And you thought it was BAD before! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
My wife and I go camping every Summer with our eldest daughter and her family If we want two camp sites adjacent to each other in a Wisconsin SP we need to make reservations in January . Even during the week we have been turned away from state and county parks because they were full .
The days of getting a site without reserving a site well in advance are disappearing even in the off season .
We camp at Two Harbors Mn on the shores of Lake Superior every summer and if we want a site we need to book it on Jan 1st or 18 months in advance .
We found the same issues trying to book a site in the Florida Keys !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
.....we want a site we need to book it on Jan 1st or 18 months in advance .
...!
Same with me and my brother... we try for nearby sites at a very popular place. The booking window opens nine months in advance and on that day it looks like this...

https://youtu.be/v17f407_uLI?t=53
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #23

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Glendale
Georgia
I'm seeing an impact in Georgia!

Campgrounds here after full most of the time and campgrounds are raising prices. One has raised there monthly rate from $550 flat to $650 Plus electricity! If I had money to invest, I would be building a campground!
K4kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #24

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Same with me and my brother... we try for nearby sites at a very popular place. The booking window opens nine months in advance and on that day it looks like this...

https://youtu.be/v17f407_uLI?t=53

Been there, Done that. National Park CG. Got what we wanted. Checked 20 minutes later - all gone.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyoung View Post
Been there, Done that. National Park CG. Got what we wanted. Checked 20 minutes later - all gone.
Same here.. BTW there is another technique that can sometimes be used to snag a site at a campground that sells out fast. But I don’t want to make it well known and add to the competition.

However, highlight from here on and just maybe….

OK, Its only at some places.

ReserveAmerica says this:
‘A "Create Availability Notification" Link may be displayed above search results when no matching inventory is available for your dates.
*NOTE: At this time, Availability Notification is provided only for certain partner agencies.’
So if an “Availability Notification” option is available, set it up and have it sent to an email address that you will get right away, then jump online and you might get lucky.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #26

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
In the Se we find that even making a reservation you need to start months before, The funny thing is though that many times when we get to a campground either COE or State 1/2 the sites are empty until Friday check in. Than they are full till Sunday check out. Being retired we check in generally on Sunday and leave on Friday. It appears that folks reserve the sites in advance than if they cancel 24 hrs in advance it doesn't cost them anything, but the sites show reserved till the day before
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #27

Name: C
Trailer: Looking
Missouri
Hotel Motel pools, Camping at Wal Mart is open 24/7/365 days a year just pick a parking spot and camp away...Ö
energizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
Itís not more campers

Parks have now gone to reserve a year in advance. If you want to go next year, reserve the night before you leave to your favorite spot. Leap year two days prior. People reserve and cancel at the last minute so stay on top of your favorite sites. I have to move sites every night to go where I love to be in July. Things will change, but I check multiple times per day for cancellations. It stinks. Minnesota Northshore fully booked from June through October or will be.

I miss you guys since I sold my Scamp due to grand and her family joining. Iíll be back.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #29

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
I know in MN. You HAVE to have a reservation in our state parks now. And you can book 1 year ahead. I do this many times, as I want to visit parks early. Last month (before the water got turned on!) I was the only one in the park for a few days! It was awesome! Off season is the best time to go, if you ask me, but some donít have that option. Many have a problem when traveling, when you donít know how far you want to go during the day. I donít like to plan that much on vacation, but now I guess we have to! That is a bummer to me...
Deb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
In the Se we find that even making a reservation you need to start months before, The funny thing is though that many times when we get to a campground either COE or State 1/2 the sites are empty until Friday check in. Than they are full till Sunday check out. Being retired we check in generally on Sunday and leave on Friday. It appears that folks reserve the sites in advance than if they cancel 24 hrs in advance it doesn't cost them anything, but the sites show reserved till the day before
My last trip one site was open for an entire week (sold out campground that only had 30 sites). I asked the CG clerk about it. A person had paid for two weeks in advance, no refunds, and sure enough they showed up on day eight and stayed for the duration. This at a campground that was about $56 a night.

I stayed at Phantom Ranch at the Grand Canyon last November. Cabins then were booked 13 months in advance. You also had to pay for all food in advance. Yet upon arrival, about a third of the cabins were empty, yet fully paid for. Now I have heard they have gone to 15 months in advance. That far in advance, things change. I think they would do much better booking 3 months in advance instead. But they made their money regardless.

AS far as Walmart, personally, I much, much, much prefer Cracker Barrels instead. First they have dedicated parking for RVs. Secondly, they tend to be in nicer areas. Third, you can walk in a get a good breakfast and dinner too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #31

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
AS far as Walmart, personally, I much, much, much prefer Cracker Barrels instead. First they have dedicated parking for RVs. Secondly, they tend to be in nicer areas. Third, you can walk in a get a good breakfast and dinner too.
The good thing about Walmarts is there are normally other RV's around and it is open all night. We had a bad experience in Cracker Barrel when we were the only trailer in the parking lot. About 2am a car pulled up right beside our trailer and sat there idling for about 20 minutes. We peaked out and could see 4 men inside smoking. They left without getting out of the car, but it had us concerned and making plans on what we would do if they did get out.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Buy a boat!
Busterryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #33

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I would think go north in summer and south in winter??

Yep this year we traveled North and I Mean North. Can I ask how many of you have drove the Demptster Hwy, The Top of The World Hwy., Chicken to Tok? spend a few days in Dawson Creek, temperature around 65*F daytime and nights around 58*F one can enjoy lifeby getting a good nights sleep, also see some very interesting tours on Dredges, some working still, Matter of fact we watched Tony Beets and his crew getting ready for another season though he did not catch us peeping through the bush. One thing about this country is that in 1898 they cut all the trees down for many miles around then 118 years later they finally grew back but mostly Deciduous. Did you know that moose, Grizzly Bears can hide behind trees plus they suggest one to have bells attached to their body in such away it scares the bears away. Yep I talked to a Hunter who told me he was stalked by a moose one season said he never knew it was behind the tree 17' away.
Anyway we are now in Fairbanks Broke down from all those terrible roads we traveled on up here with a Bad Ground and got saved by Good Sam again, seems like each one of our units comes down with some kind of ailment this time they first thought it was Starter no it turns out possibly bad ground or no ground. Well Know in the morning as we wait for the Monday work crew to show up and give us the News. I also found out you do not want to break down up here in big rig like ours as it could cost upto and or more than $10,000 for a 70 mile tow, scary isn't it so as usual we got a good Mechanic who got us into town from about 80 miles from Fairbanks and saved us some $$$$ I hope. Well Visit here for a few days as still contemplating the Arctic Circle Road trip then from here to Denali, Anchorage and around there then back to Tok as it is only way back to Canada to get to Valdez & Haines Jct. and Haines itself. Then we start to work our way home again.
But you folks do not know what your missing as lots of room to camp 10 months out of the year and possibly 12, also Boondocking room if no camp spot and I can tell you now you do not need a ac at night to cool off most times u need the heater on to warm up.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #34

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Good report Stude. Complete with capital letters and punctuation!! Keep on truck'n ( bus'n ).
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Abuse of the reservation system is a problem that can be addressed through policies. Concessionaires have little incentive- they make more money on empty, paid-for campsites, but park administrators set the ground rules.

I did notice on a recent visit to a popular AZ state park during peak season there were only 1 or 2 unused, reserved sites each night, and none sat vacant for multiple nights. That's pretty good management.

CA state parks forfeit the remaining reservation after a no-show. That helps those looking for a spot without a reservation, but it means the site was blocked for another reservation. At a popular spot in peak season there were typically a handful of unused sites (out of 200) each night.

If, say, 20% or more of sites are routinely reserved and vacant, that would be an indication to me that abuse needs to be addressed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It starts with selfish campers who knowingly tie up sites for their convenience.

It really sucks to drive by sites that remain empty yet being told they are sold out.

On trips way up north, even then, at least some reservations are required, depending where you want to stay. We are heading to AK in August. Reservations at Denali NP? A must. We are also staying in a Canadian NP on a Monday and Tuesday, they only had two sites left when we booked those reservations. And of course, you have to drive through at least part of the continental USA before you get that far north, and often reservations are required too.

I did a trip to AK four years ago without a single reservation. I never had a problem (although I did not secure a site at Denali, so that was a bit of a problem). But that trip was all with a tent. Pull up to a full campground, and more than likely, they have room for a guy on a motorcycle with a tent. This time with the Escape (and my wife) I am doing more planning.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #37

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
CA state parks forfeit the remaining reservation after a no-show. That helps those looking for a spot without a reservation, but it means the site was blocked for another reservation. ....
Many if not most of the places I have been to in the last two years have a policy that requires you to set up camp on the first day of your reservation. That has not been a problem for me yet, but if I do find myself delayed a day due to breakdown or whatever, I guess I will have to try and call and beg to let me keep my reservation. Losing a choice week long reservation because you have a short delay is not fair, but neither is overbooking when you don't really intend on using a choice site the entire period.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Many if not most of the places I have been to in the last two years have a policy that requires you to set up camp on the first day of your reservation. That has not been a problem for me yet, but if I do find myself delayed a day due to breakdown or whatever, I guess I will have to try and call and beg to let me keep my reservation. Losing a choice week long reservation because you have a short delay is not fair, but neither is overbooking when you don't really intend on using a choice site the entire period.
I don't know about other places, but I believe I read in the CA policy that if you contact the park (or the reservation system, can't remember) by a certain time, they will continue to hold the reservation. It's all spelled out in the confirmation e-mail. If I were making the rules, I would limit that to a one-day extension to prevent abuse but allow for legitimate and unavoidable delays.

Whatever rules you make, people will find loopholes. With demand far outstripping supply, the incentive to game the system is great. It's a continual management challenge to curtail abuse and provide maximum access for the most people. The saddest situation happens when publicly accountable agencies abdicate their management responsibilities and let concessionaires make the policies.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Here in Colorado I sit up until midnight 6 months in advance of the booking window to try and get a spot and often times by the time you make a couple of clicks the site you wanted is already gone.

It does not seem that long ago when you could head up early on Friday and have you pick of dozens of great locations but not anymore.

I really despise the reservation system, you have to play dirty or you will not get a decent site here in Colorado along the front range.

We took a family trip this weekend that was reserved in December (all sites sold out the day reservations opened) and my sister and I were talking about how ridiculous it is to go camping in Colorado now days. she is pretty fed up and about to sell their camper because they have to make reservations so far in advance and something always comes up for example her kids were sick this weekend or her husband's work schedule changes.
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #40

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
I would advise a young person starting out to become an RV repair tech.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote