Airstream Nest - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #41

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
As one very rich man once said:

Click image for larger version

Name:	quote-if-you-have-to-ask-how-much-it-costs-you-can-t-afford-it-j-p-morgan-20-56-54.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	97567

I think they're way cool, but I would have to ask how much it cost! LOL

Spanke
Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I wonder where the Nest will actually be built.

Jackson Center, Ohio - next to the Airstream plant.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #43

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I read the Nest thread....it is kinda cool. I didn't see any opening windows though? Id love to put one through its paces testing that chassisless idea, never avoiding a bump for a year..lol
Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Keep in mind that you really have to keep your cards close to your chest, sitting side by side at the dinette.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #45

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
How are they frameless? Any pictures of what they did?
Bruce, There is a whole thread under "General Chat", "Hi, I am...", "Introducing Nest Caravans" that explains it all. I think the link below will take you directly to it:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-61869.html

In general, I recall it is an extruded fiberglass construction similar to the hull of a large fiberglass boat. Supposedly strong enough that the axle is mounted directly to the fiberglass floor, and the tongue directly to the front and a box hitch directly to the rear - no metal frame - everything bolted directly to the fiberglass. I'm curious if they ever figured out how to hang a curtain around that curved front window over the forward-located bed. Sometimes it's the little things that make a builder scratch their head....
Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #46

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Thor Inds. is the one I see who bought the Nest. In 2014 Jayco who Thor now owns built a Fiberglass camper but never marketed it. So maybe with Thor along with Airstream, Jayco can put the Nest idea Jayco Jay Smart together and come up with a great Fiberglass unit and people would pay 40000 for. We will have to see down the road if this happens.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #47

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I would imagine the problem with airstream is that they are built from metal. Metal being a lot more expensive than fiberglass and also tends to go up in cost every year and fluctuate with the market. Unless they change their building materials you could see airstreams trying to sell for double of what they are today in the next decade.

They are very nice trailers but at their current prices it makes them just as impractical as today's $100k+ motorhomes.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
Thor Inds. is the one I see who bought the Nest. In 2014 Jayco who Thor now owns built a Fiberglass camper but never marketed it. So maybe with Thor along with Airstream, Jayco can put the Nest idea Jayco Jay Smart together and come up with a great Fiberglass unit and people would pay 40000 for. We will have to see down the road if this happens.
I was watching for that Jayco Jay Smart, even contacted the company about it. Even at that time, I was reading a lot of negative reviews about Jayco. They have been going down hill for awhile now when it comes to quality. There entry models have an expected life time of about 5 years. Now, being acquired by Thor, the quality will slip yet again and I have read about this with every single unit that Thor has under its wing.

Bad news about Jayco. Sadly, many don't do the research and I have heard too many times "Well, Thor makes Airstream." Well, not the Airstream that lasts for decades. We once looked at a new Thor unit years ago, looking to trade an old Winnebago motorhome and we couldn't spend good money on that!

I can't wish Thor good luck on anything with the crappy quality they put out. They are about profit, which is what business is about, but not when it puts out crappy products. Seriously, we are talking not minor burps, but falling apart.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #49

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I, for one, wouldn't want a camper made of "Recycled" pop cans!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #50

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... I, for one, wouldn't want a camper made of "Recycled" pop cans!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf, pretty sure they only use quality beer cans to build Airstreams.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #51

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would never want one. I'am VERY HAPPY with my CASITA.
To each his own.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #52

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post

I can't wish Thor good luck on anything with the crappy quality they put out. They are about profit, which is what business is about, but not when it puts out crappy products. Seriously, we are talking not minor burps, but falling apart.
This.
Thor acquired Airstream maybe 7-8 years a go? I had a chance to view a Thor Airstream around the time of the acquisition and it was mostly particle board cabinet construction with Ikea-esque furnishings. I believe it was a slide-out as well, selling for $80,000.00

I describe the overall detail was really junky not as a fiberglass snob but as an observation from someone who was familiar with the original manufacturer products.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #53

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I loved the 2003 Airstream Bambi 16 CCD.
It was a beautiful trailer, but ultimately it would have required a "no fun" tow vehicle, and it was a bit pricey.
It was a close second choice to my Scamp13D, but over time I discovered that I had made the right choice.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #54

Registry
[QUOTE=mike_bc;600678]This.
Thor acquired Airstream maybe 7-8 years a go? /QUOTE]

LOL how time flys. It was actually back in 1980 that Thor acquired Airstream

In fact it was when Airstream was aquired that Thor Industries came to be.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #55

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
[QUOTE=Carol H;600707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
This.
Thor acquired Airstream maybe 7-8 years a go? /QUOTE]

LOL how time flys. It was actually back in 1980 that Thor acquired Airstream

In fact it was when Airstream was aquired that Thor Industries came to be.
Thanks for the update Carol.

No doubt your are correct. I was at an RV place in Langley BC [who shall remain nameless] at that time and they were an Airstream dealer. The slide out model we looked at was advertised inside their showroom as built by and newly acquired by Thor Industries.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #56

Registry
[QUOTE=mike_bc;600717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
No doubt your are correct. I was at an RV place in Langley BC [who shall remain nameless] at that time and they were an Airstream dealer. The slide out model we looked at was advertised inside their showroom as built by and newly acquired by Thor Industries.
LOL I know the place...for the life of me I do not know why Airstream keeps them as a dealer. The funny part is they do not normally have very many Airstreams in stock (last fall they had one) and no Airstream specific items in their parts department - if you ask for something they suggest you order it on line yourself. Imagine that! LOL

Yup the Slide out model was pretty darn ugly and bit of a collectors item these days as I think they only made them for about a year or two.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #57

Name: Paul
Trailer: Looking for the NEST
Ontario
Nest and Airstream

Am not sure what gen I am, probably part of the BB born in 54, but man I love this NEST! From it's inception as Robert gave us a Blow by Blow of the Prototype I have been enamoured with this unit. I have looked at a number of items, BaseCamp, Lance 1475, Alto Safari, T@B 400, Trillium Outback, Scamp, Escape, Oliver, Lil Snozzy........Nest has still got me. And 40K, that is peanuts.....am looking forward to the release! We have a Toyota Highlander 2002 with a new engine (2.4) and a Tranny Cooler......looken for Light Weight and do not care about the price.....
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #58

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Correlating Thread

RV Daily Report just posted an article on the Nest today (Airstream gives official sneak peek of The Nest | RV Daily Report), and there's a FiberglassRV correlating thread about the same trailer, linked below.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cle-77851.html
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #59

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still it is a lot more like a glorified "Lil'Snoozy" than it is like an Oliver.
Shear size and weight alone shows that, then look at the Oliver sub-floor design. I'm not a big Oliver fan but I can sure see the difference .

That's funny. I have followed the threads on the Nest from the start. It is an attractive design. I have no doubt Airstream will sell some of them . I always thought it was a bad copy of the LIL Snoozy..Less room, roof openings.. port a potty, narrow door. those awful chairs. Hopefully AS will fix some of that. Even though everyone admired the design I don't think even one was sold before AS bought it.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #60

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
It is also heavier than a LiL Snoozy..
Closed Thread