Airstream Nest no longer in production? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Airstream Nest no longer in production?

Anyone else notice this note on the Airstream website?

"Nest by Airstream™
Sorry, we're no longer manufacturing this model for purchase."

Here's the link:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Having watched from the beginning, I'm sorry to see it didn't succeed. I wonder how many they sold.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:28 AM   #3

Michigan
Registry
My guess is the Nest did not meet Airstream's profit goal, and it lagged behind the profit level of their other products. Why? Because they didn't sell sufficient volume.

Apparently the Nest did not appeal to buyers given its combination of relatively high price point typical of Airstream, premium materials, lots of included accessories and a refined design.

The Airstream Basecamp on the other hand has succeeded and more Basecamp models have been added. I would say the Basecamp is a better value. It sells at a significantly lower price point, but still has premium materials, lots of included accessories and a refined design.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I looked at them. Very nice camper and good build quality but ridiculously expensive.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Far too expensive and labor intensive for general use. Spending that much money would have gotten you a lot more trailer that was still very nice.
The basic idea of a fiberglass axleless frame was probably unworkable as well.
The problem of the designer and engineer is always the balance between cost and benefit.
If you design something that is too expensive for your customer the result is a very nice "thing" with little or no market.
The trick is to hit the sweet spot where the price meets customer.
Molded fiberglass, while having it's advantages, is not particularly cost efficient when compared to other methods.
They can last a long time, but the average buyer fails to look that far into the future.
The method also requires some compromises in fitting out and insulation each with cost benefit trade offs.
Sorry to see it go, however as it was pretty and we were able to watch it's development here one step at a time.
I hope the designer and "daddy" got paid up front by Thor.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Passed thtough Bend, Or on a holiday and Robert showed me his just completed first prototype,,, Man!! What a beautiful trailer!
Fred
Old 09-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
And another one bites the dust. I guess manufacturing fiberglass trailers is one of those things that looks a lot easier than it is. Their biggest mistake was selling through a dealer network because all the extra expenses and markup make the final product a luxury item. And the trailer was designed to appeal to younger buyers who unfortunately have the least money these days. At least this time there won't be a problem with customer deposits like the long, drawn-out Lil Snoozy dumpster fire.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
HORRENDOUS build quality in all the early units that was even worse than Airstream's current low quality standards really go them a LOT of bad press on these units from the git go. Far too aggressive pricing structure for a new and unproven product was also a huge mistake. Now Airstream is making their last mistake in cancelling the product after fixing most of the early quality issues and not addressing the product naming and marketing issues.

Airstream should have marketed the NEST trailer under a companion product line much like was done with Argosy in the 1970's and what you see so often NOW in the automotive market with manufacturer's differentiating product models such as Toyota did Lexus, Nissan with Infinity and all the others.

Airstream trying to sell a trailer geared for the younger generation at Airstream prices and at Airstream dealers was a huge mistake. Airstream buyer's want to buy an AIRSTREAM SILVER BULLIT not a small "Hipster" trailer geared for today's younger generation. Thor/Airstream outta fire the whole NEST marketing group for such an obvious marketing screw up!

Airstream could not have done a better job at SCREWING UP this product, product launch and product marketing if they tried!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Maybe Robert Johans will take another shot at bringing this concept to market ...
Old 09-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... What would you expect from Thor/Airstream "Bean counters"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Passed thtough Bend, Or on a holiday and Robert showed me his just completed first prototype,,, Man!! What a beautiful trailer!
Fred
Remember seeing Robert J. Beginning concept and build . Not the same interior as Airstream designed but clean and simple inside interior . Beautiful design inside and out . So sad to see a Corp ran it into the ground . We always loved Airstream trailers but also love fiberglass trailers too .Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Maybe Robert Johans will take another shot at bringing this concept to market ...
Why? I remember how he was totally wrapped up in this project on this forum to the point of dismissing anything that looked like criticism, constructive or not. His arrogance might have been fine if he was designing a Ferrari-level supercar but was a bit over-the-top for a mass-market trailer. Robert Johans designed a trailer that was too expensive to build and impossible to sell. Might be time for a career change.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Ran into a Nest in Chirichaua National Monument last March. The lady had been living in it for the past year and had no problems with the unit. It sounded like she had at least 20,000 miles hauling. I was very impressed with its fit and finish, especially with that much use.

Too bad Airstream killed the project.

We have friends that bought one of the first Version II BaseCamps two/three years ago. The fridge was installed in such a way that it can't vent the heat so the fridge fails. Airstream told him after numerous tries to fix, "too bad." I believe the fridge in the current units now has a vent going out the roof. They use a 12v plug-in cooler.

We owned a 2007 16' Bambi. Luckily we hadn't sold our Casita yet, because after three months the Bambi was sold. We also have friends with a 23' Airstream. AS loves to bury items in their smaller units, so if they fail you have to tear apart the camper. I've heard many AS horror stories over the years. It's not can you afford a Airstream, but can you afford to keep up with the maintenance.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
One of the initial interior designs had a counter with a couple stools as the dining area. Terrific if you're eating soup and don't want to talk to your companion, but impossible for board or card games. I never could appreciate the design.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #15

Michigan
Registry
Re: "We have friends that bought one of the first Version II BaseCamps two/three years ago. The fridge was installed in such a way that it can't vent the heat so the fridge fails. Airstream told him after numerous tries to fix, "too bad." I believe the fridge in the current units now has a vent going out the roof. They use a 12v plug-in cooler."

Latest (2021) BaseCamps have electric compressor fridges.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Why? I remember how he was totally wrapped up in this project on this forum to the point of dismissing anything that looked like criticism, constructive or not. His arrogance might have been fine if he was designing a Ferrari-level supercar but was a bit over-the-top for a mass-market trailer. Robert Johans designed a trailer that was too expensive to build and impossible to sell. Might be time for a career change.
It was his creation. Pat
Old 09-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
One of the initial interior designs had a counter with a couple stools as the dining area. Terrific if you're eating soup and don't want to talk to your companion, but impossible for board or card games. I never could appreciate the design.
Glenn we are suppose to sit outside and enjoy nature ! Just a place to work or eat a bite I would imagine. Still loved the simplicity of his design . Less is more sometimes . Pat
Old 09-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #18

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
There is a used one for sale in Alberta, Canada for $66500, pricey!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #19

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Anyone else notice this note on the Airstream website?

"Nest by Airstream™
Sorry, we're no longer manufacturing this model for purchase."

Here's the link:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/
You have a very good "EYE"
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a 16' Scamp that I rebuilt the way I wanted it, but have always liked the looks of the small Airstream Bambis. I have looked at several and I have never seen one that I liked the interior of as much as the Scamp I have.
Perhaps I like the IDEA of the Bambi more than the actual trailer.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote