Accommodating the (canine) Kids - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My children have just about had it. They are sick of Mr Squirrel and Mr. Monkey, and now the weather just does not allow for them to go "out" for longer than to take care of bizness. This is fine for the male, however, I have suited up in my raingear 3 times and the female has refused to do her thing. She seems scared so she won't scope out a place to do the deed. She just stands there. I have tried putting her on the tether and tossing her out the door on her own, she just scratches at the door to come in. It is too windy to set up the doggie jail.

When IN, she scratches at the door to go OUT. I am at wits end here.

I have placed a large plastic garbage bag over the entry rug, and newspapers over that. That is where she seems to have "accidents" in the AM if I don't pay attention to the "I NEED to go out" pleas while I am sleeping.

I have not paper trained either of them, and standing her on the paper and saying "Go pp" only confuses her. She is a very old dog, she is NOT going to learn new tricks

Besides switching to cats.. what do you do when "trapped" in your egg with 4 legged friends?

On edit: Topic title changed to reflect subject is not human children, for archival search purposes.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I'm thinking that if you have a copy of the Sunday Oregonian you could cover the whole floor with newspapers (or large enough plastic bags) and let the "chips" fall where they may. That is supposedly how paper training is often started.

If you have enough plastic and enough left over of the foil tape I'd suggest taping the plastic an inch or so up on the walls. The male could still be a problem, though.

Our young dog has an incredible bladder capacity, but as the years go by that will no doubt diminish.

Good luck!
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am actually very proud of her. As she has gotten older, her ability to control has diminished, like any dog.

She has been out on the tether since the sun came out this afternoon, and she left 3 presents. No presents of any sort in the trailer in almost 24 hours. She had every chance and my blessing, but she still didn't do it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Gina! You are right to be proud of your ol' girl. Our Minnie (5 yrs) can be the stubbornest dog in 6 states about finding THE spot. In fact, just this morning she couldn't find any familiar smells after about 5" of snow/ice ... just the minumum, but she'll be ready later on this morning, I'm sure. Most of the time in bad weather we just bundle up and take her out. Hmmm ... "owned & trained by a Dachuachua"?

However, since our trips have gotten longer, Minnie is learning the importance of the ol' saying "Never pass up a chance to use the Loo"! Take care - LdB
Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I know it's "winter" here on the wet coast when our 12-year-old cat starts using her indoor litter box.

What's that smell? Oh! It's wintertime!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #6

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Our dog Meka, 12 years old, has traveled with us since she was 6 months old. She knows when we're taking a road trip because she eats well and does all her business before we leave. Along the way we stop every couple of hours. She sniffs the area a little, quickly teeweenkles, takes a couple of licks of water, then wants back in the truck ready to hit the road again. We haven't had time to go ourselves! When it's raining, she'll tuck her tail, fold back her ears and quickly find a suitable place to do her business, then hurry back inside. No dilly-dallying for her!

The only trouble she gives us is at bedtime. She gets to sleep on our bed when we're camping. Of course she wants to take her third in the middle, so we have to persuade her to share before we can crawl in. Sometimes she even wakes us with her snoring. In spite of this she is the best travel companion to have along.
Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote