Airstream Nest - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #141

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Jon, you make a good point. The relatively newer manufacturers you named have offered innovation. It it easy to dwell on the established makers as not being as innovative. Scamp & Casita come to mind, perhaps Trillium. Many see a late model of those as an equal to a new unit. Possibly better because the bugs are out, and some useful options may be installed.

With the widespread backlogs, if it ain't broke...

This thread is getting a little long. A dealer in TN just posted a new video of the Nest by Airstream interior. It won't be mistaken for the sort of slick Hollywood production we can expect from Airstream.

I posted it on a new thread.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post692250
Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #142

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cost of innovation

I hope our boys don't see this msrp and put in a free tv or something and jack their prices up! I will be very interested to see how many nests are sold at their prices?

everyone is always wanting to make more this nest makes a new ballgame but so far they haven't paid much attention to olivers.

bob
Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #143

Denver, CO
Numerous press releases and stories from a year or so ago, cited prices for the Nest as starting around $30,000 base. Now that may have changed, or they might just be maximizing revenue on the early adopters. Nothing new there. I expect at least some of the latter. No doubt they have a lot of development costs.

Previous posts cite a couple selling for $47,234.

Don't Olivers start in the $60s? If these settle down to the low 30s, that's within a lot more budgets.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #144

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...It it easy to dwell on the established makers as not being as innovative. Scamp & Casita come to mind, perhaps Trillium. Many see a late model of those as an equal to a new unit. Possibly better because the bugs are out, and some useful options may be installed.

With the widespread backlogs, if it ain't broke...
Not innovation, perhaps, as in clean slate designs, but the established manufacturers do make lots of improvements. Escape, for example, revised the molds across their whole product line, a major undertaking, and changed to awning windows for better ventilation. Bigfoot introduced an all-new 17.5' model a few years ago.

Scamp and Casita changes are even more incremental. Casita redid the wet bath molds and introduced a new model (Independence) a few years ago, and Scamp added the big bed option (which required several new molds) and redid the door last year (another mold change) to include a modern RV lockset and new hinges.

Maybe not earth-shattering, but as you say- if it ain't broke...

And this. Lil Snoozy possibly excepted, all the innovative designs I mentioned come with a very premium price tag.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #145

Missouri
i wonder

I wonder what a simple modification to those molds would cost. I sold the insulated mugs and bowls that went on hospital trays. there was very little change through the years with these I ask why one time and was told the mold change cost was astronomical!

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #146

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Today is supposed to be the on-sale date. Not seeing much of a splash. Nothing new on the AS website. Am I missing something?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #147

Missouri
jon maybe its as we called it in retail and food service openings a soft opening! I am sure too much advertising and they will be overwhelmed!

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #148

Denver, CO
Last night I pondered visiting the local dealer today. Initially it sounded like fun. Later, I decided my heart might not handle the excitement, and I can probably do it anytime. Actually I know I'd never buy one new. But this sealed the deal as far as visiting.

I get a monthly email from Airstream, and The Nest has had regular coverage. A week ago, they posted a focus group. ...of birds, get it, Nest? Neither did I.

No news releases, videos, or emails today. I still expect something, but they sure built anticipation up.

Bob, you may be right about a soft introduction. I would have thought they'd do that discretely the past several days. Today, they should have pounced on the buzz immediately. Makes me wonder. Is there some problem? If they don't care, why should we?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #149

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I looked at that same set-up and imagined how the heck I would hide my cards from my opponent.
I'll pass.
And where do you store the stools for travel?
Most of us put our stools in the porta potti. Where have you been leaving yours??

Old 04-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #150

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGP View Post
I'm all for lots of big windows...
Me too! Oh, if only we could get a molded FG with expansive windows like this...

Name:   Black_Rock_20RD__PB_5.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 04-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #151

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Quote:
No news releases, videos, or emails today. I still expect something, but they sure built anticipation up.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/

It's up. Picturing a phone call to the IT guy. That site was supposed to up at midnight. Oh crap... ok moving it to production now.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #152

Denver, CO
On further thought, Airstream doesn't know what they are doing, marketing wise. Restaurants hold soft openings, but always before the announced Grand Opening.

They are the ones who announced today was the Grand Opening. Picking a Thursday ahead of the weekend? No accident, it makes sense. But someone overslept.

The stupid bird focus group video made me wonder.

PS, It's time for Tommy here to eat crow. Base price is $45,900, two floorplans.

Edit: More crow here please. I see later everyone liked the birds. Ha.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #153

Missouri
here we go

nothing moves until the IT guys gets it up! I once knew a company that moved to the computer age the IT guy had all the keys they slowing went broke!!

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #154

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yeah, I have been going over the website since it came up with all the details. It certainly has lots of great attention to detail. The fit and finish look great. Would love to see one in person now.

While I would have liked a warmer interior, white and grey are huge colours in the interior design world these days, so it should appeal to many.

I know many will scoff at the cost, but I think it is great to see something at the top end of the FGRV market.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #155

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
That was a cute April Fools video. Made me smile.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #156

Name: Kat
Trailer: In the market!
British Columbia
Aww! The little birds in the video on the website are super cute
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #157

Missouri
I am not opposed to any body building or producing whatever they want I think it s great. if it appeals to me I will buy it used several years from now for way less than new and you can bet it will be in perfect condition of course it depends if I live that much longer at 76.

but I will be watching I find it interesting if airstream can break into this market and of course stay in long term!

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #158

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
On further thought, Airstream doesn't know what they are doing, marketing wise. Restaurants hold soft openings, but always before the announced Grand Opening.

They are the ones who announced today was the Grand Opening. Picking a Thursday ahead of the weekend? No accident, it makes sense. But someone overslept.

PS, It's time for Tommy to eat crow. Base price is $45,900, two floorplans.
So the price with options is comparable to other higher end trailers.
It seems we only have 2 levels of fiberglass trailers , reasonably priced and more than I can afford or want to spend.
OH well back to dreaming and hoping
Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #159

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
So a 16'7" at $45.9k US, $2k less than the 18'7" Oliver.

Almost a queen size bed, but I think a lot of people will not like having to put up the bed each day at that price point. And I just don't see the bench option being a replacement for a dinette. But then again, I think I am wrong on who Nest was aimed at. I thought it was aimed at the empty nesters, but now that we can see the full design (NVM that vid) I think it might be aimed at hipsters. The younger crowed will be more willing to deal with that type of design. They also get the Airstream badge and "high quality" look, along with Airstreams reputation, but at the same time not actually be in an Airstream.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #160

Denver, CO
It looks good. I prefer the version where the bed can stay set up. I'm pretty sure that I (old boomer on a budget) am not their target demo. These will be popular with younger generation. Kids, don't forget to save some for retirement, if you want one.

Any more crow left? Looks like everyone liked the birds.
Closed Thread