Alaska Bound - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Alaska

Linda,

I thought the trip to Alaska was a lot easier than Labrador though we had no major issues in either case.

The only spare parts we carried were brake pads and a fan belt. You can be nowhere and need a fan belt. We also carry a SPOT on way out trips that allow us to call for assistance where ever we are.

One advantage of a pickup truck tow vehicle is that they are everywhere and spare parts as well . In Labrador the nearest Honda dealership was often more than 500 miles; fortunately in 7 years we've never had a single problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Joy A. here.........I always carry extra stuff for the trailer, rivets, wheel bearing, fuses etc.. What I did do for Alaska was add some of that clear plastic stuff to protect the front of the Scamp even though I had mud flaps across the back of the Jeep. I placed it from the bottom up to the belly band and from the door around to the refrigerator door. The underneath of the trailer was fine, needs nothing done to it.

As for tires, simply carrying the normal spare for the tug and trailer is fine. However, I would recommend that you make sure the trailer tires are new or next to new as 13 trailer tires can be hard to come by.

I didn't carry extra gas however I think in this economy I might do so if I were traveling to Alaska. Maybe just one 5 gallon can. I'd imagine some of those little gas stations I stopped at may be close now. I found gas pretty much very 100 miles in 2006 and also never let my tank go below 1/2. Better to be cautious.

Now for the tug...I aways have jumper cables, an air pump, fuses etc. I did add to my stash a fan belt and air filter. I thought they might be something that could be hard to come by. If I had a problem with either a simple backyard mechanic or handyman could install them for me. Push came to shove I could it. I carry a tool box.

I made a gravel guard for the Jeep out of hardware cloth and PVC which I tied on the front with zip ties. It was a little overkill but did come in handy one time when an oncoming Semi toss a large rock right up into what would have been the grill. My windshield faired OK with exception of a large ding, again from an oncoming Semi. I still have that windshield and "badge of honor" ding, from the Alaska trip on the Jeep. People always ask when I'm going to have the windshield replaced, obviously not very soon. The ding is just a large blob that isn't in my line of sight, with no crack traveling, as often they do.

People have heard lots about the Alaska Highway but it's a piece of cake. 90% of it and all the other roads you'll travel are fine paved highways. I worst part of the highway is from Whitehorse to the Alaska border. I don't recall anything else but there could have been a few frost heaves in. I don't think so though. My recollection is that the nasty part started on the north side of Kluane Lake to near Beaver Creek.

I can't speak for the Top of the World Highway as I opted not to pull my trailer over it and was glad I'd made that decision. Lots of people I spoke with implied it wasn't worth the effort. The road out from Chicken to Tok evidently isn't not all that great. Several said they had to dodge trees right in the middle of the dirt/gravel road.

My dog, Lily, had an intestinal problem by the time we got to Fairbanks so I didn't do the Dalton highway. Had I considered doing it I would not have taken the Scamp. I was considering a simple drive up as far as the "Circle" but again didn't do it.

I willy nillied it and did just fine finding campsites however, I recommend that you make sure you have reservations for campinng if you are near Anchorage or Seward on the 4th of July. Also it's a good idea to have reservations for Denali. I found most campgrounds were not even 1/2 full and I imagine the economy now might have some of them closed but surely not full.

Just be sure to take it slow and have lots of time. I took 2 1/2 months to do my trip. I figured I'd never get back there. I do think about another trip maybe some day as I surely enjoyed it.

PM me if you have any questions.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
LLN

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 2010
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thank you Joy

Thank you for taking the time to log a very detailed response and give great advice. I have enjoyed reading your forum trip report. In fact, it gave me the incentive to take the Scamp to Alaska. Prior to that I thought I was going to have to finance a small truck camper for the journey--ground clearance. I am taking my two Golden Retrievers along, Bedford & Emmie. One of the reasons I purchased an RV was so we could travel with some flexibility. I have been to Alaska but flew there in conjunction with military duties in the early 1990's. I promised myself I would return one day by making the drive there. Well, that day has come. I am reaching a bench-mark birthday and the Goldens are getting older too. I will take a break from two part-time jobs and make the trek. We start from Flagstaff, Arizona, the 2012 Overland Expo. I have planned for Adventure Trailers in Prescott to make mods to the Tacoma: ARB bumper, Old Man Emu Shocks, and Firestone air-assist rear leaf springs. I will also work to get some onboard air. As I learned once before, line up all the onboard gear, suitcases, and cut the load in half. You are right parts are essential. I use to carry more parts than clothes when I drove the Land Rover. Nobody had parts for it.

Linda
LLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #24

On board air is not a bad idea. I presume you are talking in the tug!!!

I left home here in CA, just north of Yosemite, June 5. I'd say the trip was mighty warm all the way to Liard Hot Springs, first 8 days of travel. I traveled with the back window down for Lily and my driver window down for me and occasionally had the air on while traveling. With older dogs you might want the air on more than I had.

Liard Hot Springs was the absolute hottest stop. Plus virtually the only place I encountered really pesky mosquitoes. I started the generator and plugged the trailer in, then Lily and I spent most of the time at Liard in the trailer.

There's a nice SP in Fairbanks which is nice along the Chena river and with just a few mosquitoes.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #25

Florida
Alaska mosquitos and temperature

We went to Alaskain 2003, a particularly warm year in Alaska. We never turned our AC on. Mosquitos are interesting. We also went to Laird Hot Springs, swam in the springs and never saw a mosquito.

We only saw significant mosquitos in one place in Alaska and that was at Wonder Lake in Denali located at mile 92 on the parks road. We spent a good part of the day there and protected our selves satisfactorily with deet.

Denali is of course a must stay. There are a few camping areas within the park. The furthest into the park that you can camp is mile 30. By camping at mile 30 bus rides around the park are shorter. If you hope to see the mountain you statistically have to stay 3 days because that most magnificant mountain is only visible one day in three.

We absolutely loved Denali and was worth the trip alone. On our bus rides we saw 18 grizziles, one stood up in front of the bus, actually frightening because you can come upon one when hiking about......

Since we we're up that way we took a side trip to the North west Territories. We did run into a true mosquito swarm in a provincal park.

Sometimes I think we're mosquito lucky...

I will say that we put screens on the inside of refrigerator vents and the like. Nothing drives me crazy like a single mosquito buzzing around inside the trailer while attempting to sleep.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Joy, what kind of gas mileage do you get with your Jeep? Does it change substantially while towing?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #27

Melissa,

People see all the pretty pictures of the huge mountains in Alaska, well they are georgous but you dont' drive in them. The roads are actually at low elevations. Summit Lake is the highest point on the Alaska highway was maybe 4,000 ft. I can't remember but it wasn't high at all and then you were back down low. There really weren't that many up hill pulls of any significance.

My mileage was normal and maybe a little bit better because I wasn't in the altitude like I am here in CA. I just looked at my mileage log for the trip and I averaged 15.8 mpg. That's pretty normal for pulling the trailer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Wow! That is fantastic! I dont average that here in Flat Florida towing with my V6 Toyota minivan! A couple of years from now when my oldest is off to college maybe I should look into a Jeep and it tows 5000 lbs! So few SUVs do any more.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #29

Florida
ALaska Steep runs

The only long steep run I remember was the drive from Whitehorse down to sea level Skagway. Actually a beautifully scenic run with a stop at Carcross mandatory.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Onboard Air

Hi--Joy, I have A/C with the truck, but I also want to see about adding an air compressor for airing up/down. I guess if it has enough CFM I could use an impact wrench to remove lugnuts. Anyway, I am going to talk to the off-road guys at the Overland Expo, Adventure Trailer company, about a unit they could recommend. Always wanted an aircompressor. Good to know about the weather an potential heat. I have been investing in warm clothes and a warmer Wiggy's sleeping bag. I may be too warm. And I have heard from you all about moquitoes! I did not do that well when confronted with the black bitting flies. They raise lumps and those bleed. Mean little things/black flies. Experienced this in Labrador. I never thought about having mesh screen material along to cover vents on the outside to keep them from coming into the trailer.

Linda
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #31

Florida
Another mosquito entry point

One night we saw a mosquito coming down the space around a vent handle.

As to clothing we never needed anything more substantial than a wind breaker and a sweater. we were there from June to August.

We carry a small air compressor designed for RV tires and a bottle jack. They do make battery powered impact hammers though I've never tried one. It may be simper to carry an extesion for a breaker bar.

In the Yukon Cottonwood is a fine campground right on Klaune Lake. They sometimes make homemade bread, call ahead and ask.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Great thanks!

Extension bar, yes that really does work. Great to know it is not going to be that cold. And maybe a little disappointing. We really haven't had much of a winter in central Pennsylvania. I had the snowblower serviced so we may not see any at all. When I first bought the snowblower a few years ago, we went without snow for three years. The Tavern owner Keith, thanked me profusely. Appreciate the added comments--most helpful. If I buy too much gear, I won't have money for the trip.

Linda
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #33

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
<snip> If I buy too much gear, I won't have money for the trip.
I agree that a lug wrench like: Gorilla suits your stated use and travel budget. Compressors capable of running pneumatic tools are very costly, typically limited to dedicated offroad fourwheelers in remote locations where such tools are often used during trailside repairs. An engine belt-driven Sanden or York air conditioner compressor is installed where an OEM A/C compressor would normally be. You'd spend a lot and likely give up your Toyota A/C too. I carry a continuous duty rated compressor in my jeep on trail runs for re-inflating tires before driving on pavement. Its portable, but heavy and fairly costly: Extreme Outback Compressor. I keep this smaller version in my tow vehicle: Q Industries MV50 Compressor, which IMO is well suited to maintaining TV and trailer tire pressures. There are cheaper alternatives, including at Harbor Freight etc...

DirtDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #34

My air pump is now in the garage as I recently purchased a Black & Decker Electromate 400. It's a rechargable power station. It is a Jump-starter, Air pump and a power supply with 1 a/c and 1 d/c outlet, plus a light. It gets charged by simply plugging an extension cord and then into any a/c outlet or you can plug it into your cigarette lighter in your tug and charge it while traveling down the road. I plan to make a pig tail for it which will connect to my solar panel when I'm dry camping. But then I can always charge it with generator. Obivously, I don't lack for power.

I actually had been wanting a jump starter in case no one else was around and need a jump. I saw the Electromate 400 last year while at the Quartzsite gathering and knew that's the one I wanted. Compact and is multi-purpose. The Electromate 400 is under $100 at Home Depot.

I'm just a little 5' 2" gal and can get lugs nuts off. I have one of those cross bar type lug wrenches. You can get better torque with them than the straight ones, which lots of vehicles come with. I also carry a rubber mallet which does the job if I run into a stubborn lug nut. Have hardly ever used it. An actual air compressor for pneumatic tools such as, impact wrench would be too heavy and take up too much room.

Another option would be a 12v impact wrench. They work good. I had one, but after carrying it around for several years I found it in pieces. Yes, pieces. The day I went to use it in my driveway I found it in pieces in the box. It literally came apart from simply bouncing around in the Jeep for several years. I purchased it at Harbor Freight, it was not expensive. Made cheap, obviously. One day, when I remember, I'm going to purchase another as when I put mine back together it just didn't want to work.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Extension bar, yes that really does work. Great to know it is not going to be that cold. And maybe a little disappointing. We really haven't had much of a winter in central Pennsylvania. I had the snowblower serviced so we may not see any at all. When I first bought the snowblower a few years ago, we went without snow for three years. The Tavern owner Keith, thanked me profusely. Appreciate the added comments--most helpful. If I buy too much gear, I won't have money for the trip.

Linda
Say you might be surprised this year with weather in Alaska. They are about the only ones getting lots of snow. Abnormal amounts in some places. It just might be a great year for their state bird the "Mosquito". Well, it not really a bird however some people have said they've seen very large ones. The few I saw in 2006 were normal sized.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Generator Size & Type

What size & type of generator do you all recommend for the small 13 ft trailer?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #37

Florida
Light

A most interesting aspect of Alaska is the amount of Daylight. It always seems bright.-You have to force yourself to go to bed. If you can't stand sleep when it's bright get something to cover your eyes.

As a partial result the daytime and night time average temperatures are not that different. For June, July and August the typical average high is in the 60s and the average low is around 50.

We also carry a jump starter in our tow vehicle, it was a gift when we started out. I thought it was a waste but we ended up using it at every now and then as well used it to help others.

My most used tool is my Leatherman all purpose tool. I use it at least once a day and don't go out without it. We also carry two walking sticks and light rain jackets where ever we go. We sometimes hiked in the rain.

When we got to ALaska we also bought a can of bear spray. It's not uncommon that at trail heads you'll see signs that say Grizzilie seen on trail today at 10 AM....

When we went north in our small trailer we did carry a 1000 watt generator as well we had the ability to charge the battery from the tow vehicle. Now with solar panels I doubt I'd carry a generator.

We also carry a tire repair kit for nails and the like. We've used it once in 10 years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #38

I have a Honda 2000 generator. The generator has to be enough to start the air conditioner. The majority of Fiberglassers have the 2000 as it is plenty. Not sure I'd carry a generator if I didn't have the air conditioner.

I had a microwave in the trailer but just recently took it out since I really rarely use it. Mostly for heating things up. Well, I can do that on the stove. I might decide to put it back in if I go on a lengthly trip.

My solar panel is 55 watt.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #39

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Linda
my wife and I went up thru Alberta into b.c. the Yukon territories a big loop thru Alaska to the arctic circle in Alaska and the Yukon. we needed extended rear mud flaps. the front of the 13 foot Big Foot we were in, has much damage from the dirt roads; (hundreds of chips in the glass finish) my brother in law had rubber bolted onto the existing mud flaps, that extended down almost touching the ground, and his had no damage, and no mud, from bottom to the top curve, we were 2 months July 15 thru Sept 20

later kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Northern Loop

Again, thanks all. I do have an A/C installed on the Scamp. I guess I need to consider solar vs. generator or both. Also, I am going to drive the northern loop, so the flying-mud information is important. Alot to consider. The Tacoma has four good size mudflaps as part of their package, but they are not all the way to the ground in length. Again, appreciate the input. I have been printing all of your comments and then makin margin notes in a notebook.