Airstream Nest - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #101

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
OMG... Add $15K and you can buy NEW class B or small class A motorhome...
Or better yet an OLIVER fiberglass trailer!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #102

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Clearly a dilemma, folks.

While historically it was the "eggs" that were supposed to be golden, in this case the Nests are also eggs! Fiberglass eggs, priced like golden ones. Nest was a clever name.

What to do? Stay tuned, I suppose. It is all theater.

Was it $47,234 for both, or each? No need to reply, a rhetorical question.
Attached Thumbnails
nestdownload.jpeg  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #103

Tennessee
Wally and Stella's "Gold Egg"!

https://www.airstream.com/blog/stell...old-airstream/
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #104

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i wonder

at 47,000 I wonder how many they will sell when just as good is available for much less!

bob
Old 04-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #105

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
at 47,000 I wonder how many they will sell when just as good is available for much less!

bob
How many Cadilllacs sell, when-just as-good Chevys are available for much less? In other words, some people buy whatever makes them feel good (prestige, brand awareness, etc). I think they will sell all right. Just not to you or me!
Old 04-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #106

Missouri
cars

mike I have never owned a chevy I have owned Plymouths, mercurys, dodges, couple of dumb fords, 3 Pontiacs couple of lincolns, 5 cadilacs but never a chevy. oh wait a minute I did own a chevy truck with the olds diesel in it a real dumb move!

if I had the money for a new rig it would be an escape and keep the change!

I do wonder where the nest is going to fit in in the scheme of things oh I bet they can arrange great financing on those! just a thought!

as a thought wifey and I play the dubs game it will be a long one here as I bet we never see one!

bob
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #107

Tennessee
IF Airstream does not screw it up like they did with poor production build quality on the Basecamp I believe these will sell well given the Airstream brand and the fact that towable trailer market as a whole continues to shift towards smaller unit size as demanded by the younger generation. All it will take to buy one $400/month forever just like most any other RV purchase.

The Nest is certainly not in the general price range for a Gen X'er however there are always those who yearn for the high end of the market. The design configuration of this trailer should be right up their alley!

Old 04-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #108

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I’ve seen many millennials with Sprinter van conversions which are not cheap and I expect Airstream will sell out on the Nests. Buyers won’t be the typical molded trailer customer, they will be people with a lot of disposable income that just Airstream name.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #109

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am pretty sure they are running 2 full shifts to turn these out now and have been for a little while too.

This is pretty much new ground for Airstream and they want to try to get it right from the start.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #110

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Here's a couple of interior pictures.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/nest-focus-group/

Old 04-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #111

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Thanks Mike, So are there two different floor plans? Looking at the still photos in your link, I can't reconcile how the dinette would transition into the bed with cabinet in the bottom pic. Same with the sofa on the left and the cabinet in the other pic. The sink didn't move. We know the entry door is behind, and the bath behind to left. I believe a desk may be behind right. I'd opt for the dinette, but leave it as a bed mostly.

I checked YouTube to see whether any brand new Nest by Airstream videos had been posted. There was a 34 second one of just the exterior.

Here's an interesting video of living inside a 1st generation Basecamp. They made a couple hundred around 2007, before reintroducing them a few years ago. He claims a 4 wheel ATV would fit in the back ramp?

If you have time, watch this video in short succession. It is a tour of the new Basecamp. More seems to have changed than stayed the same. The earlier version had no bath. The new model has a side door & many changes. No more back ramp.
Neither Basecamp will be mistaken for the Nest. They are all quite different, inside and out.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #112

Missouri
bill have you seen those Mercedes rv type trucks 100k please

bob
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #113

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

bob
Which trailer is built as good that costs less?

This really is near impossible to gauge, as many of the components built into the Nest are not used in other trailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
IF Airstream does not screw it up like they did with poor production build quality on the Basecamp I believe these will sell well given the Airstream brand and the fact that towable trailer market as a whole continues to shift towards smaller unit size as demanded by the younger generation. All it will take to buy one $400/month forever just like most any other RV purchase.

The Nest is certainly not in the general price range for a Gen X'er however there are always those who yearn for the high end of the market. The design configuration of this trailer should be right up their alley!
I too think they will sell quite good, but time will tell. There is a segment of the population that has the money to pay for extra feature and quality, so will.

I will be interested to see which direction they go next with the Nest. When interviewed by Airstream's research department a few weeks back, they indicated they were actually considering an even smaller trailer, designed to be pulled easily by a vehicle rated for 3,500 lbs towing, or less. They seemed that this was a good market to look into for an upscale build, and they might be right, but for the most part I think there is a larger market, and more money, going bigger.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #114

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
...just as good is available for much less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Which trailer is built as good that costs less? This really is near impossible to gauge, as many of the components built into the Nest are not used in other trailers.
I was going to ask the same thing. Quantify "just as good".
Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #115

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I was going to ask the same thing. Quantify "just as good".
"Just as good" could mean having much the same features, comfort, and longevity with minimal maintenance, and proven buyer satisfaction.
Or it could mean having the right label with the right bragging rights....
think purses, shoes, clothing or even some cars with the label and price being the only distinguishing elements.
J.D Powers often determines "quality" on whether a product can last 90days without breaking or requiring repairs.
The "Nest" has not yet even met that standard in the hands of the end buyer. To those who prefer a rear entry trailer, the Lil' Snoozy may be the only "Just as good" available, and a far better price!

To me rear entry is a nonstarter,which would make most side entry trailers then default to "better".
Also...Price is indisputably a factor in value, which is certainly a factor for the sane buyer when it comes to determining what is "just as good".
Old 04-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #116

Arkansas
Registry
Well yeah, you're right Floyd, the Nest is an unknown quantity at this early stage. I'm merely suggesting that "just as good" is a highly subjective term.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #117

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I hope the Airstream Nest is successfully, wildly successful! I think those of us that made the journey with Robert Johan's wants to see this trailer succeed.

IMHO "Just as Good," rates right up there with "Best." Totally subjective. When someone asks about the "best" trailer, I often think 'best' for what? Your budget, the layout, what your tow vehicle can haul? 'Just as Good' can mean... it works just fine for it's intended purpose.

Love the one you're with!!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #118

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Well yeah, you're right Floyd, the Nest is an unknown quantity at this early stage. I'm merely suggesting that "just as good" is a highly subjective term.
It is at that!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #119

Missouri
only so much

I don't see them knocking scamp sales at all way too much money compared to a scamp, I doubt if they hurt casita either but they might move into the others especially the top end guy.

going to take some salesmanship to steal business from the others who have been at it awhile.

will the trailer outfits continue their wild sales I doubt it? Harley Davidson found out they just closed down their Kansas City plant! they got by playing games for quite awhile but it has hurt their sales now!

bob
Old 04-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #120

Arkansas
Registry
I sincerely doubt any other maker of fiberglass trailers will be hurt Bob. Airstream's name recognition alone should bring customers in the door. It's just not the same marketing strategy, and probably not even the same customer base, as a Scamp, a Casita or any other fiberglass trailer.