Another Clue to Hunter History - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Another Clue to Hunter History

I found two business cards preserved beneath a thin layer of fiberglass on the rear wall of my 1973 Hunter Compact II. They read:

“Manufactured by C. & G. Fiberglass Products, Inc. Chatsworth, California. John Coffield, President and General Manager.”

It would be very nice if someone had enough time, talent, and patience to tease out the history of these little travel trailers and their close relatives. I lack at least two of those criteria.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Hunter
Ohio
Registry
Hunter Business Cards

Hi, where exactly where those cards? I can not tell by the photo where in the camper that is exactly. I want to see if we have any.

Thanks,
Mike
Mfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I wondered if the similarity of a Hunter to a Meerkat was more than just a resemblence. It appears not.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunter.jpg   Meerkat1.jpg  

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I believe the meerkat is a bit closer in style to the eurbia puck trailers
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Here is a link
https://www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/211458144987911307/
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Compact
California
What close relatives?

Are there really “close relatives” to the Hunter FG trailers? What are they? How are they related?
John Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandtonic View Post
Are there really “close relatives” to the Hunter FG trailers? What are they? How are they related?
Depends on what you consider a 'close relative." If you're talking shape and with a pop top, there really is quite a few: Complete list of Compact style trailers with pictures

I consider ALL brands of all-molded-towables to be kissin' cousins.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
When you have design parameters as in 13' long, about 6' wide and add in a low enough roof to fit into a garage, as is the length of the trailer along with a pop up canvas area.

In order to be cost effective in terms of material and labor the production method that works best is a fiberglass mold into which chopped fiber can be applied by spraying. Therefore what you are going to end up with is a group of products that have a very strong resemblance to each other but with some design variations. Copying what other people have had success with using technology that is not tied up in restrictive patents and you will end up with multiple brands that bear a strong resemblance to each other. No need to reinvent the wheel and spend a fortune on product development.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Meerkat and Eriba Puck

Good catch on the Meerkat - Eriba Puck similarity. They seem quite similar. This thread and post from someone familiar with both Says the Meerkat was at least inspired by the Puck. Appears they still make Eribas, maybe not Pucks:

"I miss mine but must admit, like my Meerkat now. It is very similar as it was designed from it but miss the back big tilt window. Meerkat has sliders. Also miss the table design of Puck versus Meerkat."

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...080&start=1760

Meerkat's site says this:
"About Us
After years of being a dealer for many smaller trailer brands new and used, we came to the conclusion that no one trailer fit our specific camping needs perfectly. We then adopted ideas from many different trailer lines new and used and developed the MeerKat. We wanted a stand up trailer that would fit in a garage and weigh in at less than 1,000 pounds. We wanted a hanging closet and comfortable bed with cooking capabilities, and an Icebox. We also wanted good ventilation."

https://www.meerkattrailers.com/about-us/

In England, Eriba is part of the Hymer family, the German company that acquired Roadtrek vans in Canada. Hymer has lit a fuse in the Class B van category. I've seen references to 1951 Eriba Pucks, 1968 Pucks, 1988 Pucks, and they appear to be in current production.
https://www.eriba.com/en/

"We're the Russos" is an entertaining YouTube channel by a couple of nerds fulltiming in a very nice Hymer. Here they tour a Hymer with a Westfalia style loft bedroom. I have fond memories of a Westfalia, but not fond enough to want it back. The new tall vans are a huge improvement.

Beyond this, I know little. ...Back to Hunters.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrost View Post
Hi, where exactly where those cards? I can not tell by the photo where in the camper that is exactly. I want to see if we have any.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, the cards are on the rear wall, right side. They are near the interior wiring of the right side taillight.

Brian
Old 06-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandtonic View Post
I consider the Campster by Trailswest and the Hunter Compact Jr. to be closely related. First, the mold design is very similar. Second, if you look at the advertising brochures for the Campster and the Compact Jr., (look in the "Document Center" that is located on the "More" tab of this website) you will see that the verbiage on one sales ad is virtually a cut-and-paste from the other. This suggests the possibility of common ownership or that one company succeeded the other.

If you search this site for Family Wagon, you might be willing to conclude it is a later use of the same mold used for the Hunter Compact II.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #12

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
All I could find about C. & G. Fiberglass Products, Inc. and John Coffield was that on 10 Nov 1973 the Oxnard Press Courier newspaper stated that C&G was in the "reinforced plastics field & manufatured RV components, including van tops, boats, decorator panels and plastic facades for the building trades. They at that time employed 25 people, but were moving to Valencia, California on 1 Dec 1973, as a tenant of Newhall Land & Farming Company, and expected to then have 80 people working for them".

C&G Fiberglass Products was registered with the state of California on 13 October 1970, with an address of 8383 Wilshire Bvd, Beverly Hills, 90211. Registration was suspended with the last statement date being 12 April 1972.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote