Airstream Nest no longer in production? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
It looks like Airstream outsourced the fiberglass shells for the Nest.

Yes, there is even a youtube video about Airstream's partnership with Goldshield.

John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #42

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
And another one bites the dust. I guess manufacturing fiberglass trailers is one of those things that looks a lot easier than it is. Their biggest mistake was selling through a dealer network because all the extra expenses and markup make the final product a luxury item. And the trailer was designed to appeal to younger buyers who unfortunately have the least money these days. At least this time there won't be a problem with customer deposits like the long, drawn-out Lil Snoozy dumpster fire.
We have a lot of composite manufacturers in Australia so I think it is a US thing. Even one manufacturer who uses Carbon Fibre and they have been expanding.. Gerry Ryan who owns Jayco in Australia has tried to sell Airstream Trailers in Australia, but he appears to be the only one who likes them
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:28 AM   #43

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Interesting read. I particularly like the story of the fellow who drove 1000 mile to get one of the last units and towed it home with his diesel Porsche. Mileage dropped from 31 to 18 mpg. And everyone seems to like the Oliver but it's too small. I seem to recall someone saying Scamp sells about 400 trailers a year. Hope Thor doesn't buy them out.
To small for Thor. Interesting historical fact Thor was started by a New Zealander, who found 1960's and 1970's New Zealand too restrictive from.a business point of view. So he moved to the US and started aquiring RV companies
Old 09-18-2020, 02:31 AM   #44

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
With all the FG trailer manufacturers that have gone in an out of business, it’s hard to get excited about one more being added to the list .
I suspect that when this current covid induced trailer boom is over more names will be added to the memory books.
Let us be positive more start ups. US is very different to Australia where a new RV manufacturer seems to appear after evety heavy rain
Old 09-18-2020, 06:39 AM   #45

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
It was at about the time of introduction of the Nest that a few people commented that the other fiberglass manufacturers should be looking over their shoulder. The early prediction was that the buying power behind the nest components and the trailer building experience
would make this new unit a serious competitor. Seems now that did not come true.
If you can’t be with the one you love, Honey love the one you’re with.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:00 AM   #46
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Great video. I recall watching the Escape build video and being surprised that they cut the windows out free hand.

Clearly, if you could afford one of these then you probably could afford an Oliver, in my mind a better bang for the buck. I have to wonder if they had been sold factory direct, if the lower price would have made a difference?

If anyone is interested, RV trader has several Nests listed.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
One person in the following Airforums thread mentioned purchasing a new Airstream Nest for $34K. IF the Airstream Nest design, layout, etc appeal to you, that price seems more realistic.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ed-208631.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #48

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Great video. I recall watching the Escape build video and being surprised that they cut the windows out free hand.

Clearly, if you could afford one of these then you probably could afford an Oliver, in my mind a better bang for the buck. I have to wonder if they had been sold factory direct, if the lower price would have made a difference?

If anyone is interested, RV trader has several Nests listed.
I cannot understand why " Nest" type of Caravans are not more common in the US.
This Retro all composite Caravan is the closest to a Nest we have here.
It is called Sportscruiser Site below read constructuon details, chassis and suspension
https://www.sportscruiser.com.au
Attached Thumbnails
images.jpeg-11.jpg  
Old 09-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How is that like a Nest?
There are dozens of those laminate on stick trailers built in the US.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #50

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How is that like a Nest?
There are dozens of those laminate on stick trailers built in the US.
It has nothing to do with them, no wood anywhere from the site.. chassis is steel.
"
Welcome to the new world of innovative caravan construction. Sportscruiser caravans are made with a composite panel of sandwich foam and fibreglass construction for walls, roof and floor. Why? It is first and foremost impeccably strong and super lightweight. Not only that, it’s waterproof, it doesn’t rot, is easy to repair (fibreglass and panel shops), insulates (acoustically and thermally), is flame retardant, and is reinforced with metal inserts where required, for superior build quality."
Old 09-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
From appearances and your description, same stuff, same build is churned out in North America. Where's the innovation? Stick doesn't have to be wood. It's the type of construction.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #52

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
From appearances and your description, same stuff, same build is churned out in North America. Where's the innovation? Stick doesn't have to be wood. It's the type of construction.
It is built like a Scamp or Nest, obviously you did not read about the constructuon on the site. Totally different to anything built in NA. We have another manufacturer who uses Carbon Fibre, you would never see in the US.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:33 AM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
This might be a better presentation of some of the features than what I saw on the manufacturer's site.

https://rvdaily.com.au/boating-tech-...WhgXTocuDSIGs4

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #54

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
This might be a better presentation of some of the features than what I saw on the manufacturer's site.

https://rvdaily.com.au/boating-tech-...WhgXTocuDSIGs4
From that:
On top of this sits a vacuum-bonded composite body, with floor, walls, and roof fibreglassed at the joins to create a strong, sealed unit – like a boat.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #55

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That sounds more like a Helio (made in QC) than a Scamp. There are a couple of members here with Helio O2’s. There was debate about whether they technically meet the definition of an “all-molded fiberglass trailer,” since they’re not made in large trailer-sized molds. They don’t fit neatly into either of the old “stickie” or “molded” categories.

Haven’t heard from either of them for a while. One was having some fiberglass issues- bubbles and voids in the outer fiberglass layer. Seems like Helio had some bugs in their manufacturing process to work out. They are a fairly new company, and I wonder how they are weathering the pandemic.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #56

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That sounds more like a Helio (made in QC) than a Scamp. There are a couple of members here with Helio O2’s. There was debate about whether they technically fit the definition of an “all-molded fiberglass trailer.” They don’t fall neatly into either of the old “stickie” or “molded” categories.
Not a Helio as it is not an Ultralight ( yes we have Teardrop builders), certainly an all molded trailer, but bigger than a Scamp. Scamp like Egg Trailers appeared in the 1950's in Australia and lasted till the early 1960's. Zone RV is another Luxury Boatbuilder that builds all molded Trailers, but they are not remotely like Egg Campers.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Vacuum bonded is the same as molded? Not to me. "On top of this sits a vacuum-bonded composite body, with floor, walls, and roof fibreglassed at the joins to create a strong, sealed unit – like a boat."

Fiberglassed at the joins (seams?) is not molded. Molded is body and continuous without seams... at least to me.

Is a composite body the same as fiberglass? Maybe better, but not the same construction.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #58

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
I believe with vacuum bonding delamination can happen.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #59

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Vacuum bonded is the same as molded? Not to me. "On top of this sits a vacuum-bonded composite body, with floor, walls, and roof fibreglassed at the joins to create a strong, sealed unit – like a boat."

Fiberglassed at the joins (seams?) is not molded. Molded is body and continuous without seams... at least to me.

Is a composite body the same as fiberglass? Maybe better, but not the same construction.
Donna you got it. It is better, a lot better than the older process used on the 1950's Sunliner. Remember they use the process on Luxury Yachts rhat are constantly pounded by the sea
Old 09-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #60

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcola View Post
I believe with vacuum bonding delamination can happen.
No, you do not see this on boats. Older molded fibreglass Caravans did eventually have problems with briittle fibreglass.