Annoying and sometimes Frightening wild Critters! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Most Feared Wild Critters
Bears, they can sit on you 6 18.18%
Coyotes, they steal our dog toys 1 3.03%
Wolves, They eat small children 1 3.03%
Terradactyls, you can't pet them 3 9.09%
Skunks!!!! PU! 3 9.09%
Snakes, They wiggle 9 27.27%
BUGS!!! They bite! And get in your coffee! 6 18.18%
Raccoons, destructive little buggers 2 6.06%
Stellar's Jays, They are EVIL 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake

Name:   250px_Hornet_vespa.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  32.3 KB

I really have a big problem with HORNETS/WASPS especially when I catch fish and am trying to cook them for dinner. Some how they fine our camp and BAM!, they bring all the relatives.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yellow jackets - that's a good one! Boy, do I hate those guys.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #23

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Although I voted (snakes) it's not so much that I "fear" them - I have a fairly reasonable concern for my kid's safety since a few are poisonous enough to do reasonable damage to a kid. The reason I selected them is that they have a tendency to lay VERY still either IN or NEAR enough to hiking paths that you can be on top of them before you know it (literally - stepping on one followed by the snake's retaliation is reasonable).

If I ever camped anywhere in Bear country - that's likely what I'd vote for though. I've got a pretty healthy respect for any animal that's willing to (and capable of) rip the door off a car to get a cracker.

My son however is freaked out by hornets. Specifically the ones that show up at a campground we've been to a couple times. Course, they are about an inch and a half long with retractable stingers that look to be about 1/4 inch long.

When the big kids were younger - they'd panic when they saw a horsefly.

When my daughter was much younger she'd run screaming away from "Spiders so small you couldn't see them".

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
I just can't resist but to throw this in. When I was a small child fishing wih my father near Whitehorse, I was bitten by a horsefly underneath my chin. The screams could be heard for miles I'm sure. Close by was an elderly Native woman with her husband. Although she couldn't speak English, she made the motions of putting ear wax on the sting. Amazing it really worked taking the sting away. Moral of the story don't clean your ears before going on a holiday.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I wrestled with voting for the one most capable and/or likely to cause real harm ("What scares your the most"), and the one capable of the greatest annoyance.. and went with skunks as the latter. Bugs are, of course, more annoying in total, but for ability to wreck your day in a single event, skunks win. That smell just doesn't go away easily.

I have a healthy respect for the genuinely dangerous (bears being the only ones on the list that have any chance of actually encountering), and thus little fear of actually being hurt by them. For me, bears get a high score for level of damage, and a tiny score for probability, so I'm not worried.

I like coyotes; I spent a while one day in a Jasper National Park campground trying to get a decent picture of the local resident... but failed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote