An Introduction from Maureen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 1987 Burro 13 ft
Hello all,

Yes I'm new. I just bought a 1987 Burro 13 ft/Great Condition/Everything works~~ Get this, I stole it for $100, the lady wanted to give it away. She paid around $2000 for it a few years ago, never used it due to intimidation of towing the thing. It was originally owned by her stepfather who bought it from the Sac City Showroom. Basically I am the 2nd owner. Everything works, it is clean/spotless inside. I am a big camper girl with a 30 ft coach as my regular camper. I couldnt let this one slip by. It is so cute and I am so looking forward to the sprucing up of it.
Maureen Gummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow.. you got a great deal!!! thats like hitting the jackpot!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Please let me know if you ever want your money back.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
no no no Ron, The lady deserves at least a finders fee. I would give her 200 for it.

Thats a great find Maureen! You are gonna enjoy it! Please post some pictures for us!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Please let me know if you ever want your money back.
Ron
Well, guys ~~ lets get one thing straight. It is a not sell for now. Can anyone point me to Values of a Burro? Just curious I guess. It is original and has all the original paperwork even.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980

Maureen

In my opinion a good cleen 13FT Buro would be a great buy at $3000. I have seen them go for much more.

I would like to up the offer Gina made. Hows about $300.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #7

do I hear $600

Old 04-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You might want to be careful. If you were to start using the Burro you might not want to go back to that 30 ft guy.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #9

Registry
$459.72 and not a penny more!

For ones that are fully dressed (A/C, Fridge and all the other bells and whistles) AND are in *like new* condition, also not very old (An 87 isn't in the great scheme of Burros.. most we see are early 80s) 4k would not be out of the question. It is the top of the scale for a 13 tho.

It would have to be prisitine and have some extra niceties to get that, however. 2k-3.5k is typical of the sale prices we have seen. Whether the price is worth it, thats not for us to judge.

As mentioned.. guessing at value is difficult, these things are SO individual, that we couldn't factor in all the details and come up with an accurate idea.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ah... but proximity wins... Maureen, you just give me a call with your sub $1,000 best price, and I'll be over in a couple of hours!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #11

Well im home from work and playing now.

Both burners on the stove lit with one match!

Fridge is cold below 40 and freezer is frozen! Yeah! The fridge was my biggest worry.

Who knows what about the little catalytic (sp?) heaters? It comes on and seems to operate properly with the thermostat but no heat. Now my big camper has to have plenty of LP to pressurize the furnace enough to heat. Could it be the same for the burro?

Also, whats the best for cleaning the exterior?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Who knows what about the little catalytic (sp?) heaters? It comes on and seems to operate properly with the thermostat but no heat. Now my big camper has to have plenty of LP to pressurize the furnace enough to heat. Could it be the same for the burro?

Also, whats the best for cleaning the exterior?
Before you get too far into worrying about the Cat heater, you probably would do well to make sure your propane tank is full. It's just one less thing you'll need to be concerned about, although if your stove lights, generally the Cat will too.

Cleaning... Gelgloss brand RV wash and Gelgloss gel coat cleaner/wax work pretty well to take grunge off the gel coat and restore the shine (eventually). I don't recommend using a pressure washer, particularly around the window and other thru-hull seals as it's possible for the pressure to dislodge and remove the old caulk/sealant causing a leak that you didn't have before.

Roger
Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Before you get too far into worrying about the Cat heater, you probably would do well to make sure your propane tank is full. It's just one less thing you'll need to be concerned about, although if your stove lights, generally the Cat will too

Roger

Thanks Roger you are most helpful. I wont actually even ever use the heater. Why pay for LP when the DNR can pay for my little ceramic heater to run electric.

The gal I got it from also said the water tank leaked. Yep it does. There is a broken fitting on the line (easy fix) 99cents at Menards. So far so good this is awesome. I knew this little gem would be an interesting little investment. I just didnt know it would be such a good one.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #14

Registry
Maureen, try lighting the stove and, with supervision, of course, let the burners run for 4-5 mins..

Leave the burners going, THEN see if the Cat lights. I had the exact problem with mine, and did this on someones recommendation.. it worked great.

The lines to the heater are the longest ones on this rig.. they need a little extra to get them to bleed if it has been sitting for awhile.

Oh, and since the tank leaks.. I drop my bid to 429.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #15

Most of the pics I have seen do not have the fiberglass ?thingy? over the front window, this one does. Was this an option or have most just gone by the way-side?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I am glad that someone in central Iowa snapped that up. Where in Iowa, may I ask? I only ask because I have a conference in Des Moines in June. Not a problem at all to stop by and relieve you of the trailer. You might not have the space to store it with that other big guy. Besides, I grew up in Iowa, went to college there for 3 degrees, and love the state. Us Iowans need to stick together. It would make a great little sibling to my 16' UHaul.

CindyL
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Hi Maureen! Great buy! (I just love understatements).

If you are talking about the Gravel Shield covering the front window they were probably an option. Visit the defunct but ghostly appearing Burro website and you'll see that they were an option a few years down the line at least. In fact, some were outfitted with just the front ones for protection. Mine also had a rear one, for what purpose I'm not really sure except for privacy?

Be wary of some of the offers you have gotten here. The shame of it all: even moderators get into it. Most are really well known "trailer flippers," although I'm still trying to finish my psychoanalysis of individual members, because I realize each individual is different. I would never stoop to something like that.

$549 and that's my final offer.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hi Maureen.
Sorry you have been harassed by the members of this forum.
Enjoy your new find. Quickly

$1,000 - sight unseen!

Fred
Fred Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #19

Maureen, don't listen to these guys... gravel guard indeed... it's actually to keep these people from seeing how lovely the interior of your new find really is. Per is really one of those wacko Burro owners, so you can't pay any attention to him at all. (Oh, and NEVER ask him how much a Burro weighs... he's got so much wiring in his, if he stripped it all out and made a ball, it'd probably be the size of the moon) So... my offer and two hour cash delivery of that cash remains on the table...

Roger
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #20

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Maureen: see what kind of surreal universe you have entered!

Roger used to have a 17' Burro. Sold it, and has been on a regret trip ever since. He does touch on one of the unique benefits of the double-hulled Burros: easy to wire.

And Roger: I am conscious of weight and always try to compensate when I add something. Why, the other day I removed some of the vinyl striping I had put on some time ago.

Actually everyone, I believe Maureen has likely gotten the message that her Burrito is somewhat of a bargain.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote