Airstream Nest - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #61

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJ-2012 View Post
Am not sure what gen I am, probably part of the BB born in 54, but man I love this NEST! From it's inception as Robert gave us a Blow by Blow of the Prototype I have been enamoured with this unit. I have looked at a number of items, BaseCamp, Lance 1475, Alto Safari, T@B 400, Trillium Outback, Scamp, Escape, Oliver, Lil Snozzy........Nest has still got me. And 40K, that is peanuts.....am looking forward to the release! We have a Toyota Highlander 2002 with a new engine (2.4) and a Tranny Cooler......looken for Light Weight and do not care about the price.....
Don't worry about there being a line when you go to plop down 40k, there won't be one. And no, it's not peanuts
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #62

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
To those that think at $40K it won't sell, the Airstream Basecamp starts at $36K. The 16 foot Airstream Sport starts at $46K.

For Airstream's pricing, $40K is right there and should sell just fine. Will I buy one? No. But others will.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #63

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Will I buy one? No. But others will.
You're right. I've no interest in one but a bunch of people will. And with Airstream's production capacity behind it, no doubt we'll soon see new fgrv members with a Nest.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #64

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
For $40K, one can buy TWO Casitas, better equipped.

The Don Pod
Old 07-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #65

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
While a Casita is a great value, there is no way you can compare how they are equipped, the Nest outfitting, let alone the construction, is way above and beyond what Casita uses. Same applies to Escape, that while great value, it is equipped nowhere near as nice. This is why I chose to buy a brand new trailer and do a lot of the finishing myself, upgrading lots of the equipment and fixtures.

You could just see as Robert Johans was building the first prototype, that there was incredible detail put into every aspect of it, well beyond what the vast majority of RV's employ. He did a lot of thinking outside of the box, and to good end. The glut of RV's frankly are made as inexpensively as possible to make them affordable, cheaper fixtures like sinks, stoves, hood fans, furnaces, fridges, plumbing fixtures, etc. It is nice to see an option of quality out there, and with Robert overseeing the Airstream production of the Nest, I do believe it will find a customer base, and do well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I see lots of Airstream Sport 16 "Bambis" in camp and on the road but not one Basecamp. A big part of AS's appeal is style, and the large majority of AS buyers want an AS to look like an AS.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #67

Name: Paul
Trailer: Looking for the NEST
Ontario
One NEST in the Driveway worth 2 Casitas in the Bush!

Quote:
And then I would be about $40K down with TWO Casitas that I do not want and without the NEST that I do want!!!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #68

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
That was not a command. That was an illustration, a comparison.

The Don Pod
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #69

Ontario
Illusions vs Illustration

Quote:
That was not a command. That was an illustration, a comparison.
Sorry Don, going to have to go with Jim on this one! Am sure that the Process will not be exactly the same with the build once they streamline the plant build but am really excited about this one. Also am peeking at Castita, but with the Exchange and getting it over the border and then the Safety Inspections.......ad nauseum
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #70

Texas
There is much talk about how they are equipped, The Nest outfitting, the construction being way above what Casita uses. That's advertising hype. The implication that the detail is better and nicer? (subjective)

I do not own a Casita but the implication is that it's just thrown together and not very nice, cheap materials as opposed to expensive materials and superior engineering in the Nest. I've owned an Airstream for 20 years. The woodwork is amazing, it's extremely comfortable. The mini blinds, the refrigerator, the toilet, the sink, these things are all standard in most RVs as will be the refrigerator, the toilet, and the sink in the Nest.

Yes it'll be a nice trailer with a different style. I like the design using the rear entrance, which is why I like the Lil Snoozy.

But $10,000 of the price of the nest is going to be because it has the Airstream name on it, not because of the quality or superior everything.

The Don Pod
Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #71

Texas
Quote:
. Also am peeking at Castita, but with the Exchange and getting it over the border and then the Safety Inspections.......ad nauseum
What border? The Texas border? The Ohio border?

The Don Pod
Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #72

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
To those that think at $40K it won't sell, the Airstream Basecamp starts at $36K. The 16 foot Airstream Sport starts at $46K.

For Airstream's pricing, $40K is right there and should sell just fine. Will I buy one? No. But others will.
My local Airstream dealer has quite a few brandy new aluminium trailers sitting on a lot getting really dirty just outside of Los Angeles. If they can't move them who can? I wish them luck with their new venture as it is made here in the good ol USA and I am sure there are people who can use the jobs. Personally I think the old aluminium Airstream has run its course and the new Nest just isnt big enough for the money involved. People with that kind of money to spend want amenities and the nest just isn't big enough to accommodate them. Airstream is revamping the initial design and I am curious how they go about accommodating for their market share.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #73

Ontario
Hype and Everything After!

Quote:
But $10,000 of the price of the nest is going to be because it has the Airstream name on it, not because of the quality or superior everything.
I will pay that $10K extra for Airstream Decal or Die Cast Name! As a mater of fact will end up paying $13K with exchange. As to Hype, do not see it and do not see the slander to other units. I Want A NEST, nuff said!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #74

Ontario
The Other Border.......EH!

Quote:
What border? The Texas border? The Ohio border?
Well am going to go with the Canadian Border! Eh!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #75

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
I will pay that $10K extra for Airstream Decal or Die Cast Name!
Well Paul, you're exactly the kind of buyer Airstream is looking for but for those who don't happen to share that sentiment there are other options:

Go get em tiger !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0355.JPG  
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #76

Ontario
Got Git Me That Decal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
Well Paul, you're exactly the kind of buyer Airstream is looking for but for those who don't happen to share that sentiment there are other options:

Go get em tiger !
Hey Randy, if I could do it today I would. I have even considered the Basecamp, which would exclude me from this wonderful forum.....but will wait with trepidation for the NEST!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #77

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
I don't know if I'm old or not but I full time with kids in a Bigfoot. It can be done. I have a 17b

I think it comes down to lots of things. Like how you like to spend your time and how much stuff you have.

That being said I would trade up for a Silver Cloud but finding one is almost impossible they don't come up very often. We have started looking at Airstream but only the older ones. They were lighter.

Bigfoot holds its value I feel like an airstream. We spend a lot of time out dry camping and I like the National Parks campgrounds compared to others. It is small enough to put it any place and affords a time savings and lets me stop and have lunch that a pup does not. (Been there did that). It dwarfs FG in its size although wide and tall makes for some hard pulling on windy days.

That all being said if I go bigger (I'm thinking about it) I would go with an airstream because they are available and I can afford one and have the skills to work on it. Stick built never crossed my mind. The quality is not there. I can not pull it with an SUV at the size I need (or want). I can't afford to fix it based on value at the end of the project.
Oh and I guess I just like old things. There is something that makes me happy about taking something and fixing it up. I like hard work

But all that said it looks like we would be a two trailer family. If i went bigger I would have to keep this one to go camping.
www.directuganda.com
Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #78

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Nest update, July 22, 2017

https://www.airstream.com/blog/story...ll-big-thing/?

PS, I searched for other posts.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #79

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Yup that is the latest, as I am subscribing they posted it today! Countdown is on! Roll on Spring 18!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #80

Texas
The problem with the nest is there's no place to sit. If you make the bed into a dinette to sit, then there's no place to sleep. Setting in a scrawny little plastic chair at a desk is not my idea of comfort.

The Don Pod
Closed Thread