think you are a fine human being.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Florida
Thank you Wendy, very kind of you. I still seek to get better and am always puzzled when I see things not working for people. I know Inspector Morse is a fictional character but he represents people who are somehow trapped. In this case though definitely smart and cultured, unable to escape some part of his genes, education and/or culture. WE owe it to ourselves to become the most we can become.

It's a reasonable thought that each morning one asks 'How can I make today better?' It's in asking that we find answers. It's not a trite thought for each of us has more power and ability than we exercise.

It's funny I said exercise because I'm back at it, taking a break while emptying the house. As I age, it becomes obvious how important it is to get yourself in a reasonable state. Weaknesses that a younger body could over come are no longer possible.

I laughingly think what I'd do if some one gave me a 65 pound sack of potatoes to carry all day. The fact is before we began RVing I carried that extra 'body' weight for years. Ginny and I have been laughing as we we sorted through 1000's of pictures, throwing out some of the 'fat Norman pictures', rewriting my personal history. (Of course there are no fat Ginny pictures, I do not have a death wish.)

I do not mean to imply that creating a better today is all about exercise, it's not. Really it's more about behavior.

Off the track, but my mind is on the topic after last night's Inspector Morse, the dying of a fictional character. (We follow another fictional character, Moone Boy, who has a fictional friend. Fictional or real it's important to have some one to talk to about the day to day, even if it's yourself.

Thanks Wendy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #12

New York
Registry
All very true. Right now, I talk to God and myself about the day to day. The God part won't change. He knows I'm lousy and loves me anyway.

The "couplered" part I hope to change (just made that up, in light of our trailering). One never knows what's blowing in the wind, except change.

I too seek improvement; for myself, my relationships, in life. Life goes on each day, in blessing, and agree that striving for betterment and goodness might ought to be a goal for each one of us.

No thanks necessary, as I can't help but to notice the good in you. You're just too obvious. 😊

Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #13

Name: Marky
Texas
My goal is enjoying life. We can't be angry and happy at the same time. I get up every morning grateful for everything and everyone in my life. I've learned to forgive others and to humble myself.
I enjoy using technology. I have various books on my kindle including a bible, use my iPad, and enjoy watching TV. Through Facebook I found several of my relatives and friends across the country that I hadn't talked to in 35 years.
I also know that happiness is a choice.
Marky

Sent from my Z987 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I also know that happiness is a choice.
This becomes more and more clear to me every day!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
In less than three weeks I'll be 79. I just got a new trailer which I use. My doctor tells me my health age is 10 years younger than my calendar age. I was happy to hear that but that doesn't mean I have a guarantee of X number of years left so I go where I want, do what I want. My wife passed away over two years ago. I joined an internet dating site and am exploring a relationship with a very nice woman. Will it develop into anything serious? I don't know but time will tell. I'm trying to live what's left of my life in the most satisfying way possible.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

New York
Registry
That's the way, rgrugg!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #17

Florida
Bob,

Good for you. WIshing you continued good health, you can be our model for travel as one ages. At the SKP Resort in FL one of the original members, a man who help build the park, is 92 and owns two rigs and still travels all over the country. He reminds me of Ginny's grandfather, a real wiry guy.

As I've written before Ginny says to be sure and get another navigator. Wishing you well in a developing future.

Life is about choices and making choices implies conscious acts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #18

Florida
Travel Thought

I was talking to a friend last night discussing partner relationships, loosely and tightly bound relationships. As we chatted I recognized there's definitely a lack of openness in relationships, even the best of relationships.

People committed to each other should be able to be open without fear or anxiety about communications. I suggested to my friend, a sometimes writer. that it might be a good book topic. Certainly two people alone on the road for extended periods should be open with each other in a friendly and growing way.

In the process of chat, we also tripped over how little humanity knows. We were discussing a University study about Alzheimers where 9 of 10 people were cured by diet and life style chnage, nearly a miracle if you know the disease. Interestingly millions of people are taking prescription drugs that really do little in the battle against the disease.

Not attacking the drug companies, they are certainly trying, however it makes me stop and wonder how little we know. It strikes me that as a species we have time for destructive drugs, personal conflict, killing and conquest, yet little time for knowledge.

As a retired person, my intention is to spend more time on the road learning and thinking. I have been in a sense graced with time (and certainly earned it); I should use some amount of it considering issues.

I read an article that mentioned how Bill Gates does this in the area of Climate. His thoughts follow. Some may not agree with him, but it shows he's thinking critically.

Bill Gates Says The Cost Of Switching To Wind And Solar Would Be “Beyond Astronomical” | Real Science

Hope this isn't too much off the track but it shows what one extended traveler's thinking about.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #19

Florida
Human Nature

It seems the genetic characteristics of people goes deep.

I commented to my really quick sister-in-law about the negative attitudes of a mutual acquaintance, she responded “Some dogs bark”. How true, some dogs ’naturally’ bark more than others, some are ‘naturally’ more aggressive than others.

What separates us from dogs is our ability to become truly conscious about what we are, how we respond in life. I’m upset with myself when I step outside of normal bounds, when I’m attacking on the forum.

Being Conscious is when we can become our best.

We have a very good friend who proudly says “I’m a yellow dog Democrat”. I had never heard that description. “What’s a yellow dog Democrat?” She smiled, a person who would vote Democrat even if a Yellow Dog was the democratic candidate.

Some dogs bark, some dogs are yellow. In life I find people can be the same. I am an engineer and made a living designing new products, usually things that never existed or were novel variants of existing products.

The immediate response of a large number of people to the 'new' amazed me. “Why make that? It won’t work! No one needs it! So often a negative response, rather than a positive response.

There are so many that instantly have the negative response, do not seek the solution, do not search for the new path, and rather accept what is…. do not know nor care to know beyond what they think they know.

When deciding to take off in an RV, there were plenty of audible and silent comments, a wondering about my reality. One of the most interesting aspects of our travels is the seeking and the finding. As we moved into our RV in the front yard, it was discovering a new way to live. Once on the road, it was finding lots of new worlds, foods, cultures and simple trial adventures.

The reality is we’re as broad and varied as we consciously choose to recognize.

No unconscious yellow dog here....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Well put Norm. One thing I've learned is that life is about change. The aversion to change, motivated mostly by a sense of uncertainty or insecurity, is ingrained in the species. The one thing that helped my career the most (I'm a Network Architect/Engineer) was the ability to think unconventionally. It does scare some people, but as long as you've got the inner assurance, it won't scare you.