Age of fiberglass trailer owners? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Age group of the person responsable for the maint. and upkeep of your egg
20-30 12 5.08%
30-40 28 11.86%
40-50 37 15.68%
50-60 55 23.31%
60-70 77 32.63%
70 and up 27 11.44%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #81

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
lodging costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'll soon be 61 myself and we have towed our Scamp about 60000 miles over the last eight years,and about 300 nights. We have have attended many ScampCamps and fiberglass rallies and many times we are the youngsters in the group. Many of our fellow campers are well into their 70's and still travel and camp extensively. You are the right age to meet many new friends with common interests and seek many new adventures with the easy to tow and user friendly Fiberglass trailer of your choice.
We don't actually own a "Camper".... Our 13D Scamp is a "Travel Trailer" which is easier, cheaper,and more comfortable than a motel.
We have averaged less than $8 a night for lodging and our trailer is still worth most of it's purchase price.
We have not got our average lodging cost down to 8 bucks per night but were trying . We used to go for weekend trips and buy all our meals and drinks at restaurants ,spending $200.00 for food and drink was normal. Now traveling with our SCAMP we can go for a full week and not spend $200.00 on food and drinks . You will make better friends at a campfire than you will in a bar.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #82

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The age stats may be skewed by the fact that many folks can't afford a trailer until they hit a later age. We never could afford one till the kids were grown. To those of you who are younger, with tykes, and with enough money... count your blessings! I would have started earlier if I could have, so don't be afraid to start early yourself.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #83

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Im 54 girl friend 52
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #84

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee
The age stats may be skewed by the fact that many folks can't afford a trailer until they hit a later age. We never could afford one till the kids were grown. To those of you who are younger, with tykes, and with enough money... count your blessings! I would have started earlier if I could have, so don't be afraid to start early yourself.
We decided to skip having kids and spend the money on ourselves.
Kenneth.Pangburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #85

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm not sure I like the way the graph is reading right now. It is a straight line increase up to 70 then it drops off. That means we either give up camping after 70 or our eggs are dangerous to our health.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #86

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
We are 40 and 39, going on 65 I guess since we just started scamping. Y'all are old! So you must be smart. I can't wait to meet you!

Matt & Kat
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #87

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm not sure I like the way the graph is reading right now. It is a straight line increase up to 70 then it drops off. That means we either give up camping after 70 or our eggs are dangerous to our health.

Actually, using them causes premature aging......

As an example, as I said earlier, I'm only 18, but I am retired and collecting "fogey pogey" already!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #88

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:

I think some of that drop off may be internet related, 70+ is not a demographic one would expect to be widely engaged in online forums.

A lot of folks settle into a camper or motorhome before retirement and then continue to use it until they no longer wish to continue camping. Campers 70+ are a modest sized subset of all people camping. The FG egg owners are a fairly small segment of the overall market. So your only going to see the overlap of three small subsets in that poll.

To the original question of will you use it, and how much work is it? Wife and I face the same question, we have a fairly basic Scamp 13 ft. So not having amenities like bath and shower makes it a little less usable, but a lot less to maintain.

In the spring clean, test for leaks, grease/check wheel bearings, in the fall drain water (or fill with rv anti-freeze) and park. Leave gear in it over the summer so all we have to do is throw some food and clothes in to go camping. Take food and clothes out when we get home. Easy Peasy.

One really nice thing about the FG eggs is they do hold value well, and allow room for some sweat equity. If you don't use it you can probably get more of your investment back on resale than you would from most campers. If you invest the time to fix one up or to add features yourself there is a fair chance to recoup much of your investment. Or at least more than I would expect from repairing a pop-up camper.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #89

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought our Egg Camper when I was a few months shy of 75 and my wife was a few months shy of 72. That was spring of 2011. We plan on continuing to use ours as long as our bodies allow it. Based on our condition today that could be 10 years (and hopefully more). I visit this site several times a day, have attended one ralley, planning on another in August and another in September.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #90

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We bought our Egg Camper when I was a few months shy of 75 and my wife was a few months shy of 72. That was spring of 2011. We plan on continuing to use ours as long as our bodies allow it. Based on our condition today that could be 10 years (and hopefully more). I visit this site several times a day, have attended one ralley, planning on another in August and another in September.
Best of luck with continued camping, my parents owned and used a camper into their 80's and even after they sold the rig they would come on camping trips with family, just bunked in their rigs. None of the maint. and all of the fun
Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #91

Name: Ken
Trailer: Boler 13'
British Columbia
Our egg

I am 67 and my wife is younger. We have a Boler and this August we are going across Canada to Newfoundland from BC and back through the US, about 13,000 kms.

I recommend Vertglas to keep the exterior sparkling with little annual maintenance.http://www.vertglas.com/index.html

The only other regular maintenance is to keep your wheel bearings packed. Probably once every two or three years.

Good luck!
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #92

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

From my observations, many of the over 70 crowd buy and use the larger more expensive rigs. Airstream Sprinters seem to be more common than fiberglass among those over 70. They're out there playing, just not in fiberglass, with exceptions. 70 and still going strong in our 13' Scamp.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #93

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think some of that drop off may be internet related, 70+ is not a demographic one would expect to be widely engaged in online forums.

A lot of folks settle into a camper or motorhome before retirement and then continue to use it until they no longer wish to continue camping. Campers 70+ are a modest sized subset of all people camping. The FG egg owners are a fairly small segment of the overall market. So your only going to see the overlap of three small subsets in that poll.

To the original question of will you use it, and how much work is it? Wife and I face the same question, we have a fairly basic Scamp 13 ft. So not having amenities like bath and shower makes it a little less usable, but a lot less to maintain.

In the spring clean, test for leaks, grease/check wheel bearings, in the fall drain water (or fill with rv anti-freeze) and park. Leave gear in it over the summer so all we have to do is throw some food and clothes in to go camping. Take food and clothes out when we get home. Easy Peasy.

One really nice thing about the FG eggs is they do hold value well, and allow room for some sweat equity. If you don't use it you can probably get more of your investment back on resale than you would from most campers. If you invest the time to fix one up or to add features yourself there is a fair chance to recoup much of your investment. Or at least more than I would expect from repairing a pop-up camper.
One of the beauties of having a trailer, even a 13', is to escape the cold and wet in Jan-March or earlier. We head for the sunny south in January, stick around for the kids and Christmas, then it's off to the sunny south for about 3 months. See lots of people from Michigan along the way. Maybe you should consider it, saves on winterizing.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #94

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One of the beauties of having a trailer, even a 13', is to escape the cold and wet in Jan-March or earlier. We head for the sunny south in January, stick around for the kids and Christmas, then it's off to the sunny south for about 3 months. See lots of people from Michigan along the way. Maybe you should consider it, saves on winterizing.
What and give up my mesquito free winter tent camping? Surely you jest! And campfires! Nice in July but really appreciated in Feb. Plus you don't sweat as much when cutting firewood. Why it's almost perfect.

Of course packing a frozen tent is a little bit of a challenge but you have to take the good with the bad.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #95

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
What and give up my mesquito free winter tent camping? Surely you jest! And campfires! Nice in July but really appreciated in Feb. Plus you don't sweat as much when cutting firewood. Why it's almost perfect.

Of course packing a frozen tent is a little bit of a challenge but you have to take the good with the bad.
Mosquitoes in Death Valley?? Mosquitoes in Quartszite, AZ?? Freezing temperatures in Death Valley?? Freezing Temperatures in southern AZ?? I think I'll continue to head south for the winter.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #96

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
I am so disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about an upcoming "Age of Fiberglass Trailer Owners", sort of like the Bronze Age or the Stone Age.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #97

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindraak View Post
I am so disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about an upcoming "Age of Fiberglass Trailer Owners", sort of like the Bronze Age or the Stone Age.
Would totally confuse anthropologist and historians, Age of FG is retro movement and a renaissance at the same time, Wonder what a pirate archaeologist will get for a Bargman L-400 latch in a few hundred years?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #98

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
You mentioned camping next to a Colorado river. Sort of like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	East Fork campsite.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	48799

I was there last summer. Yes, it is nice to hear that stream rushing over the rocks only a dozen feet from your trailer.

If you buy a new trailer, upkeep is very minimal. The older it is, the more likely you are to find things that need repairs. Seals around windows and vents can age, appliances can break down, etc. I don't think trailers are quite as bad as boats (a hole in the water you throw money into, they say) but trailers get bounced and jiggled a lot and have moving parts and stuff that can wear out. That's why I bought something brand new last year; I'll probably keep it 5 to 10 years, then sell it (before it becomes problematic) and get a different new one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #99

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindraak View Post
I had visions of the 5th Dimension singing:
"This is the Dawning of the Age of the Fiberglass,
Age of the Fiberglass
The Fiberglass....

BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #100

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Illinois
Began reading thread (did not make it through all 6 pages) and must represent the, I suppose, youngins. We will both be turning 30 this year. As die-hard tent campers for the beginning of our lives, this if the next best thing. My fiance and his family are all well about the biker background ("its in the blood"). He sold his bike so that we, as a family, could have something to experience together. (We now have a 5 year old son and a dog). Someday he plans to get another bike, but thats a story for another day. (Let me add that HE chose to sell his bike, I had no part in that, I made sure of it. I understand the love). With ALL of that said, I don't think there will be a very long span of time that we aren't fiberglass rv (travel trailer) owners now. This forum proves that in itself. I am glad that there are so many people here to draw wisdom from. They have clearly found something that most others don't and I feel lucky to have found it this early in life.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote