An update from Lil Snoozy Land - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I believe Floyd is talking about it stored, not running. Correct?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I believe Floyd is talking about it stored, not running. Correct?
Correct!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Can someone remind me what kind of axle the Snoozy has? Is it a torsion, or leaf springs?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If the center upsweep is any indicator, it looks like a torsion-type.

The Snoozy also has surge brakes rather than regular electric if that's any concern for you.

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0011.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #25

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Doesn't bother me that the proscenium divider between bed and board disappeared. Is there more or less storage (I don't mean a duffel bag shifting from floor to sofa to bunk) in this new layout? Looks like "low-use" only under the "twins" as the walkway between is necessarily pretty narrow.

Does the access to the interior of the bed platforms face the aisle or is there access under the under cushions? Anyone have the interior width of the Snoozy? Bit confusing as the listed width appears to to measured to outside of fenders. Is anyone "fit to be [grid]tied" over the all electric. Are customers with no experience of LP not missing it? How's that work out with customers who do?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The all electric issue was one reason I sold my Nest Egg. It seems a lot of state Parks, particularly here in Pennsylvania, limit electric to "Non-Pet" units. Thus the solar and propane flexibility is beneficial.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Generators and Public Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Doesn't bother me that the proscenium divider between bed and board disappeared. Is there more or less storage (I don't mean a duffel bag shifting from floor to sofa to bunk) in this new layout? Looks like "low-use" only under the "twins" as the walkway between is necessarily pretty narrow.

Does the access to the interior of the bed platforms face the aisle or is there access under the under cushions? Anyone have the interior width of the Snoozy? Bit confusing as the listed width appears to to measured to outside of fenders. Is anyone "fit to be [grid]tied" over the all electric. Are customers with no experience of LP not missing it? How's that work out with customers who do?

jack
Being an electrician I kind of like the all electric approach . The problem in my area is the fact that a lot of the county & state parks do not have electric available at the camp sites and non of the public parks (state county or municipal) allow generators. I find LP to be a necessity if only for refrigeration and heating water when electricity is not available
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #28

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Being an electrician I kind of like the all electric approach . The problem in my area is the fact that a lot of the county & state parks do not have electric available at the camp sites and non of the public parks (state county or municipal) allow generators. I find LP to be a necessity if only for refrigeration and heating water when electricity is not available
As I have said in other threads, Lil Snoozy being an all electric camper manufacturer need not be a deterrent to a persons interest in their product. They offer a really nifty "Propane Ready" option that allows a propane company located a few miles from their plant to do a retrofit in a minimal amount of time and at a very reasonable cost. Lil Snoozy is not insured for propane installation but is always eager to please their customers. After taking delivery, you simply drive down the road a few miles and the propane company can install your propane and appliances in less than two hours!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #29

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
As I have said in other threads, Lil Snoozy being an all electric camper manufacturer need not be a deterrent to a persons interest in their product. They offer a really nifty "Propane Ready" option that allows a propane company located a few miles from their plant to do a retrofit in a minimal amount of time and at a very reasonable cost. Lil Snoozy is not insured for propane installation but is always eager to please their customers. After taking delivery, you simply drive down the road a few miles and the propane company can install your propane and appliances in less than two hours!

Can't beat that, Bill.
The nicest thing I love about the Snoozy, besides the owners (I've met both father and son), is the HUGE windows! IT made the Snoozy so bright inside. BTW....I'm 6' 5", and I had no problem with room inside the Snoozy. They sure have come a long way with their decals....etc.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #30

The interior width is 6.5 feet.

Surge brakes would be undesirable for a cargo carrier because the weight changes constantly. I've written to Nicholas for a price quote and specified that normal electric brakes would be desired for the cargo hauler I'm after. It would seem simple enough to delete the surge unit and add a 7 pin plug, so a controller in the tow vehicle could apply the brakes instead of an inertia device.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #31

Registry
Good idea...

Frankly, I think that surge brakes are a bad idea in any kind of towing except perhaps for rental outfits that have to deal with folks that don't have controllers...but I'm very conservative in that department!

Francesca
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #32

Yes, being able to apply trailer brakes without tug brakes is a great safety tool should sway ever start.

I'm still waiting for someone to say what kind of axle is under the Snoozy.... maybe an owner? In the back of my mind I think they are torsion axles, but I am no longer sure.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Mike, Snoozy does use rubber torsion axles, but have Disc brakes activated by surge control unit. If electric braking is desired, I think magnetic/drum brakes would have to be used. Does anyone know if electric disc brake are available for trailers?
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #34

Registry
Disc brakes are hydraulically actuated but there are methods of "converting" them to electric/manual actvation via an onboard brake controller. Here's one such method.

For trailers as small as ours I think there's little gain in using disc brakes, but there are those who disagree.

I wonder if the Snoozy's available with standard electric brakes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they got their frame/axle assemblies from a boat trailer supplier and that they all come with surge-type drum brakes due to some preference for drum over disc in marine applications.

Francesca
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Francesca, their web site pictures shows disc. Disc brakes work much better than drum brakes when wet. I don't know about preferences when it comes to salt water though, as materials used for disc might not like the salt.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #36

Registry
So they do come with disc- thanks, David!

Francesca
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #37

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
So they do come with disc- thanks, David!

Francesca
Yes, they do have disc brakes, and yes they sit on a boat trailer.
I asked Alan if they had the floating versions yet. He said it would float if the door under the bed was sealed and the back door was sealed. lol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #38

Thanks for the axle and brake info. I had forgotten completely about the disc brakes, but now I recall having heard it before.

It can float, eh? We'll have to see about a transom and an outboard motor!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yes, being able to apply trailer brakes without tug brakes is a great safety tool should sway ever start.
I understand the logic, but I have never had any reason to want to manually apply our Boler's brakes. We don't use any kind of weight distribution or anti-sway device, and there is nothing special about the trailer.

Between the Boler, a club's travel trailer, various borrowed flat decks, a couple of car transporters, our utility trailer, and a U-Haul rental, the only time I have had a sway issue was with the old travel trailer being used to carry equipment to an event which had been unloaded and re-loaded without being unhitched, so I didn't notice that someone had piled everything at the back - it had negative tongue weight and I had a tense few seconds on the highway!

A drag 'chute might be a handy backup for high-speed brake failures, but I don't carry one...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #40

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Does anyone know if electric disc brake are available for trailers?
As Francesca explained, light trailer disk brakes (meaning the calipers) are hydraulic, and an electric-over-hydraulic actuator (such as a Dexter DX) allows them to be run from an electric controller. Heavy trucks and their trailers have air-actuated calipers when they use disk brakes.

There is a direct electrically operated brake caliper design which works very well and is intended for motor vehicles, but would be great for trailers. Unfortunately, it has not made it to production; trailers would not be a sufficient market (especially since the system would be very expensive by trailer standards), and the motor vehicle industry is not ready for "brake by wire" yet:
Siemens VDO Electronic Wedge Brake
There are no electric calipers for road vehicles (either motor vehicles or trailers) in production.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote