An adventure with my Coleman Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
An adventure with my Coleman Air Conditioner

I think it is important for us to be able to laugh at our mistakes and some of the dumb things we do. The following is one such event. I post this for everyone's enjoyment of some of the things newbies do.

I have not had the opportunity to make much use of my 2019 Casita. I have never, prior to this trip, been in an RV park. I never wanted to visit one. My interests have been strictly boondocking or camping off grid. My desires and goals in this regard have not changed. As such, I have only used my Coleman AC one time when I first picked it up in Rice, Texas in late 2019. I was visiting family and plugged into their shore power. I have not wanted or needed to hook up to shore power again prior to this trip.

Regardless, I was persuaded by relatives to join them for a week in an RV park just outside of Marysvale, Utah. The details of my experience there are another story.

I arrived early and the RV park owners were very accommodating and allowed me to move into my spot several hours prior to the normal check-in time. I set up everything with few hiccups.

My family did not arrive until late in the day. Their truck was seriously overheating on all of the up hill grades. They were forced to stop frequently to allow the truck engine to cool off. So I was left to my own devices until they arrived.

It was a bit on the warm side. I believe the outside temperature was well over 90. There was absolutely nothing at this RV park to catch my interest, so I decided I would lay down and rest until my family showed up.

My best description of the RV park was "boring". Imagine yourself in a large parking lot for RV's in the middle of the desert with a single, very young and small tree for each RV. I was the only FG trailer in the park. All of the RV's were large RV's, toy hauler's, and high end motor homes. Talk about David and Goliath.

I was perspiring buckets. I have a Coleman Air Conditioner installed on my Casita. It works wonders if you have a generator or shore power. However, I forgot the remote to turn it on (or so I thought). I sweltered in my hot trailer cursing myself and using some vocabulary, which I try to hard to avoid, because of my stupidity in forgetting the remote. I had the MaxAir fan on high in the exhaust mode and one of the windows open. That helped move the air some.

I fell asleep. My family arrived, set up, and then one of them came over and knocked on my trailer door. I was awakened by surprise. I explained my plight and how disgusted I was with myself for forgetting the remote. Their AC was working perfectly, which I very much appreciated. They have a 40 foot 5th wheel pulled by a Freightliner tractor.

On to the next morning.

I was up early, had my bath, was dressed and ready for the day. My relatives were still just getting up and were not yet ready for me to join them. So I laid back on the full sized bed I have in the rear dinette. As I lay there, I was looking up at the Coleman AC Unit. I was really disgusted that Coleman had absolutely no controls on the AC unit itself. I was also very angry at myself for forgetting the remote.

I had my glasses on and as I was looking up at the AC unit, I read the large label on the unit that said "Thermostat Controlled". I got up and went over and set the thermostat to Cool and do you know what happened? The AC unit came on! Now I was really upset with myself. Have you ever had one of those moments where life just hits you in the face? They say you learn from your mistakes. I seriously doubt I will make that mistake again!

I have some other stories to share as well all in the vein of good humor and giving everyone something to at least smile about.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
My home generator wouldn't start one time, so I pulled the float bowl off and there was no fuel.

So I pulled the float and float pin out and no gas.

So I pulled the inlet hose off and no gas.

???

So I pulled the hose off the fuel shutoff and no gas.

So I pulled the gas tank off to empty it and remove the clogged fuel shutoff valve, and...

The tank was empty.

It turns out that the fuel-level indicator has an E and an F, and if you keep it for 20 years, the bottom of the E might get scraped away, and although it LOOKS like an F it does not mean Full.
AlanKilian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Sometimes I wish there were little icons on this page like on FB -- I just want to put a laugh beside both those stories.....
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Sometimes I wish there were little icons on this page like on FB -- I just want to put a laugh beside both those stories.....

Here, I have quoted you. The icons are available on right.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 9.21.07 AM.jpg  
Old 07-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Aha -- when I use more than "quick reply" --

Thank you. I learn something new everyday!!
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #6

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Reminds me of the time I forgot I had chained my Honda 2000i generator to the back of my pickup. Pulled it across the campground that night before I noticed smoke pouring up from behind the truck. After tumbling end over end, it was still running when I finally realized what I had done. Shut it off and checked the oil and it started on the first pull. Beat up the case but it is still running to this date and has just under 2000 hours on it. It's like a Timex Watch and just keeps running. I have a second one with 700 hours but the older one is my go to generator. Great little generators.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

Idaho
Learning is always good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Aha -- when I use more than "quick reply" --

Thank you. I learn something new everyday!!

I was told that as long as you learn something new each day, that means that you are still alive and not in the grave. Most happy that you are alive!
Old 07-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #8

Idaho
Similar experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Reminds me of the time I forgot I had chained my Honda 2000i generator to the back of my pickup. Pulled it across the campground that night before I noticed smoke pouring up from behind the truck. After tumbling end over end, it was still running when I finally realized what I had done. Shut it off and checked the oil and it started on the first pull. Beat up the case but it is still running to this date and has just under 2000 hours on it. It's like a Timex Watch and just keeps running. I have a second one with 700 hours but the older one is my go to generator. Great little generators.
Had something of a similar experience years ago. Put a Epson dot matrix printer on the seat of my motorcycle in the back of my truck. Forgot about the printer and headed off down the road. So did the printer, on its own path. I picked up all of the pieces, put the printer back together and had several more years of service from the printer.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I usually consider myself handy, but one time our dishwasher stopped working. No idea why, checked the breaker, and the typical stuff, nope. So my wife called in an appliance repair person. He came in, flipped the light switch on the backsplash above the counter over the dishwasher, and it worked just fine.

Had to pay the minimum repair charge to get that switch flipped. I was certainly NOT handy that day.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote