And I think state park camping is expensive - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
And I think state park camping is expensive

Not sure this is camping; certainly not my style.
It was opening weekend for glamping on Governors Island, and things were a bit rocky. First, there were the rocks. Thanks to weeks of alternating torrential rain and baking sun, the grass hadn’t come in, creating a lunar landscape around the tents. Then the liquor license hadn’t come through, leaving the beautiful new wooden bar high and dry. Finally, there was the throbbing bass of house music coming from the raucous Pinknic rosé festival on an adjacent plot of land.

But once the music stopped at 9:30 and the blazing sun dipped behind the Jersey City skyline, the magic began.

Thousands of lights in Lower Manhattan twinkled like constellations, and the glowing green Statue of Liberty waved goodbye as hordes of wine-buzzed, pastel-clad revelers raced for the last ferry home.

The glampers were alone. Joining the Willmotts at Collective Retreats on the island’s south end were scores of other campers in 37 tents ranging in price from $220 to $650 ($75 tents are available on Tuesday nights, and some tents go for as much as $850, depending on demand). Some were roasting marshmallows in the fire pit, some eating $120 prix fix meals in the permanent Three Peaks lodge; others played beanbag toss.
More at this link
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 5.52.34 AM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I think I’ll go with the rates and conditions in my home state of Iowa where there is some
State park camping as high as I think $21 but most is 16 to 20 dollars and the tenting sites are under $12. They do have some cabins and yurts but I’ve not priced them as I’m not in the need with the Escape. Music
is a group called The frogs and the crickets,
Bright lights are the stars at night. And if you listen real close, you can hear the corn grow.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think I’ll go with the rates and conditions in my home state of Iowa where there is some
State park camping as high as I think $21 but most is 16 to 20 dollars and the tenting sites are under $12. They do have some cabins and yurts but I’ve not priced them as I’m not in the need with the Escape. Music
is a group called The frogs and the crickets,
Bright lights are the stars at night. And if you listen real close, you can hear the corn grow.
Iowa Dave
Iowa has great State Parks and they are reasonably priced .
We used to camp in Wisconsin State Parks but the cost is more than we are willing to spend and the lax rules on alcohol ruin the camping atmosphere for us
We are heading to Iowa in 3 weeks for a 5 day camping trip with our grandkids
I highly recommend Iowa for your next trip / vacation .

Iowa Dave is just an added bonus
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Different strokes...

Last time I was in that area I stayed in a NJ state park, drove to a national park on the Jersey shore, parked the car, and took a ferry to see the NYC sights, including a ride to the top of the World Trade Center.

Don't remember what the tent site cost, but I'm guessing under $20/night in 1986. First year teachers have to be frugal on their summer vacations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Denton
Trailer: shopping
New York
Governor's Island is a nice place and the ferry to get there on the weekends is free. You can walk around or bring your own bicycle. There is the NYC sold to tourists ($850 glamping, $1000 theater tickets, and $2000 restaurant meals), and then there's the city for the rest of us. Lot's of fantastic free stuff. We're not very car friendly tho. Like the other poster said, leave the RV some distance away, take a bus in, and have a blast.

Here's a free view from the free ferry.
Attached Thumbnails
gov.jpg  
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
State parks here in Oregon are expensive. I think about $35. But for the electricity, water, glorious scenery and spacious campsites at most locations, it is worth every penny.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #7

Name: Rose
Trailer: Dutchman Lit
Iowa
To Iowa Dave

I am from Northeast Iowa and my favorite spot is Yellow River State Forest. I have a 1972 Hunter II.Yellow River is primitive but beautiful quiet and peaceful. Last winter I took my camper to Quartzside Arizona for 3 months. Loved it. I travel with my 13 year old Britney Spaniel Allie.
Rose Magner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryTheresa View Post
State parks here in Oregon are expensive. I think about $35. But for the electricity, water, glorious scenery and spacious campsites at most locations, it is worth every penny.
Is there a day fee for the parks on top of the camping fee? When we were in Oregon a few years ago our National Parks Pass was accepted at state parks. Is that still happening?
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I've never seen a state or county campground where the camping fees didn't also grant you day use.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I've never seen a state or county campground where the camping fees didn't also grant you day use.
You've not been to Texas then!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Wisconsin and Michigan require you to buy a park sticker in addition to the camping fee
Camping in Wisconsin requires you to pay a $27 to $31 camping fee ( electric only - no water - no sewer ) plus buy a park sticker plus a reservation fee if you make a reservation
The last time we reserved a campsite for 3 days in a Wisconsin State Park
we paid a $93 camping fee -$35 for a park sticker and a $10 reservation fee
If you want to bring a bike and ride on the bike trails Wisconsin charges an additional fee
We can camp at an Iowa State for $19 which includes electric and water plus you don’t need a park sticker
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
You've not been to Texas then!
well, I have camped in Texas just once, last December we drove to north-of-Dallas, bought the Escape, ate BBQ (Old House BBQ in Lewisville), spent the night at a campground by a lake (Lake Park Campground, in Lewisville), and drove out the next morning. I guess that was a city campground.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #13

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
well, I have camped in Texas just once, last December we drove to north-of-Dallas, bought the Escape, ate BBQ (Old House BBQ in Lewisville), spent the night at a campground by a lake (Lake Park Campground, in Lewisville), and drove out the next morning. I guess that was a city campground.
Yep. Texas STATE parks charge camping and entry fees.
Old House BBQ is great - had many a lunch there.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Magner View Post
I am from Northeast Iowa and my favorite spot is Yellow River State Forest. I have a 1972 Hunter II.Yellow River is primitive but beautiful quiet and peaceful. Last winter I took my camper to Quartzside Arizona for 3 months. Loved it. I travel with my 13 year old Britney Spaniel Allie.
Oregon sites may be a little pricey, but Oregon doesn't nickel-and-dime you. What they have, you get-- all they have for that one price. Free showers, sometimes a free dishwashing station...day use...whatever. It's yours included. Beachfront sites if you can snag them (we did). Same price. I was able to walk easily right down onto the beach...it was great. Beachside State Park, mid-Oregon coast. I reserved that site only a few weeks before we left, too.

NO, Oregon State Parks and State Recreation Areas don't charge you more for day use if you're camping there! They don't charge for trash, or showers, or various programs, either. And we got in on campers appreciation day (free camping for all on that one day) and they handed out (delicious) free cake after going around the whole park and inviting every camper individually.

Looks like Idaho State Parks add cost to every amenity...and you can have a free site if you are a legal Idaho resident who is also a 100% disabled veteran. I can't say we won't camp in Idaho, but we'll know ahead of time we're not getting any deals. (Not at this point, anyway.)

BEST
Kai
Old 07-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #15

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
As stated above, Texas charges for nightly camping and in most state parks, price varies somewhat depending on hookups. Then you pay a per person daily entrance fee. Runs the tab up pretty quickly if you stay very long.
My big complaint with the State of Texas is that many of the lesser popular state parks don't fill up very often and sites sit empty. They complain that they don't have the monies to operate and send out request for money donations by mail and advertisements in various forms. I would like to see them accept the Golden Age Passport (the name has now changed) the Feds offer, and maybe fill up these unused campsites and not have to keep asking for donations. Like the old saying that "10% of something is better than 100% of nothing". The fees the State of Texas charges keeps us away when we can stay at Corp of Engineers campgrounds for a lot less money. We stayed in a state campground 6 weeks ago out of necessity for two nights at $72 for the two of us and this did not include reservations fees. Probably why you see so many "oldies" in Corp campgrounds. I have suggested this to our powers that be and have never received a reply. Just my 2 cents worth.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I have made revenue producing suggestions to recreation oriented organizations at all levels of government for many years. Many times these were in the form of information which I knew to be policy and practice in other areas that I could see working well in the location at hand. I’ve talked to legislators, directors, campground hosts, park managers etc etc. very little action was ever taken. It’s very hard for these folks to admit that there people out there who are smarter than they are. However, in casual conversation with no suggestion for improvement or revenue generation when I mention a 32 year career in parks and recreation, they will often pick my brain. Depends on which way the conversation and the politics are flowing.
Can’t usually fix stupid.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
John Linck: Hi! Good topic!
"Not sure this is camping"

We had a discussion on FGRV about that a while back, I'm sure you can find the thread...I love to get some things settled in my own mind, and the issues: camping vs not camping intrigued me, so I started researching the word and the concept.

Ultimately, the one common point I found in all definitions and uses of the word camping was this:

TEMPORARY. Hence, one can camp out in the living room...without a fire, with central heat...one can camp while moving every day, or camp for weeks or months in one spot. One can camp clean, dirty, or glamp...one can cook 6-course meals or eat cold beans from a can one hacked open with a rock. One can camp with a fire or no fire, ever. One can make smores and squat under a blue tarp , or one can camp in a $380,000 fully self-contained RV.

What one cannot do and still call it camping is to make it a permanent situation. Hence, a "tiny house" in a set place is "permanent…" as is a trailer set up in a trailer park and intended to be one's long-term home.

Anything that you know is "temporary" is "camping, and what you consider "permanent" or "long-term" is not. Even if you're in a tiny trailer and building an outsidire every night.

I know everyone has their own criteria, and I respect every one of them...but the only thing that really, really must exist for it to be camping is the element of temporariness. (H(

So this isn't your idea of proper camping...and I have to say, it's something else, but it does sound like it's temporary. So...

Though, of course, as the mother in "Moonstruck" said to Cher: "Everything is temporary!" So there's that.

So I guess the question now is: "How long is temporary?"

BEST
Kai
camping out in my whole, temporary life
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #18

Name: Morgan
New York
Registry
It should be noted that this is not what you would pay at a NYS campground. Governor's Island is not a NYS campground. We just got back from camping at a NYS campground, where the charge was $22/night. That includes everything, but the showers are located near the beaches for the convenience of the people coming for the day, or because they didn't want to spring for showers in more than one building; and there are no hookups, nor paved site pads.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #19

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
In Kansas and Colorado you pay a separate day pass fee and then your camp fee at all State Parks. In Wisconsin you pay more for a day fee if you are not a WI resident.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:31 AM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Not sure this is camping; certainly not my style.
It was opening weekend for glamping on Governors Island, and things were a bit rocky. First, there were the rocks. Thanks to weeks of alternating torrential rain and baking sun, the grass hadn’t come in, creating a lunar landscape around the tents. Then the liquor license hadn’t come through, leaving the beautiful new wooden bar high and dry. Finally, there was the throbbing bass of house music coming from the raucous Pinknic rosé festival on an adjacent plot of land.

But once the music stopped at 9:30 and the blazing sun dipped behind the Jersey City skyline, the magic began.

Thousands of lights in Lower Manhattan twinkled like constellations, and the glowing green Statue of Liberty waved goodbye as hordes of wine-buzzed, pastel-clad revelers raced for the last ferry home.

The glampers were alone. Joining the Willmotts at Collective Retreats on the island’s south end were scores of other campers in 37 tents ranging in price from $220 to $650 ($75 tents are available on Tuesday nights, and some tents go for as much as $850, depending on demand). Some were roasting marshmallows in the fire pit, some eating $120 prix fix meals in the permanent Three Peaks lodge; others played beanbag toss.
More at this link

Staying in a yurt in a Washington State park in the peak season on a weekend will cost you between $60 to $75 a night. Plus of course reservation fees also you need either an annual pass or a one day pass. But you won't get room service and you have to bring your own sheets.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote