All veterans now granted Lifetime Pass to Parks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
All veterans now granted Lifetime Pass to Parks

Effective tomorrow, all veterans and Gold Star families now qualify for a free Lifetime Parks pass,
http://https://www.npr.org/2020/11/09/933277526/veterans-and-gold-star-families-granted-lifetime-passes-to-national-parks

Edit: After a bit more research, I think this will apply only to entrance fees and not to discounts for camping or gift shops often provided with the geezer pass. Still, as a vet (Sgt, US Army 69-70), its nice to see the recognition.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I’m very happy to hear about veteran discount at the parks. Thanks for the link.

Interesting thoughts on greed and camp stores. I didn’t know there was real money to be made in that line of work. Maybe we should force proprietors to operate using prescribed pricing established by the state. Or better yet, the state should subsidize the operation of camp stores in case the prescribed prices can not sustain the operation. Some smart outfit can audit the operators to really understand what is going on and the provide instructions on how better to market and operate the business. Of course there would be a fee for those required audits. The best option would be for the state to run the stores themself and use tax dollars to make sure that I’m happy with the prices and service. Or we can vet the proprietors so only nice and selfless people run the shops. Or let’s just close them all down so nobody complains.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Hi there, Al,
On this Veterans Day, thank you for your service. And glad veterans are getting this recognition, which they earned.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Effective tomorrow, all veterans and Gold Star families now qualify for a free Lifetime Parks pass,
http://https://www.npr.org/2020/11/09/933277526/veterans-and-gold-star-families-granted-lifetime-passes-to-national-parks

Edit: After a bit more research, I think this will apply only to entrance fees and not to discounts for camping or gift shops often provided with the geezer pass. Still, as a vet (Sgt, US Army 69-70), its nice to see the recognition.
This is a bit confusing since the geezer pass is also called the America the Beautiful Pass on the back side of it. The article does say there are no discounts for camping, etc like the geezer pass. Or in my case my geezerette pass. The lifetime pass for military must look different somehow from the regular America the Beautiful pass.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post

Thank you and all other vets for your service. It's easy to forget there are people who have put themselves in harms way so we can lead our day to day lives. In a perfect world, there would be no need. But we can't seem to figure that out. Thanks again. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I spoke with a friend who works for the NPS and his understanding is there will be no actual pass issued to veterans. Instead, they need only show proof of service which most of us have on our driver's license (for states that make such a designation) or an ID card issued by the VA (available at no charge). He works at Cape Hatteras NS which doesn't have an entrance fee but thinks it will handled similar to the existing passes where everyone in a private passenger vehicle would be admitted at no charge if anyone can prove veteran status.

Lisle and Raz - thanks for the kind words.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Parks Pass

Thank you for alerting us to this perk. Also thank you for serving during those trying years. (Sgt Dan Lumsden, US Army '65 - 68)
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #8

Name: CalCop
California
I’m a proud veteran US Army 71 to 78
I wonder what this new perk will do to the NPS budget
I also wonder how the gold star family members will be handled
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #9

Name: CalCop
California
Well here’s the answer for gold star families

“Before visiting a national park site, Gold Star Family members download and print a voucher to present to the ranger or place on the vehicle dashboard at unstaffed sites. By downloading and signing the voucher, Gold Star Family members are self-certifying that they meet the required criteria as identified in sections 3.2 and 3.3 “
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #10

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Veterans pass

Disabled veterans fill out the paperwork and pay a one time fee for postage/processing and get a real lifetime hangtag and ID card.
Attached Thumbnails
25E0933B-30EF-422C-A098-352112810CB5.jpg  
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote