An update on my fiberglass camper boat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
An update on my fiberglass camper boat

I made a video of it... although it's totally empty on the inside.

I'm paying a fiberglass shop to do most of the work as I'd like to be actually using the boat before I'm dead of old age

And the original floorplan but I'm still not sure what I'm doing on the inside. Suggestions are welcome for sure. It must have a shower and flushing toilet - the missus requires it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210505_101826377_HDR.jpg   floorplan.png  

dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #2

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi, what you want is a cabin cruiser that you find at a boat dealer. With that cabin layout, you use a porta-potti and the lake for bathing.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nice! Looks like another hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass into which you pour money. Sounds like you're going to have a sweet boat/camper when you get it done. Have fun with it, you're going to get attention at camp grounds for sure.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For a real toilet and shower you require holding tanks with a macerating pump (because they’re below the waterline you can’t have a gravity dump) and a hot water system.

Think porta potty and a solar shower you use on deck.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Alabama
Was thinking of one of these - https://www.thetford.com/product/c403l-cassette/

In conjunction with a shower pan - https://www.campervan-hq.com/product...r-pan-27-white

The toilet would get emptied overboard if in an appropriate location or otherwise into a toilet at the marina.

The gray water tank would just get pumped overboard. That would never be anything more problematic than old coffee.

Thoughts?

Old 10-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Suggest you look at boating regulations.
Or, maybe just hang your butt over the side, after you've bathed in the lake.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I once had a Yukon Delta fiberglass house boat. I could see the waterline through the fiberglass when in it. Get it in the water and go fishing, you will love it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:44 AM   #8

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
An update on my fiberglass camper boat

Hi very interesting boat . I can only guess what the response would be if you were arriving at desert campground with the boat in tow asking for a site . It would be a mob of people trying to get pictures & videos of it.
Make it yours and enjoy camping in it . You will now doubt make many new friends in your travels when you drop anchor in a park somewhere wet or dry.
Best wishes on your project , Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
Was thinking of one of these - https://www.thetford.com/product/c403l-cassette/

In conjunction with a shower pan - https://www.campervan-hq.com/product...r-pan-27-white

The toilet would get emptied overboard if in an appropriate location or otherwise into a toilet at the marina.

The gray water tank would just get pumped overboard. That would never be anything more problematic than old coffee.

Thoughts?
I can’t imagine that boat being seaworthy in any waters in which dumping of poop is permitted. Nor am I convinced it’s an acceptable practice anywhere. So you’ll have to bring it back to shore for disposal. A cassette toilet seems feasible. It’s basically a very fancy porta-potty.

I am not familiar with marine regulations regarding grey water. I presume you’ll be using this mostly in inland fresh water lakes and rivers, maybe also some protected saltwater bays and estuaries. Do you have space and access under the floor to mount a holding tank?

The stock layout seems well thought out. I assume the bunks in the forward cabin make daytime seating for passengers. Not sure how much room you can steal for a larger wet bath. It’s hard to gauge actual dimensions from your photos. Is the whole cabin floor a single level or is there a step-up? How is the floor constructed?

Remember anything you add that wasn’t there before increases its displacement. Do you have any information about the maximum loaded weight that hull can safely handle?

I’m wondering about the small wheels. They seem like they are made for short local transfers from home to water, not long distance highway cruising.

I’m also thinking you might want to get the boat water-ready and give it a “sea trial” before you put too much into rebuilding the cabin.

Very interesting project! Keep us updated as you progress.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #10

Alabama
Grey water.. I'll likely just pump it over board and it won't be anything that is a problem. For recreational boats there are no regulations.

There is zero space under the floor. The cabin is a single floor. In the video I walk inside and you can see.

Yeah the wheels are awful and to make it worse you can't put a full size wheel because of the boat height on the trailer. Basically I have to keep it under 55 or risk a burnt out bearing.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #11

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Yeah the wheels are awful and to make it worse you can't put a full size wheel because of the boat height on the trailer. Basically I have to keep it under 55 or risk a burnt out bearing.
Looks to me like you could raise the fenders a bit and have room for bigger wheels.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Grey water.. I'll likely just pump it over board and it won't be anything that is a problem. For recreational boats there are no regulations.
Ahh, right, Alabama.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #13

Alabama
Florida as well - https://floridadep.gov/water/domesti...ssel-discharge

We use biodegradable soap and I doubt my half cup of cold coffee going overboard will do much damage
Old 10-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #14

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway1 View Post
Hi very interesting boat . I can only guess what the response would be if you were arriving at desert campground with the boat in tow asking for a site . It would be a mob of people trying to get pictures & videos of it.
Make it yours and enjoy camping in it . You will now doubt make many new friends in your travels when you drop anchor in a park somewhere wet or dry.
Best wishes on your project , Duane

It's size on the inside is on par with a scamp 16 so my goal is have it setup as a land and sea and river and lake campground.

Should make getting a camping spot easy.