And you thought it was BAD before! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
And you thought it was BAD before!

Finding an available Campground site is going to get a LOT TOUGHER!

Wholesale RV shipments to hit all-time high in 2018

rvdailyreport.com/industry/wholesale-rv-shipments-to-hit-all-time-high-in-2018/

Ronnie Garrett

UNITED STATES — RV industry shipments will reach 539,900 units in 2018, marking nine straight years of growth and – for the second consecutive year – the highest annual total since such data has been collected, reported RVIA.

This figure is a 7 percent increase from the previous record of 504,600 units shipped in 2017. Shipments for 2019 are predicted to grow to more than 550,000 units, which would be a third straight record-breaking total.

The new forecast, along with first quarter 2018 industry shipment totals, were announced today by Frank Hugelmeyer, president of the RV Industry Association, as part of remarks he delivered at the association’s Committee Week luncheon.

Shipments totaled 137,086 in the first quarter of 2018, an increase of 13.4 percent from 2017. Among towable RVs, growth was highest among truck campers (which shot up 69 percent), and travel trailers (up 15 percent). Motorhome shipments saw steady growth with Type C shipments reaching their highest total since the early 1980s.

“This is the longest period of sustained growth the RV industry has seen,” said Hugelmeyer. “Our manufacturers and suppliers are justifiably proud of shipment gains made year-after-year for nearly a decade.”

Added Hugelmeyer: “These increases are attributable to factors we can control, such as ongoing product innovations, and those we can’t, such as recent growth in wages and household wealth.”

The favorable RV outlook is based not only on continued modest gains in key economic indicators, but also on the increasingly favorable population trends that will manifest themselves over the next several years.

For instance, the number of Americans between 55 and 74 years old, always a sweet spot for the RV industry, will reach 79 million in 2025, 15 percent higher than that age group totaled in 2015. And 72 million millennials, who are beginning to embrace the RV lifestyle, will be 30-45 years old in 2025.

SOURCE: RVIA press release

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
in MHO this is a flash in the pan. Most RVs sit in storage lots and seldom used. Tents are stored in the attic never to be seen again. Sleeping bags are hung on the clothes line until the spouse throws them away and claims somebody came into the back yard and stole them.

Not to worry. Things will change.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
"shipments will reach 539,900 units in 2018, marking nine straight years of growth"

Some flash.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Agree with Byron. This being a FGRV forum, we know that a large % of those 500,000 new RVs per year are simply stick built RVs replacing short-lived, worn out stick built RVs!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Say what you will, the RV industry has seen steady growth now for a number of years. And, I've noticed more crowds at campgrounds. There are some state parks here in Texas where I don't even bother to go, knowing that they're full, or that the check in line is a several hour wait. That's ok with us though - there's always boondocking, and we prefer it most of the time.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Say what you will, the RV industry has seen steady growth now for a number of years. And, I've noticed more crowds at campgrounds. There are some state parks here in Texas where I don't even bother to go, knowing that they're full, or that the check in line is a several hour wait. That's ok with us though - there's always boondocking, and we prefer it most of the time.

I've not had any problem camping. I use National Parks, and National Forests, and BLM campgrounds. A couple weeks I went to near the Oregon coast and there was only 2 camp sites occupied when I got there and a couple of nights with 3. One of them was campground hosts.

I shun RV resorts. aka State Parks and up.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've not had any problem camping. I use National Parks, and National Forests, and BLM campgrounds. A couple weeks I went to near the Oregon coast and there was only 2 camp sites occupied when I got there and a couple of nights with 3. One of them was campground hosts.

I shun RV resorts. aka State Parks and up.
We prefer BLM camping and National Forests as well. Unfortunately, there is little public land here in Texas, so those type places are mostly out of state for us.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
We prefer BLM camping and National Forests as well. Unfortunately, there is little public land here in Texas, so those type places are mostly out of state for us.

I'm not sure when you camp, but I've never had problems at Padre Island NP, but I camp in Texas in the winter.

Other places not too far away, LA Nibletts Bluff just across the Saban River near Orange, TX. Just to name a couple.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure when you camp, but I've never had problems at Padre Island NP, but I camp in Texas in the winter.

Other places not too far away, LA Nibletts Bluff just across the Saban River near Orange, TX. Just to name a couple.
The National Seashore is always an option, as well as the area around the wildlife refuge area you mentioned. Some other options are the Davy Crockett National Forest or Sabine. We prefer the Hill Country mostly however, so it usually means a State Park or an out of state trip.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Well, out on the west coast anyway, don't even think of just pulling into any state park, (of which there are very many out here,) without an advanced reservation. They start taking paid reservations 9 months out, and if you haven't booked by the 8th month out, it is doubtful that you will even find a site that hasn't already been booked, including the handicap/ADA sites. On rare occasion, there might be a last minute cancellation, but don't count on it.

The parks out here are wonderful, but unfortunately, they are always full, except in the dead of winter.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #11

Name: Kevin
Oregon
Just wondering what the name of the campground is where there were only 2 sites occupied? We are on the Central Oregon Coast and would love to find a place like this. It's usually pretty full
ChevyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Sold ?

The 539, 900 represents the number built , not sold . At east in my area of California, many of them will end up on Dealer's huge back lots, along with the 500,000 from last year ! And according to many of the owners of these big stick-built trailers, they go almost directly from the dealer showroom to the dealer repair facility where they sit for months ! ! (LOL) David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #13

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
Boomers

The baby boomers have always been the “pig in the pythons belly!” They change industries everywhere as they age.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Every year thousands and thousands of RV's are built and sold, and it has been this way for 60 maybe 70 years.

Even stick builts will last many years if well maintained.

Which means there are probably millions of RVs in the USA and Canada that can be used.

But the biggest factors in how many are on the road or being used at any specific time is vacation or camping time available to the owner or renter, and gas prices. When gas prices go up, RV usage and purchases go down.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
in MHO this is a flash in the pan. Most RVs sit in storage lots and seldom used. Tents are stored in the attic never to be seen again. Sleeping bags are hung on the clothes line until the spouse throws them away and claims somebody came into the back yard and stole them.

Most RVs have always sat. So when they sell more, there are more sitting, but there are more on the road too.

I'm seeing more and more baby boomers dropping serious $$ into RVs, particularly motorhomes. I'm amazed the people that can afford the $300K to $600K large motor coaches, or even higher priced.

The more popular state parks in Florida are booked 13 months in advance. Zion NP is booked six months in advance. Just came back from a trip to Colorado, campground there is booked 60 days in advance. And by midday the first day sites are available, they are 100% booked.

I used to arrive to Zion, mid week, in the morning (10AM +/-) and I always scored a primitive site (that can handle a trailer, just no hookups). Realize by the first of June, it is typically really hot in Zion. We were there in late May 2017 and the high temperatures were 105F. Never got really cool at night. Could not get a site, so we camped elsewhere.

Camped last week in the middle of nowhere in Kansas, town of 2,000. City run campground was completely full on a Thursday night (first come, first served). I am seeing more work crews camping. People that are working on road projects or whatever.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
I know what you mean Bill. We had to make reservations a year in advance for Hunting Island S.C. We are getting ready to spend a week at Ridgway state park in Colorado and made that reservation back in April! Also, there are a lot of You Tubers promoting the nomadic rv lifestyle which has a bunch of folks jumping on that bandwagon.

Happy Travels All!

Roy
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #17

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Camped last week in the middle of nowhere in Kansas, town of 2,000. City run campground was completely full on a Thursday night (first come, first served). I am seeing more work crews camping. People that are working on road projects or whatever.
I've noticed that too. Another thing I've noticed is quite a few "permanent" residents of RV parks.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Long term residents in RV parks are there because it is the cheapest way to live in many areas, not just for construction workers but for people that have low paying jobs.

We stayed at Huntington by the Beach RV park in LA for a week and 80% of the residents were long term and working. I talked to a couple of residents. They said they do not earn enough to afford an apartment.

Private RV parks near Nashville, TN, where I live, are populated by people in similar circumstances.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
The baby boomers have always been the “pig in the pythons belly!” They change industries everywhere as they age.
My wife and I were born in '64 and '61, respectively. Does that make us the pigtail?

Definitely feel like we're getting the boomer leftovers- higher SS taxes, later retirement, lower benefits, "supernova" healthcare system... More to the point here, we've often taken one of the last few open sites at our favorite campgrounds.

I agree it's a problem, and investment in public parks and campgrounds would be great but politically difficult considering all the other boomer-related costs.

But the sky is not falling. On the plus side we've only once had to change plans because nothing was available, and we have gotten better at the reservation game. I figure upwards of 95% of RV's are parked at any given time.

Not so cars, and road congestion is a more pressing problem. The solution for both is the same. Find the places less traveled.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #20

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink

Quote:

I tend to agree to most of that. we retirees prefer to camp "during the week"(Sun-Thur nites) nites..almost always a mad scramble of 'weekenders' leaving Sunday morning.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote