Air Conditioning a MUST? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #101

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...to the question no one was asking!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 PM   #102

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Air conditioning is only good if spend time in RV resorts where pay a lot for electricty

I bought a "constant breeze" 12 volt fan about 23 years ago. I've used it maybe 3 times. I would never use an A/C

to some it's a necessitity to others it's a burden. In the end you'll have to decide for yourself.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #103

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I wonder if the OP from 5 years ago, Lyle, ever got the air conditioner, it looks like he's on his second Scamp since the question was raised.

Our Scamp is the first one we had air conditioning in. Most of our previous campers were pop-ups and we lived in NE and NM back then, and the pop-ups are good for wide screened openings to allow the breeze in when needed.

Our only previous hard sided camper was when we were in England, no A/C, but it did have propane operated lights inside with the mantels like you see on Coleman lanterns.

Now that we live in GA and do a lot of our camping where the heat and humidity are high, we find the A/C a very valuable asset. Most state parks have electric hookups down here. It's not the heat that we can't tolerate so much as it's the humidity down here. You get hot and sweaty just laying in bed overnight with no chance for evaporative cooling. Miserable. Air conditioning lets us maintain comfort in those situations.

Last year when we camped at Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND, and it hit 106 degrees during the daytime, we did not have electric hookups for the A/C. Wasn't a problem because in drier climates the temperatures seem to drop quite a bit overnight, and there was very little humidity.

It all depends on where you plan to camp, and what your comfort preferences are.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #104

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I wonder if the OP from 5 years ago, Lyle, ever got the air conditioner, it looks like he's on his second Scamp since the question was raised.

Our Scamp is the first one we had air conditioning in. Most of our previous campers were pop-ups and we lived in NE and NM back then, and the pop-ups are good for wide screened openings to allow the breeze in when needed.

Our only previous hard sided camper was when we were in England, no A/C, but it did have propane operated lights inside with the mantels like you see on Coleman lanterns.

Now that we live in GA and do a lot of our camping where the heat and humidity are high, we find the A/C a very valuable asset. Most state parks have electric hookups down here. It's not the heat that we can't tolerate so much as it's the humidity down here. You get hot and sweaty just laying in bed overnight with no chance for evaporative cooling. Miserable. Air conditioning lets us maintain comfort in those situations.

Last year when we camped at Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND, and it hit 106 degrees during the daytime, we did not have electric hookups for the A/C. Wasn't a problem because in drier climates the temperatures seem to drop quite a bit overnight, and there was very little humidity.

It all depends on where you plan to camp, and what your comfort preferences are.
Agree. It depends on where you live, where you camp, and your preferences. For us, it is an important option.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #105

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Southeast states in the summer, with the possible exception of the Appalachians, without A/C you'll wish you had stayed home.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #106

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I have a problem. The reason my air conditioner stopped blowing cold air is because the air filter is too dirty. Is that right? So what should I do to take care my air conditioner?
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #107

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Is being comfortable important?

That is the question.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #108

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In the 10 years , I have been on this forum , I have read possibly a 1000 threads asking if Option A or feature X is necessary

IE;
1) Air Conditioning
2) Furnace
3) Spare tire
4) Oven
5) Cooktop
6) Refrigerator
7) Toilet
8) Shower
9) Water heater
10) Propane
11) Roof Fan
12) Emergency exit window
13) High rise axle
14) Bathroom / Kitchen sink
15) Solar
16) Battery
17) Converter
18) WDH
19) Flooring
20) Screen door
21) Inverter
22) EMS
23) Bed with mattress
24) TV
25) Radio
26) WIFI
ETC , ETC , ETC , ETC

If one eliminated everything that someone suggested as useless , foolish , unnecessary , extravagant , a maintenance nightmare or a waste of money
, we would all be tent camping in a Walmart parking lot .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #109

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Air Conditioning a MUST?

On the other hand, if everyone insisted on having everything that might add to the comfort and/or convenience of an RV, the Walmart parking lot would be clogged with giant motorhomes and fifth wheels. Oh wait, it already is!

Most of us are here because we want something smaller and simpler. How small and how simple is always under negotiation. Sure, pretty much every single feature has been questioned and discussed many times. Many do without some features, but few eliminate all of them. I find the discussions worthwhile- occasionally informative and often entertaining. My own thinking on some things has evolved because of the input from others.

The only non-negotiable on this site is the towable all-molded fiberglass shell, and that alone makes it a big step up from a tent.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning