Airstream Nest - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Comparing a Scamp or tricked out Boler to a Nest is like comparing a stock car to an F1 car, Both go 200 mph but the technology in the F1 is WAY more advanced.
And, an F1 car is a tad more money,,,
Notice I was comparing the marketing of the Nest to the marketing of other fiberglass trailers.
In what way is the Nest a whole different genre? It is very conventional other than the frame design and the rear entry, which has been tried and failed pretty much except maybe the the "Lil-Snoozy". And ...Oh Yeah, the controversial vacuum infusion shell ( like "lil-Snoozy")
I always compared Scamp to an early Corvette... since it was small,cute, made of fiberglass, and had to be towed to be moved!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
.... and the rear entry, which has been tried and failed pretty much except maybe the the "Lil-Snoozy".
Happier Camper uses a rear door entry. As a recent startup, only time will tell. But I certainly wouldn't count them out as they seem to be doing well.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Happier Camper uses a rear door entry. As a recent startup, only time will tell. But I certainly wouldn't count them out as they seem to be doing well.
Happier Camper has a conventional side entry door and a rear hatch cargo door. I haven't counted anyone out, just making observations.
"There is apparently a market for anything at any price..."
(Thomas Tusser??)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only thing I see in common the Nest has to the Snoozy is a back door. Not shape, not components, fabrics or build quality. For those items, Nest is closer to the Oliver. Robert put a lot of thought into each and every facet wanting quality over price. Everything from a marine-grade, stainless-steel dual-burner cooktop to LED lighting system with dimmer switches.

I truly hope Airstream is very successful with Nest. Quality built all-molded-towables cause all the manufacturers to up their game and that's good for all of us.
The Nest has really only one unique feature...its frameless. It shares the infusion shell process with the "Lil-Snoozy" as well as the rear entry.
Really though I think the nest is a nice looking trailer, but to paraphrase CathyP ... 20,000 extra dollars buys a lot of travel.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The Nest has WAY more that sets it aside from most other fibreglass trailers than just the frameless design. The attention to detail in the design and specifications for finishings is far above any trailer, even the Oliver which would be a definite runner up in this category.

The effective use of the space in the trailer maximises it usefulness, especially for its size and weight. Sure Robert had to make a few compromises, but all our FG trailers have some kind of comprimise to them.

Plus, it looks great, and has a very unique design that will appeal to a great many. The exterior design is sleek from front to back, and top to bottom. The interior is very nice looking too.

To me, it is the very best trailer out there in the 1-17' range, and wins in almost all categories except cost. If I was looking for a trailer that size, it would be right at the top of the list.

Folks pay way more than that for a tow vehicle, a kitchen reno, or many other things. If you do have the disposable income, this price is not too much of a problem to get something with this kind of finish.

What the Nest offers is what I am the most disappointed with from most other FG manufactures, who must use lesser products to finish the trailers to keep the costs down. This is why the Escape 5.0TA I am getting will come without a lot of the finishing features, as this is something I am willing to do myself with costlier items.

Is the Nest the trailer for everyone, not on your life. I bet it will only be considered by a very small percentage of buyers. But, there will definitely be a market for it. I wish them well in their endeavour.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #26

Registry
I guess i just don't see the value which justifies the additional cost...
but does this mean that Escape has been dethroned?

Nest Caravans are road ready; • Bend-based Nest Caravans rolls out a prototype of its camper

RV Trailers - Small Deluxe 16' Lightweight RV Campers - Scamp Trailers

The 17 Foot Escape

Photo Gallery: Family Vacation: Camper Uses: Smoakin Concepts Composites
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #27

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Thor just bought Jay Co. with the Airstream and Jay Co dealer network I am sure a lot of people would like to have a dealer in few miles of there home to go to with problems I know I Would. As Scamp is over 400 miles away and is a pain to work on at my age a dealer close would be nice. As after each trip it has problems. I can see local dealers able to sale the Nest.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I guess i just don't see the value which justifies the additional cost...
Yeah well you don't own a Lexus either. Neither do I. Best to agree that we don't get it. Another one of those mysteries. But maybe they'll sell lots of them over seas. Offset the trade deficit... Think positive.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Were any Nests ever sold at $30,000? or any price?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #30

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
With over 1MM new RV's SOLD in the last 3 years selling em might not be a problem as the RV market continues to be strong however IF Airstream expects their dealers to repair these units under warranty as a result of a poor quality build in the first place they will have a real problem and a very possible failed product launch!

Time will tell!
Old 07-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #31

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Maybe the Nest is a Lexus never seen one.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
Maybe the Nest is a Lexus never seen one.
Like a Toyota with lockwashers ?
I have to laugh though, they did away with most of the frame and kept the only part that breaks on the other brands!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #33

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The frameless design is a good idea if it could withstand rigorous testing. They won't have time and the customer may be stuck in the end. Hopefully Airstream will have a long warranty or put a full frame under it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #34

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
How are they frameless? Any pictures of what they did?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Olivers are about 5 grand more to start, but the Nest is a lot less trailer.
Not sure we can say that just yet... got to wait and see what Airstream actually does with it.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not sure we can say that just yet... got to wait and see what Airstream actually does with it.
Not sure who "we" is??? ...Apparently "I" can. My comment was a reference to size mostly, but also to stuff like Oliver's under floor design. Nothing I would want, but at least an excuse for the high price.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Not sure who "we" is???
LOL was using the general royal "We".

My point was its hard to judge if a product is or is not worth the asking price without first seeing the actual product.

Airstream has not posted photos or shared all the changes they will be making to the trailer as far as design and or finishes go yet. Just that they will be making them. I did read somewhere (not here) that they have said that they will be adding black water holding tank to the trailer though... will have to wait and see if thats true or not.

Its a bit like different boat brands/makes. Lots of fibreglass 18' runabouts out there for sale new at well under $25,000 but there are at least two brands that will set you back well over US $40,000 for a 17'er and they do not seem to be lacking in buyers or those who dream of one day owning one
Old 07-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My guess is that Airstream will probably have a creative finance plan to move them. Newer generations seem to love to finance things to the hilt. I wonder where the Nest will actually be built.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #39

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Newer generations seem to love to finance things to the hilt.
Yep, I know a couple who are financed to the hilt on everything: cars home, second home, everything has a loan. Even bought their last mattress on store credit. Of course, they are my octogenarian parents. Damn "newer generation" needs to get offa my lawn!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Turn the sprinkler on them if that don't work throw a skunk in their trailer.
Closed Thread