Airstream Nest - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #121

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Believe me Bob if they didn't think they could sell them they would not be making them.

This end of the market is wide open for a brand with name recognition and there are few names as recognized anywhere.

The owner of the company told me he is pretty excited about the whole idea and they have concentrated on getting them right as many expect if it is going to wear the Airstream name!

He takes it pretty seriously.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #122

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
What would you pay for one of these? My guess is for a certain type of narcissist the bucks don't matter -- it's the show-off factor that counts. What's in your wallet?
Attached Thumbnails
Bowlus.jpg  
Old 04-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #123

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
ever been in sales I have only so much to go around no matter what the industry is!!

bob
Old 04-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #124

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
ever been in sales I have only so much to go around no matter what the industry is!!

bob
Yes, I've done sales. It's not a set pool in many industries. That's particularly true in the RV industry, which has been expanding now for quite some time. The market may be saturated when it comes to the cheap boxes you'll find at Camping World, but it's nowhere near saturated in the higher end market or the fiberglass market. Take a look at the expansions that fiberglass manufacturers like Escape have done just trying to keep up with demand.

Maybe you won't see very many Nests purchased by folks on a fixed income, but to the high end market looking for upscale while small and light, it should fill a niche.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #125

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
What would you pay for one of these? My guess is for a certain type of narcissist the bucks don't matter -- it's the show-off factor that counts. What's in your wallet?
I love them! The layout is like a train, and I love trains. The bed is like a boat, and I love boats, too! And of course I'll take the Endless Highways Edition, at $219K.

Hmmm... that means I'll need a Bentley Bentayga to pull it, so let's see, another $229K...

The Airstream Nest is starting to feel like a bargain!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #126

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The Nest has some nice features. One that really appealed to me is its functionality for having the bed set up but also providing a counter space that 2 people can sit at in front of a window, looking outside. A space that can be used for eating or for working on a computer or even standing up working at the counter on a project be it cooking or some other type of maker activity.

I do not want to have to lower a table down to sleep then put it back up for work time. I also need good back support while sitting which the average dinette configuration in RVs does not provide.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #127

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I looked at that same set-up and imagined how the heck I would hide my cards from my opponent.
I'll pass.
And where do you store the stools for travel?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #128

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
I don't understand Airstream's fascination with front windows. In an rv park or campground who wants to have a big window facing the road and/or the back of your tow vehicle? I guess a lot of folks but it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #129

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
I don't understand Airstream's fascination with front windows. In an rv park or campground who wants to have a big window facing the road and/or the back of your tow vehicle? I guess a lot of folks but it doesn't make sense to me.
Light, and a view anywhere, is a plus for me. Many times the view of the front is great, sometimes the only one, especially when backed into trees.

Not always ideal, but sometimes is, and when you can't have a rear view due to layout, it is the only one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #130

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've found that I can sit at the front dinette, and look out the back window.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #131

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
I'm all for lots of big windows. We have a front dinette Scamp 13 with four big windows, and the windows are one of its best features.

When we decided we needed more room for extended living on the road, we got an Airstream with full pano windows on both ends. The more windows, the more you feel like you are in the environment around you.

And as for the Nest: Airstream has released photos showing two floorplans. Neither has the side-facing table and chairs.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #132

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGP View Post
I'm all for lots of big windows. We have a front dinette Scamp 13 with four big windows, and the windows are one of its best features...
Agree! When we camp at Carlsbad, the view out the big front window of our Scamp is the Pacific Ocean and the sunset. We make sure the tug is parked off to one side.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #133

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
I like big...windows...and I cannot lie. Ironic that we ended up ordering the camper that probably has the fewest/smallest windows per square foot of wall. Our preferred camping style is to be outside as much as possible anyway. We have a canvas tent with a large attached screen room and even that is too restrictive and we hardly ever are inside of it.

In my limited time inside my parents' Airstream (the traditional kind, forget which exact model they had) the pano windows, while gorgeous, just made it really hot inside. No way to get insulating shades for the curved windows so they were stuck with a curtain. Due to privacy concerns my mom kept the front curtains drawn most of the time anyway. If it were mine I'd get a quality ceramic tint to cut down on heat and increase privacy but that still doesn't "solve" the problem completely.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #134

Missouri
in our journeys

we have traveled quite a big I rarely see an airstream most of those have been old! ! I have never seen an oliver or any of those high dollar rigs!

so for the most part are they parked or still at the dealers we live near an airstream dealer I hate to think what his floor plan must cost thus more cost to the consumer!

the fiberglass rv boys have the right ideas don't get 100 setting around costing you tons of money on interest expense and storage when one is completed call your customer who has waited a year and have him come get it if he then doesn't want it there are people waiting and waiting for a quality rig at a decent price.

to think any new product is not going to come at the expense of someone else I not thinking wisely. I have sold, competed and operated businesses all my life and every new venture if it is successful will ultimently knock someone off this is business! look at all the car companies and models now gone!

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #135
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
For those who haven't been around as long as (ahem) some of us, here's a link to Robert's original announcement, when he was designing the Nest and trying to get his venture going. I'm sure since the Airstream acquisition, there are changes, but isn't it cool that the designer is one of us? (You can search on Robert Johans' username and see he did lots of work with different molded fiberglass trailers before he decided to design one...)

Introducing Nest Caravans.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #136
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
And for more detail on the early days (way back in 2013) of Robert's building process...

Nest Caravans - Building a New FG Trailer, Step by Step.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 04-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #137

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I had some conversation with Robert on and off the forum. You have to admire someone who truly wants to build quality first into a project.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #138

Missouri
I cannot imagine just the startup costs with something like this? you either find a venture capilist or sell out to someone with deep pockets to do it! somehow they will have to sell a bunch of these just to recoup that I personally think it will be difficult to do. we will see!

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #139

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Vive la difference!

The Nest, and the exposure and buzz Airstream can give it will expand this small (fiberglass) segment of a much larger RV market that sold over half a million units last year. I would guess the fiberglass niche was less than 1% of that. That is, under 5,000 units.

As they say, Vive la difference! Celebrate the choices. Years ago, many wanted VW beetles, others not so much. It’s all good. Airstream will bring attention to this segment, and expand it. I wouldn’t be surprised if their entry increases backlogs at competitors near term, or prompts new entries. Then again, over time, the ability to sell used units for near what you paid could diminish if production jumps. The market for RVs will be driven by Baby Boomers retiring, now that they are too old, or already own a Harley.

Airstream is bringing innovation to a segment that hasn’t seen all that much. Maybe it's not for me, but I wish them well.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #140

Arizona
Registry
I'm not seeing a lack of innovation, Tom. Oliver, Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, and Happier Camper- each quite innovative in different ways.

I am expecting the production Nest to be somewhat less innovative than Johans' prototype. Did I hear it will have a conventional frame underneath? We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

In my mind the Happier Camper is one of the more daring designs in recent years. Whether it's right for you or not, you have to admire the creative thinking and how fast they moved from concept to production.

All in all, a good time for molded fiberglass.
Closed Thread