AM/FM portable radio. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
AM/FM portable radio.

I want to buy an AM/FM portable radio and am wondering if anyone knew of a good one with a good receiver and audio. I'm not looking for chest pounding bass or 1000 watts of sound. Just clear sound. Some of the camping areas we stay at don't have wifi or cell signal and a radio would be nice.
I looked around and found crank charging radios for $10 and cheap portable radios. I'm looking for something small, so it'll fit in the Casita cabinets. I don't want a Shortwave radio, boom box, or a desktop model, but a battery operated model. I'd like to hear from people who actually own one and what they think about it. I'm old school and enjoy listening to mostly AM.
I did find a Sony radio for $19.99 at Best Buy, but it had to be ordered, so I couldn't try it out.
Thanks guys!
Marky
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too am looking for an AM/FM radio, but am looking primarily for a receiver and for the most part would like to play it through a Bluetooth speaker.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have an AM FM weather band with an auxiliary input for the mp3 player. The weather band is very handy when in hurricane or tornado prone areas. Uses 4 D cells that last a very long time.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
I have several models of Sangean radios including this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-...=sangean+radio

They are all nice radios and pull in stations very well and offer very good sound. They all have digital tuners so will lock in the frequency. I'll never buy an analog radio again. Check the different models to see how many batteries they take - some more, some less. I have the rechargeable one too and it will run for 35-40 hours on one charge depending on volume.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hard to go wrong with Sangean high performance radios

I am a radio fan, I don't watch tv. I've owned many Sonys, Panasonics, and GE Superadios (The new GEs aren't as good). Decades ago I became aware of a California firm named C Crane & Company that specializes in high performance radios. The vast majority of their radios, and Radio Shacks high performance radios came from one firm. That firm is Sangean. Sangean sells under their own name and private label. Bose radios are also excellent. More HiFi, less compact.

I would recommend digital tuning over analog. There are some advantages to analog, but I like presets. Get one with a large enough speaker to generate the volume and fidelity desired. In your RV, you might as well incorporate a clock radio feature.

Check this model out. Great value, but their whole line up is top notch:
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D1...G0/ref=sr_1_5?

Sangean radios are widely available online.

The PR-D9W includes the weather band. That does make sense. It is recharcheable and has 19 presets. It has snooze and dual alarms.

Sangean has at least two bluetooths. The WR-22WL is a nice tabletop model.

AM/FM Radios | C. Crane
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have had this Sangean for awhile, sits on my dash while driving for weather reports, even has built in solar.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TD4FCY..._t3_B00FK0AEG0
Attached Thumbnails
511Ie-V3yxL.jpg  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
We use a sony ICF-38. Works great small and good price
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

Name: Gene
Trailer: 2022 Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Crane has the best quality

I'm a retired radio guy. 39 years and I've seen them all. I also recommend Crane.

AM/FM Radios | C. Crane

As in everything, you get what you pay for. Expect to pay around $100.00 for a good quality AM/FM.
Gene680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Yup, mine was made by Sangean.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #10

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
I use a Grundig YB400PE YB for Yacht Boy. Radio Shack sold them. You can find used ones on Internet. They are AM, FM Short and long wave. I chose the YB for it's performance but use it only AM and FM only. FIND one in the box with the manuel and other things with it. Many features, many live aboard boaters use these units for AM, FM and sideband receicers.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

North Carolina
PS. The YB400PE is small.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
I use a Grundig YB400PE YB for Yacht Boy. Radio Shack sold them. You can find used ones on Internet. They are AM, FM Short and long wave. I chose the YB for it's performance but use it only AM and FM only. FIND one in the box with the manuel and other things with it. Many features, many live aboard boaters use these units for AM, FM and sideband receicers.
I have a Yacht Boy too and it is a nice quality radio. But, I find the controls are not very intuitive and are difficult to navigate. Mine is old so maybe they are better now.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #13

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
AM/FM Radio

Here's a link to a pretty cool Sangean radio on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-TB-10...ywords=sangean
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have always been impressed with the quality of sound a reliability of the Panasonic products.

You might even find some decent ones for very good prices in the thrift stores. At least you can try them out at the store but do take along some D and C cell batteries just in case they don't have any on hand.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #15

Registry
I keep looking for campgrounds where electronic noise devices are not allowed. I'd rather listen to birds or the wind blowing in the trees or water running down a nice stream. I go camping partly to get away from the noise not to bring it with me.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I am a radio fan, I don't watch tv. I've owned many Sonys, Panasonics, and GE Superadios (The new GEs aren't as good). Decades ago I became aware of a California firm named C Crane & Company that specializes in high performance radios. The vast majority of their radios, and Radio Shacks high performance radios came from one firm. That firm is Sangean. Sangean sells under their own name and private label. Bose radios are also excellent. More HiFi, less compact.

I would recommend digital tuning over analog. There are some advantages to analog, but I like presets. Get one with a large enough speaker to generate the volume and fidelity desired. In your RV, you might as well incorporate a clock radio feature.

Check this model out. Great value, but their whole line up is top notch:
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D1...G0/ref=sr_1_5?

Sangean radios are widely available online.

The PR-D9W includes the weather band. That does make sense. It is recharcheable and has 19 presets. It has snooze and dual alarms.

Sangean has at least two bluetooths. The WR-22WL is a nice tabletop model.

AM/FM Radios | C. Crane
Marky, I agree with what Tom said. We have the red & white model to match the Scamp, but it comes in Casita blue and white. Rugged build, compact , and decent sound...
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D1...n%2Bradio&th=1

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #17

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I also have a Sony-ICF-38 and am real pleased with it. Its AM/FM great reception and it will run on AA batteries and it also has cord tucked into the back if you want to plug it in. It will fit into your cabinets without a problem.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #18

North Carolina
I just checked the price of the Yacht Boy, used, at the difference in price that Seagean looks pretty good if the performance is there.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #19

Registry
One thing I've discovered those that play a radio in camp grounds are very smart and excellent ESP. They know exactly what everybody want hear.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #20

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Michigan
I just went through the search for a good quality AM/FM radio, since we will soon be leaving to pick up our new Escape 19. I found this site to be very helpful, because it contains reviews of radios in a wide range of prices by a serious hobbyist who knows his stuff.

https://radiojayallen.com/

I ended up purchasing one of the C. Crane radios that Tom mentioned. I chose the CCRadio-2E, which has digital am/fm, weather and a 2 meter ham band, often used during emergencies. It runs on ac or batteries. Though on the expensive side ($170) so far, I love it. Bought it on Amazon.
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote