Age of fiberglass trailer owners? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Age group of the person responsable for the maint. and upkeep of your egg
20-30 12 5.08%
30-40 28 11.86%
40-50 37 15.68%
50-60 55 23.31%
60-70 77 32.63%
70 and up 27 11.44%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Washing and waxing... what's that? Never heard of it...

Eggs hold their value pretty well.

Maybe you two would enjoy a tiny pop-up trailer that you can tow with your motorcycle? That way you could do both simultaneously.
Now Mike, I'm sure you've read the "not poliglow - time will tell thread.

Eggs do depreciate when they are new. Then as new prices increase the older ones follow suit. Many of the old eggs here are worth more than they initially cost. But the dollar does not hold the same value.

Don't try to get them to go all the way to the Dark Side of trailers. There are fiberglass trailers that are made to be towed by motorcycles.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I think the younger demagraphic may need representation here. I am 36 and my wife is 40 our daughter is 9. we started off in a trillium 4500 when our daughter was born. we stupidly sold it for a trailer with a bathroom that was made if sticks. We have ordered a 19 ft escape and are really looking forward to having a egg again. these trailers are good for everyone of all ages imho.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #23

Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I'm only 18 - but I am very good at being 18, because I have had 42 years experience at being 18! Spouse is 7 years older'n me.

We basically use ours as a portable hotel room when we go to places/events that are not located where there are hotels. When traveling we prefer to take the car and stay in hotels. We are NOT campers - choosing between going camping at a state park/nat'l park etc vs staying home - we stay.

Consequently we want a BIG trailer so that we can have the comfort of a hotel room, and as a result our current one is a Bigfoot 21 footer.

Glass trailers are basically maintenance free. We owned a "stick built" which disintegrated in 4 years, so there is NO choice whatever to be made in that regard.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I've been using the RoadHippo/Casita since 2004 and a camper van, tent, or bed roll before that. Last month I reached 3 score and 10. (70)
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #25

Name: Rosemary & Glenn
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
British Columbia
Age and apprehension

30 years ago I had a 15' Trillium that we pulled all the way across Canada and back with a little 4 cylinder Toyota pickup. It was great but we didn't do much else after that and sold it while we did other things like working, having a kid & a dog, getting divorced etc. My highschool sweetheart found me in 2005 after 35 years apart and we are now inseparable. We're both 58 and looking for a comfy trailer, hoping that with retirement coming we will use it alot. We had a Harley Road King and pulled a lovely fiberglass tent trailer (Lees-ure Lite) with it but realized we are fair weather riders/campers and didn't use it as much as we thought we might - cold, rain & lack of security in a tent being the main drawback.Getting a little older I am not as comfortable for long distances on the back of a bike as I used to be and want more creature comforts. Looking for a trailer now I had the same fears as your wife, especially since the Trillium and the Lees-ure Lite didn't get as much use as I'd hoped. Then we saw a 19' Escape and fell in love! We now have a Ford F150 4.2L V6 that we can carry the Kawasaki Concours in the back of as we tow the Escape (hoping to purchase soon.) So if it's nice we can do day tours with the bike; if it rains we'll be cozy & dry, and aren't limited to summer months. Best of all worlds!

BTW - we are ready to part with the Lees-ure Lite if anyone is interested.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
The wife is 46 and I'm 53, though she says I act like I'm 12 most of the time. We love our 13' scamp and find we don't worry about the weather like when we were in the tent. In fact, I like the sound of the rain on the roof when going to sleep and know I'll be dry in the morning.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #27

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I Just turned 69 YO i have a 2,000 Casita Patriot & camp alone now,this year mostly stayed closer to home,i'm loosing interest,health is fine---just not fun any more alone.I can camp at home in my Field "free"
sparky1 in southern, Va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #28

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I am a 'senior' woman, who will be 70 next year. <_< I also ride a m'cycle, solo. And have for many years. Nothing I love to do more than to load the bike, tent, sleepingroll, the cooking gear and a few extra clothes and head off......somewhere, anywhere.

I ridden from coast to coast in Canada and the USA, camping with a tent all the way. Loved it!

As long as you can do it, do it!!

But if and when it gets alittle harder to endure long rides and cold/hot temps in your persuit of adventure, towing a comfortable, little travel trailer on your next sight-seeing tour will give your own, comfortable bed at the end of the busy day....at a reasonable price.

Just keep in mind, the whole reason for touring with a TT is not to see how many miles you can do in a day, or to visit every HD dealership in every city you pass through. ( I've travelled with Harley riders)
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I am pretty sure some of the best sleep i have ever had is with the sound of rain on the fiberglass roof, the best white noise ever !!
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #30

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm 41, I definitely have the impression I'm one of the younger ones on here. I don't think your use will have much to do with your age. If you're going to use the trailer, you're going to use it. Do you (and your wife!!) enjoying being in and around it is the big question. I LOVE my Scamp. From going places to just having a cozy little hangout space anywhere I am.

