Airstream vs Fiberglass - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 03:01 AM   #41

Trailer: 1997 13 ft Scamp Deluxe and 2006 Airstream 75th Anniversary International Bambi Prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
for what its worth, I tow a 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 2008 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad. Combination of the tall all terrain tires and tall TRD suspension and short wheelbase of the Casita SD16 made this very pitchy, such that any bump porpoised and made you downright queasy in the drivers seat. Cure was a minimal WDH, just enough to push some of the trailer tongue weight onto the truck's front axle, The Casita has a 3500 lb axle, and weighs 2200 lbs dry, maybe 3000 lbs with the typical load we put in it, and has only maybe 200-300 lbs tongue weight, so you wouldn't think a WDH would be needed but it made it ride SO much nicer.

I agree, weight distribution almost ALWAYS makes the ride and handling much nicer. But, proper weight distribution not only transfers a bit of weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle but it also transfers some of the tow vehicle weight back to the trailer. And, being that my Scamp has a 2000lb axle and weighs 2480lbs loaded for travel, the last thing I wanted to do was put MORE weight on the trailer axle.

But then again...even with all the different tow vehicles I used with the Scamp over the years, I never had a pitch problem or a freeway buck problem. All the vehicles were pretty stiffly sprung, even the Caravan. The others, even the short wheelbase economy cars towed the Scamp with a great deal of stability; none of them were bad per se; all the hitches were set up properly as were the tow vehicles' suspensions. Again...it just felt like there were 10 of the damn things behind me.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 AM   #42

Trailer: 1997 13 ft Scamp Deluxe and 2006 Airstream 75th Anniversary International Bambi Prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Seems like you've checked a lot of things out Jeff and found nothing wrong. You did say in your post that you're not going to get rid of it so I really have one comment for you. The TTs weight and age pretty much is begging for a new and better rated axle change out. Certainly can't hurt and it's easy for me to spend your money. OK, that was two comments .
No, I will NEVER get rid of the Scamp. When I was basically homeless after Hurricane Katrina, that Scamp saved me. I could NEVER part with it.

I may one day change the axle...if I found a competent shop around here (which is near impossible).

Truthfully I use the Airstream more...and I wish I didn't for fear of scuffing it. I'd like to use the Scamp more, but its relegated again to those trips where the trailer needs to be able to take a little more abuse (such as long dirt rocky roads, Moab, etc.).

But truthfully, the main reason I use the Airstream more is that it is a pleasure to tow; there's never any drama or constant adjusting of anything just trying to make it feel like I'm not towing a train.

I WOULD like to get the Scamp in shape for the next trip; I'm contemplating it. But whereas I'd have to start redoing and fixing crap, finding a competent shop, going through all that crap again that I did for years isn't something I'm looking forward to...when I can just hitch up the Airstream and go.

And, that's too bad...cuz I REALLY love my Scamp.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #43

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Totally understand that Jeff. I'll never let my FG dune buggy go either, my next of kin can deal with that. RVs, boats and any of the toys we like all somewhat end up being a bit of a money pit that we gladly pay to keep up and enjoy. Life is good .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #44

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My Bigfoot has always towed very well. Stable and secure. Even before I understood how to set up the hitch and distribute weight. I remember driving home watching it sort of "float" back there, because I didn't have nearly enough tongue weight. Still didn't feel squirrely, somehow.

Now that I have it nice and level with good tongue weight, it's rock solid. No weight distribution hitch or anything fancy.

Interesting post on the Airstream. I have friends (I'm sure we all do) who drool over them, and I try not to be a party pooper, but it's hard...Other than how cool they look, I've rarely heard good things about them.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #45

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you want a trailer made for someone other than yourself, Airstreams would be your choice. No personal touches, no customizations, no changes to the build, nothing, other than perhaps color or options is available. You may want an extra 12v or 120v outlet installed for a special purpose, no way. If you want to freeze, tying to cool a 15/17/19 foot camper with a 13.500 BTU a/c. It will freeze you and then shut off. Ask them for a smaller unit, no way.
Escape Trailers will customize your trailer, the way you want it. You want to put the bed in the front and dinette in the back, no problem. You want extra outlets, no problem. Extra windows, no problem. Different floor or cushions or countertop, no problem. They make the trailer, custom to your wants, not to the manufacturers wants.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you want a trailer made for someone other than yourself, Airstreams would be your choice. No personal touches, no customizations, no changes to the build, nothing, other than perhaps color or options is available. You may want an extra 12v or 120v outlet installed for a special purpose, no way. If you want to freeze, tying to cool a 15/17/19 foot camper with a 13.500 BTU a/c. It will freeze you and then shut off. Ask them for a smaller unit, no way.
That's not accurate.

While Airstream absolutely has some quality issues and are massively overpriced for what you get, the idea that they do no customization is flat-out wrong.

You just have to pay for it. Alot.

On my Airstream, I had 4 extra non-standard windows added in places I dictated, had the bathroom floor under the toilet done in diamond-plate aluminum, added solar, added extra awnings with the material I dictated, had them install different aluminum refrigerator access doors on the outside of the trailer, had them install custom logos where I wanted, had them install 3 amber central clearance lights on the front of the trailer over the Airstream logo (like trailers in the '70s had), had them design and install some real walnut and oak trim around some cabinet buttresses, had them alter the TV cable wiring, had them add an extra 120v outlet line on the street side, had them upgrade all the cabinet catches, and had them custom design a screen allowing the back emergency exit window to be used and opened like a normal window.

So...while Airstream has a LOT of issues, the idea that they won't customize anything is just flat-out wrong.

You just have to pay for it. Alot.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #47

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Okay, you can customize your Airstream, but at a cost I agree. I wanted a smaller a/c unit than the standard 13,500 but. I was told to purchase the standard unit and then return the trailer to the dealer where they will install a smaller unit. I would have to pay for both units, so yes, but as you stated, you pay a lot for your changes. One can also take the standard Airstream and send it to a customizer who will, as you mention make the changes, at a cost.
But my point was the additional cost for changes to an Escape are small compared to the Airstream.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Okay, you can customize your Airstream, but at a cost I agree. I wanted a smaller a/c unit than the standard 13,500 but. I was told to purchase the standard unit and then return the trailer to the dealer where they will install a smaller unit. I would have to pay for both units.
I'm sure you were told that, but that's not entirely accurate. As long as the smaller A/C will fit, they'll install it. Airstream will do anything you want...for a big price. You can even go to Airstream and literally watch your trailer be built day by day. You could have even brought that smaller A/C with you and had them install it on the assembly line. It's difficult, but you just have to have a good dealer who knows who to talk to.

Quote:
So yes, but as you stated, you pay a lot for your changes. One can also take the standard Airstream and send it to a customizer who will, as you mention make the changes, at a cost.
The customization of my trailer was done at the Airstream factory.

And, I'm not really defending them...alot of the work they did was sub-par and the experience was not good dealing with them.

But, they WILL customize anything you can imagine.