Airstream Nest - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #221

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jon, happier camper, no too far from you in Cali is making a larger version. introduced this year hopefully. Happy camping
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #222

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Ken! I had heard that, and also something about a new trailer using old Trillium molds. They're keeping busy!

I was actually responding to the previous post about a lack of mid-range options. It was purely hypothetical, as I am definitely in the budget category myself.

I already know exactly what I would want for myself in a slightly larger trailer, and it would still carry the Scamp logo.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #223

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
me too

jon at 76 highly doubtful I will ever buy a new trailer but I would like a 16 I think then a different tug I don't think our edge would handle it.

scamp just a well thought out trailer and fits our budget exactly. I cannot think of one thing I would change in our 95 13footer after 2 years! p/o took out the sink and range we don't miss it at all.

its not what we want but what we need in our life! of course the wants creates an airstream nest. good for those buyers!

bob
Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #224
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Another perspective

Luv the Nest and if money was no object one would be on my wish list.

Regardless of the cost of Airstream products they have proven in many times to be an investment.

ie..... In 2005 we bought a 1973, 23' Airstream for $6,100. and thought it was overpriced at the time. An easy, stable tow with a 6 cyl car.
We used it for 14 years and sold it last year for $14,000. and had a line up of folks who wanted to buy it.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #225

Name: Kat
Trailer: In the market!
British Columbia
I'd love to see one in real life - it was really interesting visiting the RV show a couple of weeks back & looking through all the massive trailers & class A motorhomes! Everyone does things (including camp ) differently, and while I admit to being a little confused about a trailer bigger than my old house, each to their own

I did go to the bank on Saturday morning & open an account to save for an Armadillo though It's definitely a big spend, but my husband is way too busy to even consider getting a pretty old boler & fixing her up. If we went that way I don't think we'd ever actually get to go camping at all! By my calculations we should be ready for Mike & Jason to start building in March next year, ready for camping season
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #226

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Given Airstreams pricing on other trailers I expected to see a high price on their Nest. Hopefully they will expand their fiberglass line to several models.

Competition is good and people attracted to the Nest but not it’s price could end up buying a Scamp or Casita or whatever. It will certainly bring attention to the whole molded FG trailer concept. Watch for articles in Trailer Life and others.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #227

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Competition is good and people attracted to the Nest but not it’s price could end up buying a Scamp or Casita or whatever. It will certainly bring attention to the whole molded FG trailer concept. Watch for articles in Trailer Life and others.
This is an excellent point. The vast majority of people looking to buy a trailer, and especially for the first time, have heard nothing, or very little, of moulded fibreglass trailers. No doubt they all know the Airstream brand, which will now expose them to moulded fibreglass. They might realize this way of building as having great benefit and go from there looking for more affordable, or alternate, solutions.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #228

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Excellent Nest Tour

This guy knows his stuff. I nearly wrote him a check. 25 minutes, no fluff. Very nice.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #229

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Here is a two minute promo. I think you will find about 10 new Nest videos on YouTube. I recommend the previous one, if you have time.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #230

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Great salesman and nice trailer. Maybe since it is dealer sold, there may be some room to negotiate.Probably not enough,but some folks might pay too much...Still... five figures too much?? EHHH?!

Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #231
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
That's a very good vid Tom. It's easy to see with all the features, design, and apparent build quality/parts why the price point is where it is at. Nice!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #232

Missouri
Floyd we keep harping on the price! 98% of us here would never consider this trailer but I was at our state park trouting and up comes one of those Mercedes campers they must run way over 100k on top of that the wifey was following in an expensive Honda suv.

they spent 30ms leveling that Mercedes then off they went in the Honda vehicle! I can almost but some sharp trailer salesman spotted the fact they had money or great credit and they were his as he oversold them on 100k rig think about the commission on that layout!

I guess we can all dream cant we?

bob
Old 04-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #233

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So... plywood floor on top of the fiberglass bathtub lower shell... did I hear that right? Oliver and Happier Camper both have an all-fiberglass floor. A core of composite material provides strength without wood. In this price range, I expected it. My recollection is Johans' prototype did.

I noticed the slots in the bed platform to provide air circulation under the mattress in the permanent bed version. Great idea!

Excellent video- thorough, factual, and well-paced, no hype. Thanks for posting, Tom!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #234

Missouri
plywood

jon they must have realized they needed extra support there heavy people on straight fiberglass. I think someone was have a fit over some plywood in an expensive trailer but I saw its purpose right away. it was put in there for cabinent support I bet they had had some cabinents fall down for some reason.

I don't know if my 13f scamper has it but I hope it does! I am interested in their sales on this rig! going to be interesting but if those dealers have their salesmen trained to sell this thing out the door they will go. look at what campers world does!

bob
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #235

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
That video showed the trailer well. It certainly is well thought out, and given it's size is certainly very effective.

My only nitpick is the curtains, which seem a little awkward, though to cover that curved window in front, not sure what else they could do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #236

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Excellent walkthrough video from Colonial Airstream. The Nest is quite well equipped and the attention to detail is impressive.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #237

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I think Airstream hit a home run with the styling and attention to detail. I had a couple areas of concern in unexpected "out of the norm" components. The refrigerator does not have a propane capability. The trailer compensates for this with an extra battery to extend the time you can run the fridge on 12 volt. As a chronic boondocker, I run my fridge on propane frequently and would assert that large propane bottles will last much longer than a battery. My past experience in keeping the fridge cold with 12v has been unimpressive. Maybe the Norcold fridge in this unit is more efficient in this regard than old Dometics. I love the windshield style front window, but am concerned about the lack of protection. All my fiberglass trailers have had a gravel guard to protect the front glass. Have to wonder how well that beautiful Airstream windshield fends off flying rocks. Lastly, not sure if I like the idea of combining the black and grey into one tank.

I was very impressed that this trailer has enclosed heated tanks. That is one of the key components of a Bigfoot trailer that rates them as a four-season unit. The salesman didn't mention whether the Nest has dual pane windows, or good insulation in the walls, but keeping the tanks protected is a great feature.

Overall, I welcome any new edition to the fiberglass trailer family. The Nest is a beauty.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #238
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
My past experience in keeping the fridge cold with 12v has been unimpressive. Maybe the Norcold fridge in this unit is more efficient in this regard than old Dometics.
Most likely the fridge is a compressor type. Better performance but all electric. As such unless you're plugged in you need a couple hundred watts of solar and a sunny camp site. Many manufacturers are using them. Most without venting.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #239

Missouri
over the top

no doubt airstream has built the best fiberglass trailer there is along with the oliver. I wouldn't buy either of them but that is another buyers choice the big question is can they sell them maybe there is a huge backlog on them.

I can go to 18 in our scamper no doubt someone has done lower by being inventive. I haven't tested our wave 3 to below that and I don't want to!

bob
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #240
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Thanks for posting the video. Nice trailer but not enough ventilation for me. Awning windows, no thanks. Is it worth the money? If it's well made on a par with Oliver but, towable by a smaller vehicle then I suspect there is a market for it. There are a lot of folks in all-in-ones that would like to move to a towable. Trading in a Winnebago View for a Nest and a tow.??? Easier exploring.

I look forward to seeing one in person.
Closed Thread