Maintenance I'd say probably varies a lot depending on the trailer and the conditions it sees. My 2001 was in nice shape when I got it last fall, but I'm doing it's first serious maintenance since I got it and boy there's a lot of little things to do. But I can be meticulous as well.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I'm 42 and Hubby is 44 so I'm glad to read all the posts about wishing they'd started 20 or 30 yrs ago. Looks like we made a good decision to start younger.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #32

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I'm 42 and Hubby is 44 so I'm glad to read all the posts about wishing they'd started 20 or 30 yrs ago. Looks like we made a good decision to start younger.
Yep, but I still wish I had started earlier! (And that goes for many things in life.)
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #33

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I bought my '83 Burro within a couple of weeks of my 62nd birthday. I camp in it by myself, mostly at various shooting events such as North-South Skirmish Association and American Single Shot Rifle Association. I for one have the time to use it now that I am retired and feel like I am getting full value from it. The only drawback for me is the major increase in gas consumption when I use it!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #34

Name: Jimnval
Trailer: 76 Trillium
Ontario
I'm 59 and my wife is 57,we have been riding our 64 panhead since 78 till we got smoked in 08 leaving port dover friday the 13, buddy did a u turn in front of us, sturgis twice, daytona 3 times ,east coast once. We are also hotroders for most of our lives so we kinda downsized, sold the 48 ford, bought a 72 bug for val,she always wanted one and I still have the 31 chev {600 hp blower} so we went and bought a 76 trillium in great shape no regrets and good times, go for it, you only live once,I know!!!!
Tipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #35

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
The saga....backpacked in my late teens and into my 20's when camping gear was from army surplus stores. Then a couple of VW campers during my 30's plus backpacking. (all in the SW). Then a drastic move to Northern New England for 14 years so it was tent camping along the Maine coast. Then....a yearning for year round sunshine and snow at a visual distance so a year long move back to the southwest....in my mid-40's....with an 86 (or in that general range....time has gone by so fast) Toyota Sunrader....one year later, 25,000 miles later.....a job in New Mexico, 2 donkey's, a horse, and a mule. Then for my 55th birthday, a trip into the mountains for a mule rally, sleeping in a tent on the ground which gave me the idea that i wasn't that young. Then in my mid-50', a farm in Missouri and lots of moteling which got rather boring. Then in my late 60's the idea of something practical like an "egg" finally took shape. On my year-long wanderings I came across a couple of eggs and they always stayed in my mind. Now the Scamp is used here and there for short trips, during lambing season, as a guest house. When I finally do retire, hope to have the energy to get a 16 footer and take off for several months....but first have to decide to move off the farm and into town so there are fewer responsibilities.

Maintenance? wash and wax, once or twice a year....unpack food, clothing, sweep floor, winterize, dust, do something with wheel bearings once a year...the shop knows what to do, give tours of the "egg" both at home and away, practice backing up at home along with practicing aiming the truck to the front of the trailer and getting the ball and the hitch on the same wave length.

Go for it.....one never knows what's around the next bend in life!
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #36

Name: Jimnval
Trailer: 76 Trillium
Ontario
Forgot to mention it's to hot to even ride today, over 100, this afternoon.
Tipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #37

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'll be 76 in a couple of weeks. Wife will be 73 in a couple of months. We've been travelling/camping since 1964. During that time we've had every kind of camping vehicle there is EXCEPT a motorhome. We've also tented and backpacked. We're now ate the age where we love our little fiberglass tent on wheels.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Are you thinking that only old people own fiber glass or rv's in general?

Personally, my mind say's Zumba , but my 52 year old body say's, What the hell are you thinking?

And though I am of your age group, I have owned rv's since my mid 20's. Wouldn't be without one! Been able to enjoy many a breathtaking sight (as you probably have on your bike) but difference is I had my bed with me, as well as my bathroom and any thing else I wanted to take along....

The thing you will have to do is find what rv/glass egg works for you and your wifes needs....... Good Luck and enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I am 52 and my son who co-owns my Boler is 27. He does use it alot more then I do. I find alot more younger people are finding out the advantages of our little trailers and are getting into full customs. I have seen some real nice customised campers owned by some young people. I think the question should be, will you get enough use out of the trailer if you buy it. I dont think age has anything to do with decideing if you want one or not. Get out there and enjoy the great outdoors.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #40

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Interesting Rick,
I know that Jean L family has 3 generations owning bolers. His dad, him and his brother, and now his daughter. Seems that they suit young and old alike. That is evident when one hits a meet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote