Air Conditioning a MUST? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #81

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Well, I agree, down south in summer I would definitely want some type of functional air conditioning. Here at home in Michigan, I did use a window air conditioner for about half the day today, was in the upper 80's and humid. I wasn't terribly uncomfortable before turning it on, but it did feel better with it.

I do a lot of backpacking, even in very hot weather - no air conditioning out there, so I do tolerate the heat ok. Here at home a couple of good fans keep me reasonably comfortable, even for sleeping, but I do enjoy having the AC occasionally.

My concern in asking the original question was that the trailer, I assume, heats up and becomes very stuffy when it's hot, humid, and still. The trailer I'm considering has neither AC or power fan, so something will have to be installed, probably a power fan initially. Beyond that, if I find I want AC, I will bite the bullet and choose one of the options folks have discussed on this thread. The Dog coolers and the mini-split options look most appealing right now, or for cheaper option, a 5000 or 8000 BTU window unit. Will cross that bridge if I need to, when I get there.

Thanks for all the thoughts and discussion of options to consider.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #82

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yeah, but I suspect their ratings are based upon typical home insulation R values. A 5000 BTU in my former KZ trailer (14' x 7' box) was woefully inadequate when outside temps were in upper 90s or above. (Being boxy, it lacked the roundedness of an egg and sat a bit higher, thus more volume.)
Actually, their sizing tool has a selector for insulation value -- Good, Fair, Poor, None. All the numbers I looked at were for Insulation None, and Full Sun. If your KZ had a window shaker, it was probably not breathing adequately. 5000 BTU should be ample for a trailer that size, except when using the stovetop.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #83

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I don't know how anyone can survive in that Ungodly heat and humidity but they have my admiration.

I thought so too Steve. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains, where heat and humidity were alien concepts. My idea of good weather was anything above freezing (or sometimes below it if I was going to ski or be active in some other way).

I "moved" south when I joined the military, and for the most part, have lived where it's hot and humid my entire adult life. It took about 2 or 3 years, then I "settled in" as I call it.

When I go back to my hometown area on very rare occasions, especially in the winter, I am shocked at how cold and miserable I am.

Bottom line, your body adjusts. It takes quite a bit of time to fully climatize and accept it as a norm, whether the change is from cold/dry to hot/humid or vice versa.

I really don't notice it anymore when it's a hot sunny day in South Texas, because that's been the norm for so many years. Having said that, I do admit I would not go camping in my trailer without A/C during that time. I have summer camped here in a tent many times, and thus my trailer's name: Past Tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #84

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
I have a PlaCool ceiling mount in my Boler but it is not hooked up. I'd love to have it working but probably a PITA
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #85

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
How much time will you / do you spend outside? For me this is the most important factor in the debate. I work outdoors and have lived in Texas and New England. Both places I worked outside all day, the heating and cooling costs have been very low because when I come home I don’t want to experience a huge change in temperature. That being said, AC currently is a blessing or should I say addiction...
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #86

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
it has started me thinking about some sort of tiny unit that could cool the bed area with a heavy curtain drawn, sweating all night is no fun.
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #87

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The "Tiny Unit" is sorta the holy grail of RV ac units. Let us know if you find one.
BTW: AC units and power hook ups are usually mandatory pairings. Sorta like white wine & fish. lololol

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #88

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The "Tiny Unit" is sorta the holy grail of RV ac units. Let us know if you find one.
BTW: AC units and power hook ups are usually mandatory pairings. Sorta like white wine & fish. lololol
Old school AC "tiny unit" = small fan blowing past a block of ice!
(12V fan will do, drip pan strongly recommended!)
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #89

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Swamp cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
it has started me thinking about some sort of tiny unit that could cool the bed area with a heavy curtain drawn, sweating all night is no fun.
You can make a swamp cooler for under $50 that uses evaporative cooling. I made one that can blow into a "bed tent" that is only about thirty cubic feet for desert camping. All it needs is 12 volts to run a tiny circulation pump and air blower. Don't even think about trying one unless you are in the desert and the humidity is less than 30% or so.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #90

Name: paisley
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
A question or two on Air Conditioning.

How many folks find an air conditioner a must have? How many folks consider it a luxury? How many fore go one all together?

My intent is to travel year round, but not necessarily in the south during the summer. At home here in lower Michigan I have a couple of window air conditioners, but, to be honest, don't remember turning them on in the past couple of years. Other years I have generally used them a few times each summer.

Several folks I've spoken to have told me that they have never used their installed air conditioner in their trailer except to test whether it works or not.

Has anyone ever tried one of the free standing portable air conditioners that vent out a window for occasional use?

The reason I ask, is that I have a possible opportunity to purchase a lightly used, late model Scamp later this fall, but it has no air conditioning, and no power fan - just a large roof vent. If I ordered new, I would include air conditioning and a power fan.

I'm not sure if the Scamp has the necessary reinforcement in the roof to add the AC unit, and, having perused the thread on adding a closet mounted air conditioner after the fact, I don't believe that I would like to go through that hassle. I'm not much of a "do-it-yourselfer" for major projects.

Opinions on options requested. Will I regret not having these based on your experience?
No, I don't think they are luxury goods. When I decided to travel by RV, I got one. We only use it in hot areas. It has a small footprint and cools the entire car in about five minutes. At night, the sound of its operation did not affect our sleep. And I chose the unit with the evaporation system, without the trouble of hose connection. My portable is LG, and my friend said that Honeywell is also good.
Aaronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:00 AM   #91

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Welcome to FGRV!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #92

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Air Conditioning a MUST?

Y’all do know this thread is five years old?

No harm in adding your own general thoughts or particular solutions relating to RV air conditioning for newcomers that might find it in a search, but no recent questions have been posed, and I’m reasonably sure Lyle has figured it out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #93

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you want to easily sell the camper then invest in the A/C. If you travel in the south then A/C.
Personally I was renovating an old 16' Scamp and needed an A/C in Mobile, AL. and the roof would not support one without reinforcement so I looked for alternatives like window units.
When we bought the old, broke down unit it had a 8,000 BTU unit "installed" and it was not adequate and looked like the devil as well as was not well done.
I ended up putting a mini-split heat pump unit in with the compressor on the extended tongue and the air handler across the back with hard lines connecting them along the back of the overhead cabinets.
This took care of both heating and air conditioning and distributed the weight fore and aft and much lower than the roof mount.
Personally no A/C is a non starter for us and the Mini-split is much quieter than any roof mount I have seen.
These Fiberglass trailers seem to last forever if kept leak free (including water from A/C condensation and access cover leaks).
If you don't use the A/C then that is OK, but down here the heat and humidity make life miserable.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #94

Arizona
Registry
Air Conditioning a MUST?

I would say that in general, anywhere east of the Rockies, AC is important and lack of it an obstacle to resale.

However that is less true in the West. It is not a problem out here to sell a trailer without AC, especially a smaller one.

If I didn’t require AC, but wanted to keep options open, I would reinforce and wire for AC but not cut the hole (or install a vent, since they use the same 14x14 hole). Then a future AC install is easy, for yourself if your needs change or for a future owner. Scamp will build a trailer that way if requested.

No point in carrying around an AC you’re not using just for someone else in the future. Better to get a brand new one when you actually need it.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #95

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I have only used mine a couple times in the three years we have had it. Once was because the neighbors were to noisy so I closed all the windows and turned it on. I drowned out all the noise and let me sleep.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #96

Florida
I guess air conditioning is only a must if you think it is.
Personally I think is is where I live and the uses I put my camper to.
I often use it as a mobile motel room I carry with us and basically I would not like a motel room with no A/C, 13', 16' or 40'.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #97

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I don't think it is a must but I live in Minnesota, not Florida.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #98

Arizona
Registry
Location, intended use, personal preference.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #99

Florida
And there is the answer for you guys!
Old 04-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #100

Arizona
Registry