All reserveable campground, a new trend? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In line with being an old fart, don't get out much, andI don't use services that apply fees, I'm curious: Is there any other instance where beyond paying for the service, you have to pay a fee to do business? Do airlines, concerts, sporting events, etc. charge a "reservation" fee?
Obviously, you don't get out much.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My casual understanding...
Federal law limits liability to fifty dollars for credit card fraud and most card companies will waive that in the event of fraudulent charges.
This makes the system possible.
Without these limits, it would be cash only for me.
Still, I keep a separate card for many on-line purchases to protect my primary card from the inconvenience of a possible incident.

The same is not true for debit cards, for which you are at the mercy of your bank.
Also...Recent banking rule changes require that any challenge to a bank account balance shortage must be filed within 60 days of the transaction.

This is, of course, the internet which should be an adequate disclaimer!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #43

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Some credit cards have a "Shopsafe" feature that permits you to create a one use credit card with a unique 16 digit number, 3 digit security code, and a credit limit that you specify. An image of the credit card is created on your computer: there is no physical plastic card. In the event that a vendor's system gets hacked this protects the bank more than it does me but I find it comforting nonetheless.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #44

Registry
Quote:
In line with being an old fart, don't get out much, andI don't use services that apply fees, I'm curious: Is there any other instance where beyond paying for the service, you have to pay a fee to do business? Do airlines, concerts, sporting events, etc. charge a "reservation" fee?
I'm with you on this.
I recently attended a fiberglass rally in Michigan. The state park reservation fee was $8, the daily penalty for being from out of state was $9 dollars and the nightly charge (electricity only) was $24.
Our average night's lodging for the last ten years is roughly equal to the reservation fee alone.
It is clear that Michigan's tourism ads are a "tourist trap". They have even awarded private organizations the right to impose "taxes"on private businesses, ostensibly to promote tourism. At one time they actually thought that "Its good to be alive here" was the best they could do to attract victims .
I'm starting to see all of Michigan as about as attractive as Detroit as a tourist destination, even though the state has some gorgeous destinations and many fine folks who practice great hospitality.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I find up here in BC Canada, that lots of places are being reserved by RV rental Companies for overseas customers. Even in our little town we have a hard time getting in at our local campground. Total BS.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
I find up here in BC Canada, that lots of places are being reserved by RV rental Companies for overseas customers. Even in our little town we have a hard time getting in at our local campground. Total BS.
That's not actually true. BC Parks released the numbers and overseas customers were a small percentage, less than 1/2 of one per cent.

Tour Operators Booking Campsites in BC Parks

There has been some recent media regarding the ability for commercial operators, specifically Recreational Vehicle (RV) rental companies, booking BC Parks camping sites on the Discover Camping Reservation system. BC Parks has always been aware that RV companies have booked reservations for their clients. Commercial operators do not receive preferential treatment to reserve campsites and are not allowed to book blocks of sites. All park users (including commercial operators) have to follow our policies and procedures when booking reservations.
In 2015, the total number of reservations made by commercial operators is believed to be less than half of one percent of the total reservations made.
BC Parks takes allegations of unfair camping reservation practices by tour companies very seriously, at this time, we do not believe this is a common practice but take this possibility very seriously. BC Parks has launched an investigation to gather the facts about this matter.
UPDATE: Minister Polak addresses Discover Camping reservation service. Read the full article here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/11494
Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #47
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm with you on this.
I recently attended a fiberglass rally in Michigan. The state park reservation fee was $8, the daily penalty for being from out of state was $9 dollars and the nightly charge (electricity only) was $24.
Our average night's lodging for the last ten years is roughly equal to the reservation fee alone.
It is clear that Michigan's tourism ads are a "tourist trap". They have even awarded private organizations the right to impose "taxes"on private businesses, ostensibly to promote tourism. At one time they actually thought that "Its good to be alive here" was the best they could do to attract victims .
I'm starting to see all of Michigan as about as attractive as Detroit as a tourist destination, even though the state has some gorgeous destinations and many fine folks who practice great hospitality.
Add Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas to your list. Montana too. We stayed at a Montana campground with no water. $28/ night.. Luckily there are lots of Forest service campgrounds in these state, especially the U.P. We have just passed through but next year we may have to explore the nooks and crannies.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Add Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas to your list. Montana too. We stayed at a Montana campground with no water. $28/ night.. Luckily there are lots of Forest service campgrounds in these state, especially the U.P. We have just passed through but next year we may have to explore the nooks and crannies.
A couple more states that have high priced state parks - California ($35.00 for a dry site & pay showers at Burney Falls), Washington + ($ 8 - $10 reservation fee, $5.00 out of state & pay showers. The last time I looked at a water & electric site at Wenatchee Confluence State Park, it was over $50.00 per night).

On the other hand, New Mexico sites are inexpensive, as well as SOME state parks in Texas.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #49
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
A couple more states that have high priced state parks - California ($35.00 for a dry site & pay showers at Burney Falls), Washington ($ 8 - $10 reservation fee, $5.00 out of state & pay showers. The last time I looked at a water & electric site at Wenatchee Confluence State Park, it was over $50.00 per night).

On the other hand, New Mexico sites are inexpensive, as well as SOME state parks in Texas.
We stayed at Kodachrome in Utah a few years back. $10 and the only thing the gal needed was our name, our state, and our plate number. Your home state could learn something from them. .
Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #50

Registry
Just had to laugh... at 4PM I received an E-Mail from the Michigan DNR titled ...
"Showcasing the DNR: Fall camping and lodging"
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
We stayed at Kodachrome in Utah a few years back. $10 and the only thing the gal needed was our name, our state, and our plate number. Your home state could learn something from them. .
I'll be the first to admit that NY is another one of those annoying states that charges an out-of-state fee, and, since they use Reserve America, require lots of info the first time you use it. After that, all they need is a phone # to sign into any state park.

