Adding Rat fur in my remodel job. ( Need help ) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #1

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Adding Rat fur in my remodel job. ( Need help )

OK, so I've been restoring a Catalina 25 sailboat from the ground up with no problem ! At the same time, doing the same to my Perris Pacer and I got to say I'm a little nervous about the rat fur! Is there anyone in or around the Sacramento area who has ever done this? If so, I'd love to see how you did it. It's funny, I had no fear of working on the sailboat which is much bigger but this little trailer is another story! Thanks for any help you can give me!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	113234

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	113235
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
hanging ratfur

Monte my 40f bus has 1/2 foam glued to the ceiling and then naughyde. My seams are covered by thin strips of wood sort of like Scamper does it with theirs.

I have done some of it lots of the 3m spray glue. The ratfur lots lighter than naugahyde in my opinion. I would imagine its going to be a 2 man job. Have you looked at the original camper covering to get an idea I suppose it will go up in strips you will have some seams thus those strips of ratfur to cover them up.

If you are really picky maybe a headliner shop outfit!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

California
Registry
Ratfur help

Thanks for your input! I'm just now looking around! I think your right about it being a two man job! I've never been afraid of making mistakes! This is how we learn in life ! But this is the one thing i want to turn out perfect and if I could look at how someone else has done it, it would be a great help! This is going to be my dive home next year and I want nothing but the best for ( Das Cave ) her.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0054.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Missouri
still thinking

monte In thinking about my scamper I think they installed the rarfur from the floor to the ceiling to the other side in complete strips. this makes sense to me and I now see the need for the strips to cover up the seams.

I envision this stuff laid out and a roller of some sort used but who knows. here is an idea why don't you call Scamper and ask them I bet they will tell you.

From what I remember this rarfur is put on before cabinenets are anything is put up! I see it under cabinents and everywhere!
Old 10-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Scamp promotional video on their website has a short clip of the lining going in, and yes, it's before cabinets and windows are installed. I think the build segment starts around 6 minutes in.

I would recommend getting inside a Scamp and observe carefully how they lay out the pieces. They've had a long time to figure out how to do it efficiently with the fewest seams.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Monte,

I live in Sacramento and have a 2014 Scamp 16 with rat fur. You’re welcome to come look at it. However, we’re leaving on a trip tomorrow and won’t be back until November 11th. Send me a message if you’re interested.

Doug
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

California
Registry
Rat fur

Hi Gang, Thanks for your help! I did go to the Scamp video and at 10.34 into the video, the person typing , called the Scamp a Scam! LOL, even the pros make mistakes! I hope to have this done by May for an Abalone dive trip I'm going to put together on the North coast of California. Anyone care to make it is welcome ! The place is called Ocean Cove which is pictured below with my last egg trailer. Good food and good times.

All the best, Monte
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0475.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

Missouri
view

very nice view monte

bob
Old 10-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Being a boater with more confidence in marine situations you might want to go to youtube and watch the videos from the Sailright company. They do show installing methods in the video for "rat fur" types of overhead and sidewall lining materials in sailboats. Here is a link to their youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sailrite1/videos

Marine methods, auto installation methods, van conversions, travel trailers, they all use this type of product although of course it is not the only type of material that gets used for these applications.

Sailrite has a lot of useful videos for renovating travel trailers such as how to install headliners and how to sew your own upholstery for cushions or how to make a protective cover. They also sell useful products. I just ordered some awning track and Keder rope insert from them as I wanted it in the color black and they offer that color.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote