Another drifting away - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Another drifting away

Folks........

At this point, the combination of age, health, and the #%#$#$%@#$@#!!!!! virus have precluded me from road camping this year, and all have brought me to the point of selling my much loved Casita, and waiting 'till next year to see if anything tempts me enough to return to RVing....either through a rental or a purchase. My buyer is picking up NASA42 (stood for "Not Altogether Spacious Accommodations For Two") tomorrow at noon and heading back to Maine.

Although I don't regret the decision and the sale, I still feel a bit mellow about the change. This'll be the 1st time in 49 years I'm without a trailer, and in 27 without one of the NASA brood . And I have really enjoyed sharing thoughts with those of you active on the forum, I will probably stick around a bit 'till next year's final decision is made.

Frank ​​​​​​​
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Best wishes Frank
Old 08-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Sorry to see you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA42 View Post
Folks........
At this point, the combination of age, health, and the #%#$#$%@#$@#!!!!! virus have precluded me from road camping this year, and all have brought me to the point of selling my much loved Casita, and waiting 'till next year to see if anything tempts me enough to return to RVing....either through a rental or a purchase.
Frank ​​​​​​​
I also have not yet been on the road this year. Mine is currently set up in front of the house, and the only camping "trip" was to my boondocking lot for the 4th.
At the same time new people are coming to the life style BECAUSE of covid.
I do feel the road calling.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
"Although I don't regret the decision and the sale, I still feel a bit mellow about the change. This'll be the 1st time in 49 years I'm without a trailer, and in 27 without one of the NASA brood . And I have really enjoyed sharing thoughts with those of you active on the forum, I will probably stick around a bit 'till next year's final decision is made."

Pick up a project over the winter. Once you start working on it the itch will return. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Thanks for posting, Frank. Hope your health improves!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Frank. Sorry to see you go, but clearly you've enjoyed a lot of good RV years.

At 85 I know I'm not too far from that decision. Just keepi'n at it one year at a time.
Best of luck guy.

Walt
Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Frank. Sorry to see you go, but clearly you've enjoyed a lot of good RV years.

At 85 I know I'm not too far from that decision. Just keepi'n at it one year at a time.
Best of luck guy.

Walt

I’m 84 and started rving in 1962 with an Apache Scout tent trailer. Tent over the bed on the trailer and on the ground. Have had every kind of rv except no motor homes. Now on my second fiberglass, an Escape 19 when the EggCamper wasn’t quite satisfactory. The fridge was too small, no door on the bathroom, and the dinette converted into a bed too short for an adult. The weekend after Labor Day I’m going to the Michigan fiberglass rally. I may be an old fart but I’m in pretty good health so not giving up rving.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Folks.....

Thank you all.....

When I signed off on the "Drifting" posting, I skipped my normal closing, because I felt it wouldn't be quite right. But I've since found that someone else has already found the right way to get the meaning clear. If you go online to YouTube, request Ralph McTell's "Somewhere Down the Road"......... and enjoy!

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks you

Quote:
Folks.....
Ralph McTell's "Somewhere Down the Road"......... and enjoy
Frank
I've never heard it before, but I've felt it MANY times. Like every year when I leave my family reunion.

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks to both of you. That seems so fitting.

Walt
Old 08-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2018 Parkliner
Utah
Quote:
Folks........

At this point, the combination of age, health, and the #%#$#$%@#$@#!!!!! virus have precluded me from road camping this year, and all have brought me to the point of selling my much loved Casita, and waiting 'till next year to see if anything tempts me enough to return to RVing....either through a rental or a purchase. My buyer is picking up NASA42 (stood for "Not Altogether Spacious Accommodations For Two") tomorrow at noon and heading back to Maine.

Although I don't regret the decision and the sale, I still feel a bit mellow about the change. This'll be the 1st time in 49 years I'm without a trailer, and in 27 without one of the NASA brood . And I have really enjoyed sharing thoughts with those of you active on the forum, I will probably stick around a bit 'till next year's final decision is made.

Frank ​​​​​​​
Like you, cut off from enjoying the rig due to the intense heat, health challenges and pushing 80. It's tough and you have to grieve losing those connections. Hope "Somewhere Down the Road" you get a chance to get out again.
ecmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
….The weekend after Labor Day I’m going to the Michigan fiberglass rally. I may be an old fart but I’m in pretty good health so not giving up rving.
Nah you won't skip the rally because you miss me too much What is this "may be an old fart" I'm pretty sure you are an old fart, I mean if I'm an old fart you darn sure have to be an old fart, frankly you just miss being a cranky old fart by a smile.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Have to do what makes you happy and seems the best use of your energy, time and money. If that turns out to be getting another camper then so be it. If not then perhaps you will find other ways to travel and enjoy the out of doors.

I have plans for one more long trip, at the most two. Then it will be mostly long weekends in the state. Older I get the less I enjoy driving a few thousand miles for a "vacation".

If one closes a door it can be a good time to look for new doors, or to rediscover old doors to activities long since set aside. Heck I have given some thought to taking up fishing. Haven't done it in 20 years but came across my tackle box and got me thinking. So if you get a new camper good, if you don't well more time and resources for other things.

They say skydiving is fun. I'm going to take their word for that though.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Very Nice! Thanks!
Robert Reighter is offline   Reply With Quote