AGM in a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: nuCamp
Alabama
AGM in a Scamp

Has any Scamp owner put an AGM battery in the inside back location just like the Casita owners have there’s? I would like to take the 60+lbs off the tongue. Wondering how hard it would be to relocate the wires. Thanks for any insight. I’ve also seen on YouTube a Scamp with 4 brake lights. Is this one of those unknown options? And why would you want 4? Also, the Scamp store offers alloy wheels for the Scamp. Is this also another unknown option?

Bill
Billpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
More brake lights = more visibility to other drivers, always a good thing! We have the upper brake light option on our Escape, night and day difference from the standard lights.

Another battery to consider if you are going to change is one of the lithium iron models. Yes, they are not cheap! But they are super light weight, no venting required, can be mounted in any orientation (on their sides, upside down, whatever). They claim a 10X lifespan, and you can use almost 100% of the battery's capacity, versus 50% of a traditional battery.

I am not endorsing these batteries. I would do a google search on them, as I see them discussed on many different RV forums. If it truly lasts 10 times as long, the price is actually very reasonable.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/?gcl...SAAEgIpbvD_BwE
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp will install a second, high mounted set of taillights on the 16' and 19' models. Not sure whether it's on their current build sheet, and I have no idea why they won't do it on the 13' models. Three reasons: (1) if you carry bicycles, they often partially obscure the lower taillights, (2) in close traffic, a vehicle close behind you may not be able to see the lower set because they are so low, and (3) better general visibility at night.

First I've heard of alloy wheels through Scamp. I'm not seeing it on their website.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I highly recommend the Scamp second set of tail lights or something similar. The stock ones are low (and not real bright) and can be hidden be a vehicle following you closely, or not seen by that driver at times. Higher lights are safer and are used on most other vehicles. Rear end collisions are the most common type of crash and higher tail / brake lights help to prevent them. The lights are $95 at build time but apparently not available on the 13 for no reason that I can fathom.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Several years ago I collected info. on fiberglass trailer crashes. Scamp trailers are more prone to be rear ended than other fiberglass trailers. The pre 1996 or so with top hat tail lights are really dim and hard to see. A third higher LED brake light (owner installed) or dual brake lights (factory installed) is a good safety investment on a Scamp.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Alabama
If this is such a safety issue, why don’t they offer it on the 13’. I’ll have to call Scamp and find out why. This should not be an option, but included in all sales.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #7

Alabama
You can see two options for rims in this video, along with 4 tail lights.

https://youtu.be/s-qvd74DHn0
Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #8

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
second set of lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpq View Post
If this is such a safety issue, why don’t they offer it on the 13’. I’ll have to call Scamp and find out why. This should not be an option, but included in all sales.
When we had our 13' built, we attempted to order the second set of lights. According to Scamp, the shape of the 13 footer does not allow proper placement of the lights and that is why that option is not offered.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My 1999 13foot has the extra set of tail lights. I bet they would put them on if you asked. Would be a potential deal killer for me if they wouldn't. One set of the standard, dim lights is inadequate in my opinion.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Has any Scamp owner put an AGM battery in the inside back location just like the Casita owners have there’s? I would like to take the 60+lbs off the tongue. Wondering how hard it would be to relocate the wires. Thanks for any insight. I’ve also seen on YouTube a Scamp with 4 brake lights. Is this one of those unknown options? And why would you want 4? Also, the Scamp store offers alloy wheels for the Scamp. Is this also another unknown option?

Bill
While the upper taillights make sense, I'd be concerned about the battery move. Even a light carrier on the back of a Scamp can lead to problems with sway due to low tongue weight. Moving that much weight from the front to the back may lead to stability problems.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Yes perhaps the big square light fixtures don't fit so well...
See if you can get them to run the wiring and leave it behind the rat fur, under the rear window, like they do for the A/C pre-wire. That will make it easy for you to add some small LED lights on your own.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #12

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
Mount two of these inside your back window. Connect the wires to your turn signal/brake light/ground wires. Problem solved!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-2...JXhyPm&vxp=mtr
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
william looking

William thanks for the tip on the lights I think with our high mattress I can just hook the lines on the inside and go for it.

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp