Age of fiberglass trailer owners? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Age group of the person responsable for the maint. and upkeep of your egg
20-30 12 5.08%
30-40 28 11.86%
40-50 37 15.68%
50-60 55 23.31%
60-70 77 32.63%
70 and up 27 11.44%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #61

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Old enough to know better
But still young enough to try
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #62

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
I noticed today that both Casita and Scamp have ads in AARP Magazine....
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #63

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'll soon be 61 myself and we have towed our Scamp about 60000 miles over the last eight years,and about 300 nights.

What is that appliance up there?

If you don't mind me asking...
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #64

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I just bought my burro this year - I'm 65 and cannot figure out why I waited so long. I'm having a great time! Hubby was not enthusiastic about the purchase, but he is enjoying the experience almost as much as I am!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #65

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Manitoba
I'm 27, and my wife is 24. Before our son was born we tented. We also had a minor bear incident which made my wife a little uncomfortable with tenting. This is our first year camping with the boler, and besides rigging up a portable air conditioning unit during a heat wave on our camping trip last week, everything's been great. Our 19 month old loves camping, and we like the coziness, the ease of towing and the looks our boler gets when we pull in to the campground.
Zeppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #66

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm curious, the younger folks, no where near traditional RV age/retirement age, how did you all get the idea?

My grandpa had an Airstream I loved as a kid and my god parents had a VW Westfalia I also was totally into as a kid. I was doing a lot of car camping last summer and passed a Casita for sale and something just clicked.

Did you have family into RVing?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #67

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Microwave

Dylan, it's Floyd's Microwave. Think it's a Sharp. Nice cubed shape. Too bad they dont make them anymore as they take up less space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post

What is that appliance up there?

If you don't mind me asking...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #68

Name: Brian
Trailer: 72 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Registry
Ages 36, 35 and our 11 year old daughter. We love our little egg!
Brian E Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Our Story

Go for it! Look at posting #14:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-52531.html

I'm 70 and my wife is an appropriate age in relation to that.

We returned Thursday, July 5 from an 18 day trip to the Kootenays.

I have to say that we are using Homelet even more than I envisioned when we purchased her.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #70

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I'm curious, the younger folks, no where near traditional RV age/retirement age, how did you all get the idea?

My grandpa had an Airstream I loved as a kid and my god parents had a VW Westfalia I also was totally into as a kid. I was doing a lot of car camping last summer and passed a Casita for sale and something just clicked.

Did you have family into RVing?
I had never experienced RV stuff as a kid at all, nor really as an adult until recently, though I was always intrigued by the vintage canned hams. Almost 2 years ago I did a walking trip across the state of Pennsylvania and two of my overnight hosts put me up in their RVs, which they used as guest rooms, sort of. One actually was the living quarters section of a big horse trailer, and the other was a traditional rather long stick-type trailer. Having slept on some barn floors (was also traveling with a pack horse) and out in the woods during the trip, I had the BEST TIME with my first RV experience. I immediately started trying to figure out what my Subaru could pull, and before I really had time to think this over I was driving to Minneapolis to pick up my Burro, exactly one month after I finished the cross-PA walk.

Now, if I can manage to rebuild and jam the windows back into it next weekend, I'll actually start using it again!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #71

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
camp comforts

I am 52, I usually tent camped but the little egg makes boonie camping easy!
Attached Thumbnails
_2.jpg  
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #72
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: My Pod by Little Guy
Arizona
I just learned that I'm able to add a poll to this thread and I've done that.

I just want to thank everybody for their replys. The wife and I have been reading them together. I think we're closer to pulling the trigger and taking the plunge, thanks to all these replys.

JC
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #73

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Sharp Half Pint Microwave:
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Half-Pin...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

No longer available except occasional used ones on ebay or such.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-HALF-P...05%26rk%3D2%26

Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #74

Trailer: 2007 Casita
JC, Great idea to add the poll. But wonder if the poll will give you the wrong impression of who/why people own a fiberglass travel trailer? Hope not!

I do believe that the majority of the members here are older.

But I can assure you it doesn't mean fiberglass travel trailer owners are old. I see many young people traveling with them. Many of the people have chased me down along my travels tend to be on the younger side. Don't get a lot of geriatric tours. More of young professionals wanting to camp, but due to demographics, lifestyle, financial commitment, etc need to keep their camping units small and managable.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #75

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
JC, Great idea to add the poll. But wonder if the poll will give you the wrong impression of who/why people own a fiberglass travel trailer? Hope not!
At the time of this posting there are only 18 responses. The results do not appear to match Fredericks bell curve. I wonder if the results will differ for old and new. Perhaps we can get Reace to pipe in once there are more results.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #76
JCZ

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post

I do believe that the majority of the members here are older.

But I can assure you it doesn't mean fiberglass travel trailer owners are old. I see many young people traveling with them. Many of the people have chased me down along my travels tend to be on the younger side. Don't get a lot of geriatric tours. More of young professionals wanting to camp, but due to demographics, lifestyle, financial commitment, etc need to keep their camping units small and managable.

My interest in the age poll.....is more just curiosity at this point. However, the reason for my original post of this thread was to put my wife's concerns to rest. And that is......are we at the age where we may think that we'd use the trailer enough to make it worth the investment (however big or small that may be) or, would it end up like the boats, we enjoy them while we're out there but the effort and work it took to get the boat out of storage, load it up......take it to a lake or the delta, put it in the water and then do all of that in reverse at the end of the day (or the weekend if we slept on it for a night or two).

So, in short......I just want to show her that the maint. and upkeep is so minimal in compariso to a boat that many, many people are age and many older than us are traveling and trailering with an egg on a regular basis because they are so relatively easy to use and maintain.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is it more than I'm considering?

I know that "trailering" would be considerably different than motorcycling. Notice I don't use the word "camping" because more often than not, the next day we'd be moving on.....traveling. That may (and I hope would) change for us dramatically, once we do retire but that's down the road at least another five years.

Although we ride seperate bikes, we do have wireless intercom and bluetooth to our helmets so we're able to carry on quite lengthy convesations and even take phone calls or make them (although we rarely do that) and so we share in that unlike most motorcyclists. Other couples have shared with us "no, we don't want the intercom......we enjoy the long periods of peace and quiet while riding. Terrie and I value that we're able to share as we ride......things we see, sites, vistas, views and........animals, etc. The same things when we're up in the moutains off roading in our 4x4, twenty five miles from the closest asphalt, like we did today.

I can't help but think it would be similar, in that aspect, being in the truck, pulling our little trailer. Stopping for the evening just about where ever we want (little camp grounds and rv parks all over this country) and even dry camping on a cliff over looking the ocean on Hwy. 1 or somewhere in the Colorado rockies next to a river, just for the evening (we saw it at the head waters to the Rio Grande, just north of Creede, Colo. near Slumgullion Pass last month.....we both were in envy).

Tell me my dreams are a possability and that we're not to old.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #77
JCZ

Arizona
I just looked at the poll. It appears that my suspcions are comfirmed.....that we're not to old to start traveling via the mobil hotel room aka an egg trailer.

The two leading age groups 50-60 and 60-70 are the high count on this poll.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #78

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
Tell me my dreams are a possability and that we're not to old.

Your not toooooooo Old! Just realize that you may find a place you want to spend more than a day at...............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #79

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Registry
natural progression

We (I am 35, my wife is 34) started camping by accident. We were on our way to a family reunion and decided to stay in a tent for one night about 5 miles away instead of an expensive hotel. The tent was TINY but we had a good time. We decided we wanted to do more camping so we moved up to a larger tent (7 person tent for 2 people). The next thing you know we had power strips, computers, speakers, and way too many toys for a tent. We moved up to a tent for 9 people that had separate rooms. Setting that thing up took WAY too long and it was awful when it rained.

I decided that I wanted a tear drop camper but my wife hated the idea. My car could only tow 2000lbs and my wife discovered the boler. We searched and searched and ended up finding a 1974 Eco (boler clone). We bought it and rehabbed it ourselves. It was great fun for 2 years but now we decided we need a real queen sized bed and a bathroom so we sold our baby last month and we pick up our Lil Snoozy in 12 days.
Kenneth.Pangburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #80

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Hi. I am 63 years young and do the work on my camper myself. Have been enjoying the outdoors all my life. backpacked, tent camped, pop-up. now the Uhaul Ct13 because I want to be comfortable while winter time camping. Like the ability to go anywhere in this little baby. Plan to continue as long as I can....Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote