AM/FM portable radio. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've not found a radio to replace my Sony SRF-S84.
I've searched for a digital tuning equivalent but no luck.
It has no speaker, only ear buds. I cut one bud off so it doesn't get tangled and I can hear what's going on around me. Runs forever on one AAA battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 3.07.37 PM.png  
Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #22

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
This is quite a quite a choice of radios. I like the Sangean radio most of you have recommended. I went to the C. Crane website and their radios are also amazing.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #23

Texas
AM/FM portable radio.

The good old days Glenn. Those were the great radios.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Glenn B, I too have enjoyed Sony pocket radios.

-But I migrated to the Sangean DT-120. I bet I've had nearly half a dozen of them. Not because they aren't top notch, but even great radios wear out, or fall into lakes. Seems to me one did survive a washing machine. It has 5 AM presets and 10 FM presets.

The tuning section of the small DT-120 compares well to car radios and stereos. I've used them extensively in buildings full of steel and concrete. If the DT-120 won't get reception, nothing will. A few years back they updated them, now they take two AAA batteries instead of one.
If you search "Sangean pocket radio" on Amazon, you will find a range of models, several are new. I haven't tried the DT-160 models, but the reviews look good.

PS, I read a handful of the DT-160 reviews, and they were excellent, particularly for FM. Also, several Sony owners had adopted them.

Check out the DT-120CL (clear case) and think about who buys those? They are a favorite in let's say, "Correctional Institutions". My Momma, who is in for life, is on her 3rd one of those! (just kidding). The clear case lets guards examine it, the single battery design is unbelievably frugal, and it uses an earpiece, which avoids fights. Very clever.

The only part of the Sangean I didn't love, was the ear pieces they provide. Easily solved.

Enjoy!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #25

Texas
AM/FM portable radio.

This last week I went to Discount tire and gave three tours of our Casita. Then we camped at the Davis Mountain State Park and our neighbor had a huge 5th wheel with outdoor kitchen, radio, TV, satellite, and speakers on the outside. Actually there were three families camping together. They were really nice people and we ended up joining them and had a great time.
There was also a Boy Scout troupe next to us. We also really enjoyed watching them. The scoutmasters taught them how to chop wood with an axe and start a fire. They also used Dutch ovens to cook. The father and son bonding was amazing. My wife and I really enjoyed watching these boys camping.
I've never understood why someone who doesn't like other people and noise would buy an RV. Camping in an RV with propane, heater, leds, electric water pump, solar panels, batteries, full size bed, and then complain about electronic noise. Hahaha!
My wife and I also do tent camping. We'll hike 6 to 10 miles and then camp. We still hear airplanes, gun shots and off road vehicles out in the country. Life's to short to be bitter all the time.
Happy Camping
Marky
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The Sangean H-202 seems to fit the bill. A bit larger than I was hoping for, but has weather and bluetooth. 10 presets is plenty, as when travelling I tend to rely on the search feature most. I don't necessarily need the waterproof feature, but it couldn't hurt. My Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2 bluetooth speaker is waterproof too.

H202 : FM / AM / Weather Alert / Bluetooth<br>Waterproof / Shower Radio

On amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/Sangean-Americ...luetooth+radio
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #27

I wish a web site would post the actual dimensions of the Sangean DT-120 and other models. I'd like to compare with my Sony. I bought a Nexxus ( I think ) from The Source. Chews through batteries ( two AAA ).
Old 08-02-2017, 11:44 PM   #28

Texas
AM/FM portable radio.

The Sangean DT-120 from their website.
The DT-120 is a small PLL-synthesized AM/FM stereo radio that's small enough to fit in a shirt or jacket pocket, and powerful enough to pull in those distant AM/FM stations. It measures 2 by 3.7 by 0.7 inches, and weighs only 2 ounces, making it portable enough to take anywhere. Great radio, but It doesn't have a speaker.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Be careful with the CC Radios.

My father had one and I had two of them. Two of the digital LCD screens failed and the other one developed a squeal that made it unusable. All eventually went into the trash.

In the beginning they worked very well, but turned out to be short lived junk.

I look for older Sony or GE radios at garage sales and have found a few beauties for less than $10. I recently found a GE Super Radio for $7. Manual tuning and antennas that are not broken are a must. They just work and keep on going. Even better if they have an external antenna connection.

I find that for camping, constantly new areas and possibly fringe areas, the manual tuning works very well and is easier to scan for stations.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #30

I think I'll wait until this Sony bites the dust.
It measures 3" X 1 1/2" X 1/2" ( excluding the clip ).
The only aggravating factor is the analogue tuning.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:58 AM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
In addition to the little table top radio I mentioned, I also bring a Sangean
DT-400W along when traveling. Besides AM and FM, it has all the NOAA weather stations and includes an alarm for severe storms that you can leave on while sleeping. It has a Public Alert alarm for police type emergencies. It fits in a shirt pocket and has earphones as well as an external speaker. The earphones act as the FM antenna, but they supply a short wire that fits the earphone jack if you want FM and use the speaker. The audio quality is as good as can be expected with a small speaker. It has a good solid feel in hand, not cheap like some I've owned. A little spendy, but feature packed. Around $60 currently in the jungle (Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-40...RGQQWMW4W5Z6DV

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I meant to include this picture:
Attached Thumbnails
71xhxHetlQS._SL1200_.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:40 AM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you plan to use your radio daily especially for long periods like listening to sporting events get one with big batteries. AA batteries won't last long.

Also, your trailer is filled with noise sources, devices that produce radio interference. Your converter, fan, even LED lights will all produce signals that will interfere with receiving over the air broadcasts. This is more likely to occur on AM but FM can be effected to. You might want to check your trailer to see how bad the noise is using a radio you already own. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #34

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
There are a number of tiny little speakers that have their own power source if a radio doesn't have a speaker and they sound real nice for their size. I use one on a 1980's something Sony Walkman AM FM radio.https://www.walmart.com/ip/AYL-Porta...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've not found a radio to replace my Sony SRF-S84.
I've searched for a digital tuning equivalent but no luck.
It has no speaker, only ear buds. I cut one bud off so it doesn't get tangled and I can hear what's going on around me. Runs forever on one AAA battery.
I don't believe you can still buy these new, but there are a few used versions on Amazon. I got it for jogging; it takes a fair amount of abuse. Digital tuning, long battery life & a lock button that shuts off all the controls but volume. Mine is 7 years old & still going.

Sony SRF-M37W Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black)
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #36

Texas
I've narrowed it down to the Sangean cparharley2008 (Jim) uses, it's the Swiss army knife of radios or the Sangean PR-D18BK most people to use. The real deal breaker for most radios is the rechargeable capability that can't use ordinary batteries. I find most rechargeable batteries only last 2 years. The problem is that the manufacturers make newer models with better batteries and the older batteries are discontinued. I have cameras, vacuums, a set of drills, weed eaters, circular saw, jig saw and chain saw that have had the rechargeable batteries discontinued. I would rather use AA rechargeable batteries or ordinary alkaline AA batteries in a pinch.
We use the radio for the news and on Sunday when we can't get to church to listen to the gospel or electronic noise as someone put it.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #37

Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Marky, here is the rechargeable Sangean I mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D1...sangean+prd+15

It takes 6 "C" batts and will run 35-40 hours on a charge. I use mine every morning for an hour or so. It takes about 5-6 hours to get fully charged. Nice radio, and should serve you well when you're not in church or keeping the kids off your lawn.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #38

Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The Sangean DT-120 will fit any pocket. It is 3 5/8" x 2" x 5/8". I used to recharge batteries, but the Sangean was frugal enough that I just buy alkalines on sale. If I was replacing it, I would read all the reviews for the newer DT-160. It seems to have a better FM tuner, especially in selectivity. As long as the AM side doesn't suffer, I'd look into it. You will enjoy either.

Raz,
I used to get two weeks of nearly constant listening from a single AAA battery in the single battery DT-120. Remember, you are not driving a speaker, only earbuds. For that radio, order the clear version DT-120CL. Battery cost was not a factor, and I am cheap.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #39

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
Gotta toss in my vote for Sangean. Been using my portable DT-400w (pictured in previous post) for a decade of daily local hiking where no other brand (Panasonic, Sony, Grundig...) will pick up signals. Dropped it too many times and it's fine. I'll replace with same when needed.
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #40

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you want to put it into a cabinet, run it off of battery power and don't plan on moving it around why not get a car stereo? Get one with easy to access aux inputs and also blue tooth. Be sure to get one with HD radio stations as well as the standard FM channels. You can get them with satellite radio which would be a great thing to have in remote areas that have poor radio reception.

Some of them even have DVD players built into them which you could hook up to a bigger display screen for your home theater needs. Unfortunately I have not seen one with digital TV tuning because that would certainly make for a terrific all in one entertainment center for an RV.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote