Another - GENERATOR USAGE thread - my take after a trip out - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #41

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
So this is a great idea, but I thought I read somewhere where they were not safe? I can crack the window/roof vent no problem, but are there safety issues with fire or leakage with these heat buddy’s? Thanks!

You should check for leakage when you change out the gas bottle. I use a little soapy water. Unlike gas connections hidden behind appliances you cannot check. I believe this heater may be safer than a fixed unit. Just make sure it is vented for the reasons stated above and placed away from anything that would burn. Portability is an advantage. As for hot water we just heat it on our portable propane stove when we are without hookups. I also have a coffee maker that runs off the small bottles.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #42

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Smile Generator and Pet Free Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Another observation It appears that more and more National Parks and campgrounds are limiting more and more generator usage. Many places I've been have a generator free area even some limit the usage to 4 hours a day in 2 two hour segments.
A generator free area should be welcome for those who would like it, and I would also like to see more "pet free" areas so we do not need to watch where we step or put up with dog or macaw noise.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #43

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post
Generators present their own special problem. Namely, noise that intrudes upon the experience of others who are seeking peace and quiet. I have had camping trips ruined by their racket.

I really can't think of any other issue that causes so much conflict, or prompts such angry discourse. But it does so for a justifiable reason.

One suggestion would be for folks who need electricity for medical or other reasons to utilize campgrounds with hook-ups. We use them anyway, so we can avoid listening to generators.
I didn't realize the whole generator thing was such an issue but I am a camping newbie. I was riding my electric bike around this past summer and rode through an RV park at Horseneck beach Westport Mass.

Everyone had generators going because there were no hookups available. I didn't give it a thought until reading this thread. Thanks for the lesson I will keep it in mind.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
James,

Are macaws becoming a general nuisance?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #45

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Personally I can't get much power from a macaw,
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #46

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post
Generators present their own special problem. Namely, noise that intrudes upon the experience of others who are seeking peace and quiet. I have had camping trips ruined by their racket.

I really can't think of any other issue that causes so much conflict, or prompts such angry discourse. But it does so for a justifiable reason.

One suggestion would be for folks who need electricity for medical or other reasons to utilize campgrounds with hook-ups. We use them anyway, so we can avoid listening to generators.
RV parks and also some of the state parks, county parks, etc often have a set of hours designated as quiet times when running a generator is not permitted.

Residential neighborhoods in the cities have designated quiet hours where noise that can be heard at a particular distance above certain decibel levels is not permitted.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Do macaws respect quiet hours? I wonder if the list of "camp rules" covers Macaw behavior? There could be a real issue here!
Old 10-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I don't know about macaws, but I camped under an aluminum street light at Sun Lakes Park Resort (Dry Falls State Park) & a Northern Flicker insisted on rat-a-tat knocking on the sheet metal housing every morning at 5:00AM. You wouldn't believe how loud it was! Particularly annoying since he eventually stopped, I would fall back to sleep, and he'd start again...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
a Northern Flicker insisted on rat-a-tat knocking on the sheet metal housing every morning at 5:00AM.

Mating call. Freaks you out when you're inside the house and he's working on the stack from the furnace room.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #50

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I would like to read your answers to the following simple question. Is it acceptable for a camper to run his or her generator for up to 4 hours between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM? My answer is yes.
That depends on the campground.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #51

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I would like to read your answers to the following simple question. Is it acceptable for a camper to run his or her generator for up to 4 hours between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM? My answer is yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That depends on the campground.
Not quite... is it acceptable to the campground? That depends on the campground. Is it acceptable to the campers? That depends on the campers. That is the point being made by most.

My experience is that for the most part people are entirely self-centered and oblivious to others around them. Whether it is running a generator, blocking the grocery isle with their cart, or not picking up their dogs (or Macaws) poop, most people think they are the only humans on the planet that matter.

OK, maybe that was a bit harsh.. but how many of you can relate?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #52

Florida
Personally when I ran my generator at Pfeiffer Big Sur I moved the Genny (Very quiet by the way, to the end of the extension cord as far away from other campers as possible.
You could hear it of course, but no louder and probably quieter than the Honda inverter generator running a few spaces down the road who ran til 8:00 pm.
I can't see running it if not necessary for a number of reasons, irritating you neighbors not the least.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #53

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
James,

Are macaws becoming a general nuisance?
The Macaw (noise) part of my reply was more or less to lighten the mood on this thread, but my main point was to find "pet free" campgrounds in the future for a more pleasant camping experience (noise and poop).
After thinking about this thread, I have come to the conclusion that the generator issue is really a non-issue. If generators are allowed, expect them. If you do not want to hear them, go to a campground that has electricity. The human factor of consideration for others would be to be sure to use a "quiet" generator and follow the rules.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
The human factor of consideration for others would be to be sure to use a "quiet" generator and follow the rules.

As I noted earlier, that doesn't stop a neighbour for glaring at you for the rest of your stay.
I placed my Honda EU1000 i at the rear of my trailer, the exhaust facing the woods behind. No campers in that area. Ran the generator only as required, during allowed hours.

I could still feel the heat from my neighbour, 100 feet away.
Attached Thumbnails
Kettle 2016.jpg  
Old 10-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #55

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
OK im always interested in a social experiment. I can place me generator near but far from some other campers and measure their "glare." To make it scientific I will do it with the generator running, and then with it off. But to be sure my study is accepted by the scientific community, how do I measure the camper's "glare?"
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #56

Florida
Not to the point of measuring GLARE units, but the measure of beauty is the Helen as Helen of Troy had the beauty to launch 1000 ships.
Beauty to launch one ship is 1 milli Helen.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
To make it scientific I will do it with the generator running, and then with it off.

You don't need to start the generator. If your fellow camper sees it; that's enough. Might want to see what happens if you use it to prop up solar panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda.jpg  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #58

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
We cruise through campgrounds looking for a spot and if we see a generator we keep moving as far away as possible and even farther or depart if it is a rack generator.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #59

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have had to edit a couple posts where either generator or solar enthusiasts were being a bit insulting of the other group. You have every right to your position, I just ask you please keep your comments a wee bit nicer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #60

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
As long as we have a wide variety of RV type people, we are going to get many differences in what kind of gear is needed to use our RVs. Using as much respect others as one can possibly do is what is needed.

I think a lot of the challenge of using a generator or not comes from the backgrounds of campers. There are many of us who for many, many years did backcountry travel in all kinds of weather and survived enjoyably without it. To me, any kind of a trailer, even in its most basic form is a luxury, and most of the people I camp with are in this group. Others start camping much later in life as a way to relax and see things without using those darn hotel/motel places. I have a few good friends in this last camp, and their first attempts at using an RV included having as many of the luxuries of home in their trailers. Most have come to realize this is just not needed.

In this age with solar having become much more affordable and effective, I have really enjoyed turning to it for my battery charging needs. I love that I can camp anywhere without relying on 120V. If I am in a campground with services I will gladly hook up and use it, mostly for the water heater and electric air heater, the two things I can't run off my inverter, though can always use propane if needed as well.

I fully understand that those that need air conditioning in the deep south in summer months, and have no electrical hookups available, would need a genset to provide A/C. As we don't live in an area like this, and only travel their in colder months, it is easy for me to avoid.

I think as trailer campers move further into the future, that genset usage will continue to drop as I have seen it do for a while now. I mostly see it with the big RVs that often have it built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
One guy in Vally of Fire in Nevada put his generator behind a big rock so he couldn't hear it - it was on our side of the rock with the exhaust pointed right at us.
When we were there this past January, there was one evening where a very loud generator against one of the large rocks was running while others sat around their campfires. It was quite annoying and when he finally shut it down, there was quite the loud whooping of joy from many other campers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osos1 View Post
We cruise through campgrounds looking for a spot and if we see a generator we keep moving as far away as possible and even farther or depart if it is a rack generator.
We often do the same. It is a preference for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator