All Finished...for now LOL - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
All Finished...for now LOL

She's all compounded, polished, waxed and shined! Replaced all the rusty stainless screws and missing snap caps, removed rust caused by those screws, conditioned all the rubber around the windows, sanded/painted/lubed the stabilizer jacks, oiled all the wood on the inside, replaced all interior and exterior lights with LEDs, and ordered a new door seal as our foam one has disintegrated. Now she's all covered and tucked in at the storage facility. Winter projects will be sand and paint the bumper and tongue, recaulk windows, belly band, vents etc, paint the sewer hose storage tube, remove gravel shield hardware and clean/paint cuz they're rusting too. Gotta wait for cooler weather to return in Dec. and our HOA to simmer down lol.

Oh any my Christmas present is gonna be installing the new style screen door so I'll post when my current one is removed and ready for a new home if anybody needs one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200511_151304323.jpg   IMG_20200511_150522597.jpg  

melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #2

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
California
I've spent the winter working on mine, and can appreciate work involved. Always need to look forward to a post camping season project.

Speaking of which ... have a great season with your trailer.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Idaho
It looks spectacular! I was totally exhausted just absorbing all of the things you did. I have to assume you did not accomplish all of that in one weekend. Nice job!

I waxed half of my 17' this morning. The rest will wait till either later in the day or tomorrow.

Now I am anxious to get on the road and enjoy my new acquisition.

Happy Camping to you.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks! No, it took us about 4 days to get it all done. All the while upsetting our HOA more and more lol. This is the first maintenance items we've had to do other than washing, tires and bearings lubed. Had her cover not disintegrated and left her exposed while Hubby was recovering from his heart attack she would not have needed compounding. The rust issues are just part of living in Florida. Thinking of coating the tongue and bumper with the bedliner spray to eliminate rust in those areas at least.

Memorial Day weekend (also my birthday) we are going to the Eggs on the Hiawassee Rally and can't wait! Trailer went from oxidized and moldy to presentable and proud again lol. Hopefully ebody can get out camping soon, I think our minds and souls need it!
Old 05-13-2020, 05:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot
Registry
Last year I built a new bumper for my trailer. I decided to try using bedliner instead of paint. I figured that stuff would be bullet proof. It was not. Keep in mind I didn't paint the bumper just put bed liner on. Well we do a little winter camping and the couple times we ran on salted roads the bumper started rusting. Seemed like the bedliner was pretty porous. I decided to remove the bedliner and just do red oxide rust primer followed by Tremclad rust paint. Well that bedliner was a pain to remove. Most things just smeared it and didn't really remove it it just sort of melted. I finally used some 3M strip it discs on a grinder and got it off. Just thought I would give you a heads up if you ever need to remove the bedliner and repaint it will be more difficult then paint. And beside do a proper primer and paint under the bedliner.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #6

Florida
Oh wow thanks for the heads up! Will have to rethink this now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
Last year I built a new bumper for my trailer. I decided to try using bedliner instead of paint. I figured that stuff would be bullet proof. It was not. Keep in mind I didn't paint the bumper just put bed liner on. Well we do a little winter camping and the couple times we ran on salted roads the bumper started rusting. Seemed like the bedliner was pretty porous. I decided to remove the bedliner and just do red oxide rust primer followed by Tremclad rust paint. Well that bedliner was a pain to remove. Most things just smeared it and didn't really remove it it just sort of melted. I finally used some 3M strip it discs on a grinder and got it off. Just thought I would give you a heads up if you ever need to remove the bedliner and repaint it will be more difficult then paint. And beside do a proper primer and paint under the bedliner.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #7

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Hi Melissa,

Scamp looks great. What did you use to get that beautiful shine back on your Scamp? I purchased a 2010 19' 5th wheel and the top has no shine at all. Tried fiberglass cleaner and wax but to no avail. Happy Camping in 2020 we hope lol.
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

Florida
We used Meguiars One Step Compound and Polish #67. Bought a variable speed polisher and wool bonnets. Compounded the whole thing then used Meguiars Pure Wax Canuba Blend #56 then last Meguiars High Gloss Polish #45. She is now covered so hopefully in the future it will just be regular waxing.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Currently shopping
Idaho
Your Scamp looks terrific! I recently purchased a neglected 1999 16ft Scamp that was left outside uncovered for several years. How much of each product did you use? I'd like to make an order.
denswaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #10

Florida
Hi Dennis! We used about half of each product but since you have a 16 and we have a 13 and yours was kept uncovered more than the last 2 yrs it might take a bit more. I'd say start with one bottle of each unless it's on sale then grab a second. Not like it will go to waste cuz you will continually be keeping up the exterior. Good luck! Post before and after pix! Take your time, don't wear yourself out trying to do it all at once.

I just noticed your from Idaho. When my Hubby retires in 4 years we plan on moving to Wallace ID or somewhere in that area. Is that anywhere near you?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #11

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Registry
Can someone please explain to me the different types of things used to bring fiberglass to life? I was thinking of buying a set of Meguiar's for restoring fiberglass that has #49 oxidation remover, #56 pure wax, and #45 high gloss polish. Do I need the oxidation remover? Should I get the compound too? If I get the compound, do I do oxidation remover, then compound, then wax, then polish?

I'm sorry, I've never had a boat and we used that floor wax technique on our Scamp. Looking at the Bigfoot, though, I think we'd rather polish it up correctly if we can. We're not sure if she'll shine up on her own, though, since she's over 30 years old. Should I get the smaller kit to test and see?

Thanks for your help! Yours looks GREAT!