As a resident, I appreciate free park admission Monday through Thursday for residents over 62.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:13 AM   #52
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I'll be the first to admit that NY is another one of those annoying states that charges an out-of-state fee, and, since they use Reserve America, require lots of info the first time you use it. After that, all they need is a phone # to sign into any state park.

As a resident, I appreciate free park admission Monday through Thursday for residents over 62.
We used to spend time at Fish Creek/Rollins to access the St Regis Canoe Area. The campgrounds were a little like going to the Jersey shore on a Saturday but once you got on the ponds you had them to yourself. We're training the dog but she's not ready yet. Maybe next year.

I think everyone should have Reserve America in their retirement portfolio. They're going to run the country soon.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #53

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We almost exclusively use the reservation system for our camping. It makes me anxious to head off on a trip and not know if the campground we plan to stay at will have a site for us. I've already started making our list for the next year, and the day reservations become available, I will be on line reserving our spots (I've already reserved for next July along Minnesota's North Shore). I've only had to cancel reservations three times in the past ten years, and each time, the minute I know we can't use them, I cancel them. I like the reservation system, and with kids in school and activities and both of us working, it's nice to know that when we've planned to go camping, we have a spot to go. I might feel differently once we are retired and travelling more leisurely, though
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I usually book for weekends if I am out, but week days I just wing it. Summer time I always book, but shoulder seasons I just wing it during week and week ends. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #55

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That's not actually true. BC Parks released the numbers and overseas customers were a small percentage, less than 1/2 of one per cent.

Tour Operators Booking Campsites in BC Parks

There has been some recent media regarding the ability for commercial operators, specifically Recreational Vehicle (RV) rental companies, booking BC Parks camping sites on the Discover Camping Reservation system. BC Parks has always been aware that RV companies have booked reservations for their clients. Commercial operators do not receive preferential treatment to reserve campsites and are not allowed to book blocks of sites. All park users (including commercial operators) have to follow our policies and procedures when booking reservations.
In 2015, the total number of reservations made by commercial operators is believed to be less than half of one percent of the total reservations made.
BC Parks takes allegations of unfair camping reservation practices by tour companies very seriously, at this time, we do not believe this is a common practice but take this possibility very seriously. BC Parks has launched an investigation to gather the facts about this matter.
UPDATE: Minister Polak addresses Discover Camping reservation service. Read the full article here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/11494
Thats fine in print not in practice
Old 09-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #56

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
Her we are in the glorious computer age. An age where Reserve America Florida State Parks can not make a same day reservation. I don't like it!!!!!! I do like to go and see an area and maybe stay with out planning. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a walk in but we have had good results most of the time.
The computer systems are supposed to help not hinder, they have had them now for 30 years you would think they could handle a same day or for that matter an anytime reservation,just what is the problem?
That is my rant for the day.
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #57

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Her we are in the glorious computer age. An age where Reserve America Florida State Parks can not make a same day reservation. I don't like it!!!!!! I do like to go and see an area and maybe stay with out planning. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a walk in but we have had good results most of the time.
The computer systems are supposed to help not hinder, they have had them now for 30 years you would think they could handle a same day or for that matter an anytime reservation,just what is the problem?
That is my rant for the day.
The reason you can't is that there would be a lag time between someone driving in, taking that site, registering, and the attendant entering it into the system, and you might get there to find the site taken or get a message saying your reservation was cancelled. If there are to be drive-up sites available, same day reservations are a problem. (Well, they could have the same-day reservation up to about 10 am but that wouldn't help most of us and I saw the campground folk out marking reserved sites earlier than that this past trip.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #58

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
If there is no incentive to cancel a reservation, like getting some of your site fee refunded, people are not going to cancel. If it will cost me as much to cancel as not, why bother. Sounds like a poorly thought out policy that makes no sense. We do try to cancel a reservation if our plans change, because we hope others do also, so a spot will open up if we are looking last minute for a spot.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #59
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
The reason you can't is that there would be a lag time between someone driving in, taking that site, registering, and the attendant entering it into the system, and you might get there to find the site taken or get a message saying your reservation was cancelled. If there are to be drive-up sites available, same day reservations are a problem. (Well, they could have the same-day reservation up to about 10 am but that wouldn't help most of us and I saw the campground folk out marking reserved sites earlier than that this past trip.)
In South Dakota there was no attendant. There was a phone at the park we stayed at. The phone was direct to the central reservation location. They controlled occupancy for all sites. This allowed for same day reservation. If you called the 800 number on your phone the process was the same except for a reservation fee. Use the parks phone, no fee. At the Army corp campground you use your phone, no fee for same day, uses reserve.gov/ reserve america.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #60

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
In South Dakota there was no attendant. There was a phone at the park we stayed at. The phone was direct to the central reservation location. They controlled occupancy for all sites. This allowed for same day reservation. If you called the 800 number on your phone the process was the same except for a reservation fee. Use the parks phone, no fee. At the Army corp campground you use your phone, no fee for same day, uses reserve.gov/ reserve america.
That's a good idea. Not how it works here, though. If there are openings in the campground they'll often tell you to find a site without a reserved sign and then come back and register for it. (In Oregon I was assigned one sight-unseen but as it turned out to be a lousy place to back a trailer next time I'd insist on looking!) Sometimes there is no attendant and registering means dropping an envelope in a slot- so no way for the central reservation system to know that same-day slot is taken.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote